Jets Extend Bryan Thomas

shutout

A good move.Thomas has played the run well and has done a good job in pass coverage.He's starting to rack up the sacks as well now that we've been mixing it up on defense.He's had 4 sacks in the last 4 games.

Couple of thoughts. If this was done at the right price I am very happy. Also with the current regime in place I have no doubt it was done at the right price.

5.5 sacks, can anyone imagine what Bradway would have paid for that?

Again, I really appreciate Bryan Thomas-he has always been there to fill in for Mr. John Goldbrick Abraham whenever he'd decide he didn't feel like playing.He's done everything asked of him here and maybe,no,he hasn't lived up to the sack machine he was drafted to be but he has never bitched-not once.

It's also his first year in the 3-4, as was it for everyone else around him. It's not shocking that his sack total was lower early-on; people were running a lot more on us (with success).

Don't tell Bit I said so, but a lot of Thomas' sudden sack total has to do with him clogging the middle on running plays better of late. And it's not just sacks; he gets pressure on the QB when he doesn't register a sack also. I only anticipate him getting better as his & everyone else's familiarity with the schemes increase.

Further, I like the idea that he may have taken less than his UFA potential so he can stay here. He has 5.5 sacks now. If he gets 3-4 more over the last 5 games, he'd have likely gotten a far better payday.

Kudos to Thomas, and kudos to Mangini/Tannenbaum for making sure this got done ahead of time.

Thank you Tannenbaum for getting this done, one less worry in the offseason, I'm sure Thomas took a little less than he could have squeezed out of free agency (should he continue to improve this year as he has) and that makes me a big BT fan. So thanks to BT as well for wanting to be a part of the future of this franchise which is starting to look pretty decent.

I like the move. One less hole to fill in the off-season and a highly touted player that finally beginning to make plays. A little more time in this system will show us just how good he can be. I love the way this FO operates.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Put Adalius on the other side & let offenses figure out which one is rushing the passer.

Thomas is the PERFECT player for this kind of defensive scheme. He can rush the passer, he can stop the run, he can cover TE's and RB's. He's the PERFECT Mangini player. He's Bryan Thomas except ALOT better.

Speaking of decisive moves. I woud be really really happy if they announced a new contract for Cotchery. I have to think his price already went up by a bunch.

Good call. I'd love to see the Jets start doing business like the Eagles. Give young guys long extensions in their 3rd/4th year if they prove they can play.

ESPN.com has learned that the extension can be worth as much as $25 million and it includes $9 million in guarantees.

Is this still a good signing?

it really depends on the specific terms. don't forget that the cap just went way up and should climb again the next couple of years. $9M is not nearly as significant as it was a couple of years ago.

when the jets drafted this guy, I thought ed reed is still there what are they doing. in the past three years I thought man we could of had ed reed. Thomas started playing well, and I thought well, we could of had ed reed, but at least Thomas is playing better then the water boy. I'm glad we resigned him as long as the contract was a good one. I just hope he will continue to improve.

Archived