Larry Johnson, how many years left?

DireJet38

---Johnson is on pace for 410 carries, which would tie the NFL record set by Atlanta's Jamal Anderson in 1998, the Kansas City Star reports.

VIA ESPN.

Herm is riding a big Johnson.

But eventually it's going to bust.

Discuss this on every level possible.

all depends if he beats up any more girls and gets thrown in slammer to have his arse greased for 10 to 20 years.

---Johnson is on pace for 410 carries, which would tie the NFL record set by Atlanta's Jamal Anderson in 1998, the Kansas City Star reports.

VIA ESPN.

How about: "How many weeks does Johnson have left?"

VIA ESPN.

I had this conversation with my brother yesterday. As long as Herm stays in charge I give LJ 3 years. Herm is going to kill him.

I had this conversation with my brother yesterday. As long as Herm stays in charge I give LJ 3 years. Herm is going to kill him.

For once, I have to agree with a Patsie. (Oh horror!)

I've said this since the first games. Herm is killing LJ and he's doing it very blatantly. Even in the games where the outcome is clear, he continues to run him on every play. I think LJ might even start to struggle sooner than 3 years. Once the injuries start, it will all go down fast.

did anybody catch Inside The NFL on HBO this week? Johnson is on there talking to Carter about how it's so much better to have a black HC because he knows where they've been and what they've (black players) been through-ridiculous-pretty crappy to still have to hear that kind of stuff in the 21st century

did anybody catch Inside The NFL on HBO this week? Johnson is on there talking to Carter about how it's so much better to have a black HC because he knows where they've been and what they've (black players) been through-ridiculous-pretty crappy to still have to hear that kind of stuff in the 21st century

ya i saw, ,chris carter is a arsewipe,,

left out part of LJ being a multi arrested felon, wife beater,,, maybe vermeil didnt like that ,,,

plus even more silly is Herm is half white (mom) and grew up in middle class san fran area..integrated high school etc.

as far from hood as you can get..

its just another case of a turd, LJ, using something other than his turdishness as a excuse,, its always someone elses fault..

in this case LJ is blamin the White Devil Vermeil,,whata arse

Again, but for Dick Vermiel, Herman Edwards might( I stress might) be at best a high school coach in Northern California. Vermiel, I believe, was a QB at UCLA, so this idea that he wandered onto a football field one fine day to suddenly take the helm as a head coach (via some racist conspiracy, perhaps?) is laughable. Vermiel has forgotten more about football than Edwards and Johnson together will ever know.

This is what happens when players get the message from the front office(see "New York Giants") or from their head coach like babbling Herman Edwards that their media profile is very important. You can knock Belichick (and Mangini too) for treating the media like a contagious virus, but it's what works. Sooner or later when you're as dumb if talented as Larry Johnson is, you'll say something really dumb. At least Mike Strahan and Tiki Barber have a clue. Wonder how Johnson's gonna feel in about 3 or 4 years when his knees have turned to sawdust given his 400+ carries this year. May be sooner.

If a white guy said this about a black coach, he'd be well on his way along the "Michael Richards says he's VERY SORRY! "Tour.

ya i saw, ,chris carter is a arsewipe,,

left out part of LJ being a multi arrested felon, wife beater,,, maybe vermeil didnt like that ,,,

plus even more silly is Herm is half white (mom) and grew up in middle class san fran area..integrated high school etc.

as far from hood as you can get..

its just another case of a turd, LJ, using something other than his turdishness as a excuse,, its always someone elses fault..

in this case LJ is blamin the White Devil Vermeil,,whata arse

two good points by SJ and Bugg here-that was the other thing I was gonna put in the post about Herm-as IF he was a homey or something...and Bugg is right about if a white player had said that crap-there's no room in this society for this kind of divisiveness-be it from a black or white or brown or yellow person...cut the crap

Ok, let's go Paul Harvey and remember the rest of the story.

Vermeil did not want Johnson. Johnson is a Carl Peterson draft pick and Vermeil was hardly silent about how he did not like the pick.

Then after Holmes started getting unjured, Vermeil went with Derrick Blaylock before Johnson. Any Jets fan want to comment or have seen Derrick Blaylock lately?

So Johnson had to sit for a year and half with a HC who openly said he did not want him there, listen to all the talk that he was a typical PSU back (i.e. bust) and watch a lesser talent get starts before him.

I am not saying Johnson is right, but there is some valid reasons to hate whitey.

PF-

Vermiel probably had his fill of reclaimation project reprobates after what he went through with Lawrence Phillips. Vermiel may have talentwise been wrong, but you can certainly understand why he thought that way about another talented jerk like Johnson.

PF-

Vermiel probably had his fill of reclaimation project reprobates after what he went through with Lawrence Phillips. Vermiel may have talentwise been wrong, but you can certainly understand why he thought that way about another talented jerk like Johnson.

Maybe.

A coach, especially one that was famous for being a player's coach, might should have been a little more tolerant.

I think Johnsonn is a bit immature, but he did not get any help from his coach.

PF-

and maybe,just maybe that attitude of "I ain't listening to this old white guy" affected the way he carried himself in film rooms,meetings, and the practice field.Giving Vermiel all the more reason to KEEP the man down.Blaylock put up numbers behind Priest Holmes when he filled in-look it up-I recall like a 165 2 TD type day once upon a time in a land far far away...

Maybe.

A coach, especially one that was famous for being a player's coach, might should have been a little more tolerant.

I think Johnsonn is a bit immature, but he did not get any help from his coach.

Haven't you seen Invincible?

Vermeil gives everyone a chance.

BWAH!

What's more sad is that even in the 21st century we still have racism, and people don't want to acknowledge that. There is a certain truth to what LJ said, there's no denying it. I don't think he meant Vermeil is one of those people, but it's certain that Hermy has faced more problems because of his skin color than Vermeil has. But even aside from that, he may not have really meant to draw attention to that specific fact.

People always prefer working and getting advice from those that have had similar problems. That doesn't mean they won't work for another person without thinking about it, but it does mean that they understand a good situation when they have one. One of the reasons Pedro chose to come to the Mets is that Omar Minaya knew the cultural norms that he preferred, so he saw a good situation and took advantage of it. The only difference is Pedro knew how to say it with more tact than LJ did apparently.

I have a ton of friends of different races. I can safely say that even in a supposedly tolerant area like NYC, there is a ridiculous amount of racism that goes on. If you ever become really good friends with a few minorities, and these minorities actually have lives and go out and do things, chances are you will hear an instance where they've been victimized, or know someone that has been. All it takes is for one stupid person to be racist. I think the majority of people aren't, but there are more than enough that are to make it a problem, especially since the majority that aren't don't do anything to balance out the minority that are.

I don't think any white person should be commenting on LJ's comments. That would be like a man talking about child birth not being a big deal. We simply do not know how it is becuase we don't have to experience it.

"I don't think any white person should be commenting on LJ's comments. That would be like a man talking about child birth not being a big deal. We simply do not know how it is becuase we don't have to experience it."

Turn it around,and have a white guy say he cannot play for Denny Green. Let's see how that plays. Either way it's despicable to judge a man by his color or background above anything else, though I'd say it's more likely having to do with Johnson being an immature tool. Either we're all grownups or we're playing word games. Cannot have it both ways.

His beloved black coach has a German, blue-eyed blond-haired mom.

"I don't think any white person should be commenting on LJ's comments. That would be like a man talking about child birth not being a big deal. We simply do not know how it is becuase we don't have to experience it."

Turn it around,and have a white guy say he cannot play for Denny Green. Let's see how that plays. Either way it's despicable to judge a man by his color or background above anything else, though I'd say it's more likely having to do with Johnson being an immature tool. Either we're all grownups or we're playing word games. Cannot have it both ways.

His beloved black coach has a German, blue-eyed blond-haired mom.

Re-read my post, I never said anything about not playing for a boss of a different race. In fact, I hinted at it not even being thought of. I'm not sure what situations would be particular to being a white person though that Denny Green would not have faced, that are negative. For the child-birth example, that's particular to women. There isn't really a corresponding counterpart to that in men. Regardless, if a white person prefers to play for a white coach, I don't see what is wrong with that either. You can prefer something without it being necessary. Edward's mother doesn't really matter much, because racists tend to believe in the "one-drop" rule, and Edwards is clearly not fully white, so he wouldn't be able to hide it while growing up. If a white coach grew up in an area where whites were discriminated against, I would think that coach would be able to relate more with players that grew up in the same type of setting. I don't think that happens though.

Ok, let's go Paul Harvey and remember the rest of the story.

Vermeil did not want Johnson. Johnson is a Carl Peterson draft pick and Vermeil was hardly silent about how he did not like the pick.

Then after Holmes started getting unjured, Vermeil went with Derrick Blaylock before Johnson. Any Jets fan want to comment or have seen Derrick Blaylock lately?

So Johnson had to sit for a year and half with a HC who openly said he did not want him there, listen to all the talk that he was a typical PSU back (i.e. bust) and watch a lesser talent get starts before him.

I am not saying Johnson is right, but there is some valid reasons to hate whitey.

ever think LJ was a thug and a turd in the locker room,, vermeil wanted this turd off his team and out of his locker room..

it's certain that Hermy has faced more problems because of his skin color than Vermeil has.

But for his skin color you wouldn't even know who Herm Edwards is b/c he never would've made the jump from DB coach to HC. If anything, Herm's skin color has been an asset in forwarding his career.

Socially, I don't doubt that what you wrote was the case though. But professionally it's only helped him.

And LJ is a racist turd. He "tuned out" Vermeil not b/c he thought he was football-stupid, but because he was white.

and maybe,just maybe that attitude of "I ain't listening to this old white guy" affected the way he carried himself in film rooms,meetings, and the practice field.Giving Vermiel all the more reason to KEEP the man down.Blaylock put up numbers behind Priest Holmes when he filled in-look it up-I recall like a 165 2 TD type day once upon a time in a land far far away...

I thought it was 4 TD's. I may be wrong though.

But for his skin color you wouldn't even know who Herm Edwards is b/c he never would've made the jump from DB coach to HC. If anything, Herm's skin color has been an asset in forwarding his career.

Socially, I don't doubt that what you wrote was the case though. But professionally it's only helped him.

And LJ is a racist turd. He "tuned out" Vermeil not b/c he thought he was football-stupid, but because he was white.

True, I think Herm has benefitted greatly from taking advantage of his race. I don't think that's true for MOST of the black coaches in the NFL though. Lovie and Marvin Lewis are both just damn good, and should have been HCs sooner. I'm sure there are a ton of other examples we don't know of, although I think that is slowly changing. I think the NFL doesn't really have much of a problem in this regard, because wins are what matter the most. A little nudge I guess was needed in the first place, since it was a problem awhile ago, and maybe I'm too early to declare it not a problem. I also think in the business world, the medical field, and also in the legal field, it isn't a problem because these are all so results based. The problems come where results aren't the requirement and people are allowed to use their own discretion, and that is usually a social problem, as you mentioned. I think LJ believes Herm can relate on a social level, and perhaps help him out that way. God knows Herm doesn't bring anything to the table on a professional level, so he must really be good at that. By the end of the season, I expect LJ to be a great self-marketer. I don't think hermy would have ever made a statement like LJ did, and I am sure Hermy let him know it was a mistake, and they're probably working on a diversion strategy right now. He might be a terrible football coach, but Herm knows marketing and public relations better than the back of his own hand.

Archived