PROOF that I once believed in Herman Edwards:

Bob

There's a website that archives old websites. I looked up my own site and found a 2001 version. Here's a commentary I wrote back then. I was wrong about a LOT of things. :lol:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050422111053/http://www.geocities.com/bobthejetsfan/comment.html

After you made that commentary. Herman Edwards led this team to more playoff seasons(3) in 4 years than Parcells did in his 4 years here. The Parcells/Groh Jets went to the playoffs once in 4 seasons.

I am not comparing Edwards to Parcells but you guys are nuts if you think that Edwards has done a bad job as the head coach of The Jets.

Under Edwards, The Jets have been a winning program. They have been a good football team.

Coaching

Something needed to give, and it did. Al Groh will be remembered for his team's season-ending fold far longer than it will be remembered for a strong start. The fact is, Groh tried to be Parcells, and he just isn't. It was time to try a different approach, and Herm Edwards seems to be just the right fit. A celebrated teacher and motivator, he has installed new systems on both sides of the ball and, just as importantly, installed a new attitude in Hempstead. Players who had quit on the old regime, and were on their way out the door, are now happy to be Jets. Those who feel that Edwards' lack of experience may be a negative factor cannot be dismissed, but it is important to note that he is surrounded by experienced coordinators. We already mentioned Westhoff and Hackett. Add defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Ted Cottrell to that mix, and you have a solid mix of instruction, motivation and innovation. We believe this is the right coaching staff, at the right time, for the New York Jets.

you weren't all that sweet on Herm then looks like you didnt know much about him just like most of us didnt, you were wrong about the coordinators though thats for sure, but alas yes you didnt hate him straight out the gate, it probably took you a couple of games Bob :mrgreen:

Not bad Bob, you actually hit on a few good ones.

But here are a couple of my favorites:

"Rookie LaMont Jordan figures to make an immediate impact by giving Martin some much-needed rest."

Did Savage co-author that with you?

"It was time to try a different approach, and Herm Edwards seems to be just the right fit"

Must have been because of all his NFL DC experience.

"Those who feel that Edwards' lack of experience may be a negative factor cannot be dismissed, but it is important to note that he is surrounded by experienced coordinators. We already mentioned Westhoff and Hackett. Add defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Ted Cottrell to that mix, and you have a solid mix of instruction, motivation and innovation. We believe this is the right coaching staff, at the right time, for the New York Jets".

A "solid mix of instruction, motivation and innovation" when describing Hackett and Cotttrell? :^o

"The Jets will battle the Indianapolis Colts for the AFC East championship. If the players adjust to the new systems well, and if Herm Edwards turns out to be the real deal, this team can compete with anyone. Jets fans should approach this season with enthusiasm!"

And the one constant that Jets fans do every single season: Pick the Jets to win the division. :lol:

BTW, Pats won the AFCE and the Super Bowl that year, just in case you forgot. :wink:

Bob, that's funny stuff. As much as I flame on Herm, Max found some very old posts of mine on JI and sent them to me a while back. I can't believe half of the sh*t that I wrote defending him back then! Very embarrassing. :oops:

There's a website that archives old websites. I looked up my own site and found a 2001 version. Here's a commentary I wrote back then. I was wrong about a LOT of things. :lol:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050422111053/http://www.geocities.com/bobthejetsfan/comment.html

Hackett, yes. Matthew Hatchette, too.

Not Cottrell. If he had been allowed to implement the defense he had in Buffalo, all would have been well. Herm screwed with it, though, trying to play the Tampax Bay defense without the guys to do it.

Then he threw Cottrell under the bus.

Herm Edwards is a bitch. Fooled me four years ago, though.

Not Cottrell. If he had been allowed to implement the defense he had in Buffalo, all would have been well. Herm screwed with it, though, trying to play the Tampax Bay defense without the guys to do it.

Herm Edwards is a b!tch. Fooled me four years ago, though.

I love the work Teddy C did with Minnesota's defense last year. Were they 31st or 32 last season?

Tice has taken away some of the gameplanning duties from Teddy C.

Herm didn't sabotage Teddy. Where oh where is Teddy's infamous 3-4 defense in Minnesota. Is Mike Tice being a b!tch and screwing Teddy there too.

Herm didn't sabotage Teddy. Where oh where is Teddy's infamous 3-4 defense in Minnesota. Is Mike Tice being a b!tch and screwing Teddy there too.

He didn't??? :^o

Then was it Woody or Bradway who forced the Cover-2 down Teddy's throat?

And was it also Woody or Bradway who forced Hackett to continue to run the WCO when Vinny was at QB?

Obviously, the Buck always seems to fly right past Hermy's desk. :shock:

He didn't??? :^o

Then was it Woody or Bradway who forced the Cover-2 down Teddy's throat?

And was it also Woody or Bradway who forced Hackett to continue to run the WCO when Vinny was at QB?

Obviously, the Buck always seems to fly right past Hermy's desk. :shock:

You are obviously trying to rile me up. Edwards gave Teddy too long of a rope. Just like he did to hackett and those guys were hired by Bradway not Herm.

Herm was a rookie head coach that wasn't even allowed to shape his own staff.

He had no history with Teddy and a history with Bradway and Hackett.

Teddy was allowed to bring his own defensive assistants from Buffalo and he was given the assistant head coaching tag.

Ask yourself this, How many assistants did Edwards bring with him from Tampa?

NONE is the answer.

Finally, last season. Edwards was given full reign over his staff and an extension.

He fired Teddy, Ruben Carter and all those other crappy coaches that came with Teddy.

He then hired Denny Marcin and Donnie Henderson. Anyone want to question those hires?

He was too patient with Hackett and The QB stood by him. Edwards finally stepped up and pulled the plug.

Herm hired Dinger because He wanted him in Tampa when he was assistant HC in Tampa.

Now, He's got him here with The Jets. He's finally got his staff.

To Dawg and others that like to rewrite History!

Herm Edwards did not turn the Jets around Tuna

Turned the 1-15 Jets around! Since 97 we had 1

losing season and who would that be?? Oh Yeah

Herm I took over a Winning Team Edwards..And before

YJF say's but he lost His Tuna drafted QB Chad!

Tuna lost Vinny in Game 1 of the 99 Season when

Vinny went to recover a Fumble from the Back that

never fumbles..Al Groh a piss poor Coach took the

Jets to 9-7 with a QB that hadn't played in a

year and had his worst year as a Jet..And the

Team hated him..Hermie went 9-7 with a Team that

Loves him and won the East thanks to 4th quarter

Heroic's from the Pats and a major brain fart from

the Fin's..But Herm gets credit?? Give me a break

or pass the Jack Daniels with a tinge of green Kool-aid! :roll:

To Dawg and others that like to rewrite History!

Herm Edwards did not turn the Jets around Tuna

Turned the 1-15 Jets around! Since 97 we had 1

losing season and who would that be?? Oh Yeah

Herm I took over a Winning Team Edwards..And before

YJF say's but he lost His Tuna drafted QB Chad!

Tuna lost Vinny in Game 1 of the 99 Season when

Vinny went to recover a Fumble from the Back that

never fumbles..Al Groh a piss poor Coach took the

Jets to 9-7 with a QB that hadn't played in a

year and had his worst year as a Jet..And the

Team hated him..Hermie went 9-7 with a Team that

Loves him and won the East thanks to 4th quarter

Heroic's from the Pats and a major brain fart from

the Fin's..But Herm gets credit?? Give me a break

or pass the Jack Daniels with a tinge of green Kool-aid! :roll:

I liked this post better when you wrote it in 2002.

You are obviously trying to rile me up. Edwards gave Teddy too long of a rope. Just like he did to hackett and those guys were hired by Bradway not Herm.

Herm was a rookie head coach that wasn't even allowed to shape his own staff.

He had no history with Teddy and a history with Bradway and Hackett.

Teddy was allowed to bring his own defensive assistants from Buffalo and he was given the assistant head coaching tag.

Ask yourself this, How many assistants did Edwards bring with him from Tampa?

NONE is the answer.

Finally, last season. Edwards was given full reign over his staff and an extension.

He fired Teddy, Ruben Carter and all those other crappy coaches that came with Teddy.

He then hired Denny Marcin and Donnie Henderson. Anyone want to question those hires?

He was too patient with Hackett and The QB stood by him. Edwards finally stepped up and pulled the plug.

Herm hired Dinger because He wanted him in Tampa when he was assistant HC in Tampa.

Now, He's got him here with The Jets. He's finally got his staff.

On a serious Note YJF..I have always enjoyed your

Posts but why are you lying??Hermie Tried to bring a DC from Tampa if you remember but Rod Marinelli wanted nothing to do with Hermie!!You must make this stuff up as most apologists do! Or show me the article that says what you profess to be the Truth! I'm really surprised at you!! And where would a Tampa DB Coach come off hiring a OC when he was with the Buc's?? BTW Here's what usually happens..A GM hires a HC! The HC hires a OC and a DC and they usually hire people that will work well in their system! Better yet..Show where any Paper said the Following, "Finally, last season. Edwards was given full reign over his staff." BTW Fat Teddy had the Asst HC label as Westoff does now..Could Westoff hire the Jets OC?? Dinger was with Denver before going to the Titans..Why was Hermie interested in him when he was with the Buc's again????

On a serious Note YJF..I have always enjoyed your

Posts but why are you lying??Hermie Tried to bring a DC from Tampa if you remember but Rod Marinelli wanted nothing to do with Hermie!!You must make this stuff up as most apologists do! Or show me the article that says what you profess to be the Truth! I'm really surprised at you!! And where would a Tampa DB Coach come off hiring a OC when he was with the Buc's?? BTW Here's what usually happens..A GM hires a HC! The HC hires a OC and a DC and they usually hire people that will work well in their system! Better yet..Show where any Paper said the Following, "Finally, last season. Edwards was given full reign over his staff." BTW Fat Teddy had the Asst HC label as Westoff does now..Could Westoff hire the Jets OC?? Dinger was with Denver before going to the Titans..Why was Hermie interested in him when he was with the Buc's again????

I'm not lying. Herm tried to interviw Marinelli last year. Not when Teddy was brought aboard in 2001.

That was a management decision. Go and ask anyone involved or who covered the situation.

When Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards were in Tampa they interviewed Dinger for their OC position. That's a fact. already documented and brought up by Herm when Dinger was hired here. Dinger was interviewed for the job when he was Denver's WR coach during their superbowl run.

It's very rare but when you are a rookie head coach. Alot of times, The GM has some power over who gets hired on the staff. The Jets situation was a rare one where Bradway put together most of the staff.

Jimmy Raye and Hackett were KC Bradway guys. Bradway hired Westhoff. Teddy brought with him Carter and Bradley from Buffalo. Sutton was retained as LB coach from Al Groh's previous staff. John Lott remained as well. None of the guys on the staff were Herm's guys from Tampa. NONE

Ask anyone, go back to the archives, Ask any beat writer with The Jets. Go do the research.

Both Herm and Teddy were interviewed for The Jets HC job. Woody and Bradway liked Teddy and asked him to be apart of Herm's staff.

Last year, Bradway stepped back and let Herm take more power. Bradway didn't get an extension last offseason. Herm did as a sign of solidarity from management. It was a window dressing move to attract free agents and new staff members after The 6 and 10 season.

Don't you follow this team at all? Is your memory bank slowing up on you?

I'm not lying. Herm tried to interviw Marinelli last year. Not when Teddy was brought aboard in 2001.

That was a management decision. Go and ask anyone involved or who covered the situation.

When Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards were in Tampa they interviewed Dinger for their OC position. That's a fact. already documented and brought up by Herm when Dinger was hired here. Dinger was interviewed for the job when he was Denver's WR coach during their superbowl run.

It's very rare but when you are a rookie head coach. Alot of times, The GM has some power over who gets hired on the staff. The Jets situation was a rare one where Bradway put together most of the staff.

Jimmy Raye and Hackett were KC Bradway guys. Bradway hired Westhoff. Teddy brought with him Carter and Bradley from Buffalo. Sutton was retained as LB coach from Al Groh's previous staff. John Lott remained as well. None of the guys on the staff were Herm's guys from Tampa. NONE

Ask anyone, go back to the archives, Ask any beat writer with The Jets. Go do the research.

Both Herm and Teddy were interviewed for The Jets HC job. Woody and Bradway liked Teddy and asked him to be apart of Herm's staff.

Last year, Bradway stepped back and let Herm take more power. Bradway didn't get an extension last offseason. Herm did as a sign of solidarity from management. It was a window dressing move to attract free agents and new staff members after The 6 and 10 season.

Don't you follow this team at all? Is your memory bank slowing up on you?

I've been to the Archives..It says Hermie hired

Hackett who he knew from KC! BTW the Story about

TB going to Tags and asking advice and Tag's

talking up Hermie is also there..It also said the

Tuna told Woody to hire TB who he knew from the

Giants..And No where does it say after 3 years as

HC Hermie is finally given free reign to hire who

he wants..And..."It's very rare but when you are a

rookie head coach. Alot of times, The GM has some

power over who gets hired on the staff. The Jets

situation was a rare one where Bradway put together

most of the staff.".. That just goes to show what I read

in the Archives that Hermie was hired to quiet Johnny

Cochran and Co who was giving Tags fit's! And Tags

liked the Idea that the Jets were a winning

Team because he didn't want the first Guy from his

Minority Coaching Program to go to a Bad Team

and Fail!! BTW they charge you for the archives!

And if anyone was looking at Dinger as a

Buc OC it was Dungy not Hermie!! You want every

thing your way..Herm was brillant as a DB and asst

HC that he wanted Dinger in Tampa but was so Raw as

Jet HC he couldn't hire his own Staff!! Bob was right!

Get over yourself!! =D>

PS A Note on Sports writers..They like you, like to

come up with a idea that they think may be happening!

Their Wrong more often then right..A point you always

make when they don't agree with what you believe! :wink:

Herm Edwards is a b!tch. Fooled me four years ago, though.

come on bob. the vikings D gave up more than 100 more points than the jets last season. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but it's his show on D now, is'nt it? no hybrid stuff.

line was directed towards PatsFanTX not you. Since you like jumping to A and B conversations. I'll C what I can say to you.

Bob. You have made a habit of being wrong on things. So keep all your archives now and come two years.

You look back on all of them and say, Boy Was I wrong?

That sounds like an ongoing theme for you.

You guys are wrong about Herman Edwards.

You say he is horrible but the record says something else.

I don't think Edwards is a great coach but he has done a good job with The Jets. I'd rate him as a middle of the pack head coach.

The facts speak for themselves. Make all the excuses you want. The facts are the facts.

The Jets have been a winning team since Edwards has been here. That's the truth. Come up with any excuse you want.

Look, YJF, there are probably enough Hermie quotes from calendar year 2001 with the phrase"...that's how we did it in Tampa" to fill this board a few hundred times.Edwards strutted around waxing poetic about his vaunted Cover 2 as if he and DUngy's shelves were collapsing under the massive weight of the Lombardis their collaboration with the Bucs had won in their tenure, and he had no problem extolling the virtues of the WCO. Paul Hackett was just peachy for him back then, and he did in fact ram the Cover 2 down Cottrell's throat. They didn't change it up 2 years running on the bye week for no reason; Edwards' defense as he wanted to run it didn't work.

I'm really tired of this "he had no control" stuff. It's crap-his title was and is head coach. If he took this job under those circumstances, that says loudly what a buffoon really he is; and you Hermaphrodites are ADMITTING IT!And if as has happened over the last 2 years (with Henderson and Heimerdinger) his power has been diluted, it's been for the better. He's been over his head from Day 1.Better a blithering figurehead with 2 very good coordinators than a blithering figurehead who has power and thinks he knows what he's doing.

Good (and funny) stuff Bob. Big kudos to you for posting it.

Regarding Cottrell, (shrugs) I just don't know.

Perhaps the blame does lie with Herm,

or maybe with Bradway for not upgrading the LBs and the backfield.

But Cottrell was certainly not blameless in this. I think that was the worst defense that I can recall as a Jets fan.

And it didn't help that he would coddle them, and give excuses like "they're trying TOO hard". LOL

I like Cottrell as a person, but as a Jets fan I don't miss him one bit.

Donnie Henderson is my hero. :)

Archived