The Wild Card

Preston Howley III

Denver, KC, Jax, Jets and Cincy are all 7-5.

Who are the favorites?

Jets and Cincy.

Denver has a rookie QB.

KC has Herm and a general tendency of coming up short.

Jax is the Carolina of the AFC. Great. Bad. Great. Bad.

Here are the schedules. You Decide.

Next week Denver at SD

Indy at Jacksonville

Cincy at Oakland

Buffalo at Jets

Baltimore at KC

12/17 Denver at Arizona

Jacksonville at Tennesee

Cincy at Indy

Jets at Minnesota

KC at SD

12/25 Cincy at Denver

New England vs Jacksonville

Jets at Miami

KC at oakland

12/31 SF at Denver

Jacksonville at KC

Pittsburgh at Cincy

Oakland vs Jets

The Jets right now control their own destiny.

Here are the tie breaking procedure.

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

(March 20, 2002) -- With the NFL realigning into eight four-team divisions to accommodate the arrival of the Houston Texans, the league adopted new tiebreaking rules.

Common opponents will now be the third tiebreaker within a division after head-to-head games and division record because each of the four teams will have 14 common games in the 16-game schedule. The owners also moved the strength-of-victory tiebreaker ahead of the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker.

The six postseason participants from each conference will now be seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.

2. The division champion with the second-best record.

3. The division champion with the third-best record.

4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.

5. The Wild Card club with the best record.

6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best net points in conference games.

9. Best net points in all games.

10. Best net touchdowns in all games.

11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

9. Best net points in conference games.

12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.

2. In comparing division and conference records or records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor since teams may have played an unequal number of games.

3. To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

4. To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different ivisions).

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.

2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule.

If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

KC is least able to make it. They have a horrible AFC W-L record (which is the #1 tiebreaking after head-to-head against non division opponents) and their final 4 games include Baltimore, San Diego and Jacksonville. Good Luck Hermy, KC could finish 8-8.

Denver isn't 7-5 yet, COMEON SEATTLE MAKE THEM 7-5!! but they still have to play Cincy & San Fran.

Jacksonville has 3 of it's final 4 against Indianapolis, New England and Kansas City

Cincinnati has still got to play Indianapolis, Denver & Pittsburgh (rivalry games are tough)

Jets get the 5 at 11-5, the Titans get the 6th at 9-7! And Troll implodes.

I think the Bengals will be the other wild card team, and I'm not sure who will be the 5 or the 6. The Titans making it in would be hilarious though, because I can picture Troll swearing in front of his VY hate shrine.

Jets get the 5 at 11-5, the Titans get the 6th at 9-7! And Troll implodes.

I think the Bengals will be the other wild card team, and I'm not sure who will be the 5 or the 6. The Titans making it in would be hilarious though, because I can picture Troll swearing in front of his VY hate shrine.

The dude is completing less than 50% of his passes. That is PATHETIC.

Forgive me for not putting him on the first train to Canton.

The dude is completing less than 50% of his passes. That is PATHETIC.

Forgive me for not putting him on the first train to Canton.

Overall he's doing better than Andrew Walter and Matt Leinart, even if not completion percentage wise, but you don't have an agenda against either of those two. Leinart gets/got way more hype too, so you'd think you'd logically hate him at least as much and make it obvious.

Overall he's doing better than Andrew Walter and Matt Leinart, even if not completion percentage wise, but you don't have an agenda against either of those two. Leinart gets/got way more hype too, so you'd think you'd logically hate him at least as much and make it obvious.

I don't hear much Leinart hype on here anymore since Peter North went back into his hole.

I hear Vince Young hype, though, so I respond to it.

We are not gonna win any tiebreakers...

It's very simple... we have to sweep.

Um... Incorrect.

We will win the tie-breaker over KC as long as we don't lose twice.

Right now Cincy has as many AFC losses as we do, they lose once to the AFC and we don't, 10-6, Jets would have 3 AFC L's, Cincy 4 - Jets get it.

Denver, same thing, 3 L against the AFC, 1 more L in AFC Jets have advantage on that.

Jacksonville is the only team we need to finish with a lower record than us unless the scenario is Jets & Jags get in.

Um... Incorrect.

Right now Cincy has as many AFC losses as we do, they lose once to the AFC and we don't, 10-6, Jets would have 3 AFC L's, Cincy 4 - Jets get it.

Denver, same thing, 3 L against the AFC, 1 more L in AFC Jets have advantage on that.

Jacksonville is the only team we need to finish with a lower record than us unless the scenario is Jets & Jags get in.

ownage

We will most likely get in if we finish 10-6... denver and KC may fall apart.

Denver because of the new qb and KC becuase of their hard record and hermy. I am afraid of cincinati, they will probably get the 1st wildcard spot. I see the Jags finishing 9-7, so we should be able to beat them out for the 6th spot if we finish a game ahead.

Go jets!

Um... Incorrect.

Sorry, I was incorrect.

The Jets currently have 4 AFC L's, not 3, so a second by most would tie that one up, in which you go to common opponents I believe but they still will have the tiebreaker over KC.

Knowing this, and seeing how horrible Seattle's run defense is, I'm going to ahead and say Denver will win this game to go to 8-4. If Denver wins out or just loses to San Diego, give them the 5 seed at 12-4 / 11-5.

At that point, they will have had to beat Cincy who would fall to 8-4 in the AFC, 10-6 overall, if the Jets lose to Minny, thats' 10-6, 8-4 as well or a Jets win out = 11-5 (Jets take it)... if they both at 10-6/8-4 then I'm not sure who gets it there.

Jacksonville we will need to either go 10-6 or 9-7, depending if we are able to win out or able to go 3-1 (again, if we lose, hope for the Minny game to be that L).

Basically this, could someone find out if the Jets & Bengals finish both 10-6 / 8-4 in AFC, who would get in?

Of course this could all be settled if this happens:

5 - Denver = 12-4 / 11-5 (1 L coming to anyone but Cincy)

6a - Jets = 10-6

6b - Kansas City = 10-6 (lose another AFC game = No matter how Jets get 6 L would give them the tiebreaker over KC)

7 - Cincy & Jax = 9-7 or worse

Allllrighty now.

Jets, Denver, Jacksonville, Kansas City & Cincinnati going for 2 spots, and all are 7-5 with 4 games to play.

May the best 2 make it.

Key games?

Denver / Cincinnati (24th I believe)

Jacksonville / KC (31st)

Other ones:

Jacksonville / Indianapolis (10th, I believe)

Jacksonville / New England (17th)

Kansas City / Baltimore (10th)

Denver / San Francisco (31st)

Jets / Bills (10th)

Jets / Dolphins (25th)

Cincinnati / Indianapolis (17th)

Here are the schedules. You Decide.

Next week Denver at SD

Indy at Jacksonville

Cincy at Oakland

Buffalo at Jets

Baltimore at KC

12/17 Denver at Arizona

Jacksonville at Tennesee

Cincy at Indy

Jets at Minnesota

KC at SD

12/25 Cincy at Denver

New England vs Jacksonville

Jets at Miami

KC at oakland

12/31 SF at Denver

Jacksonville at KC

Pittsburgh at Cincy

Oakland vs Jets

The Jets right now control their own destiny.

Just my predictions at a glance,for what they're worth:

Denver 10-6

Cincy 9-7

Jax 9-7

KC 8-8

Not gonna predict the Jets games...I doubt I'd be able to do it objectively

Look to beat Buffalo next week- the old saying play one game at a time- we take care of our game we will be in good shape

No offense intended Faba,but I've personally never understood fans taking this attitude towards the game. I mean,its not like the team will come out flat next week if we talk about the road to the playoffs.

Archived