Carucci opinions on Defensive end class for draft

faba

Vic's picks: Top 5 defensive ends in draft

By Vic Carucci

National Editor, NFL.com

Vic's top 5: Quarterbacks | Receivers | Running backs

(Feb. 23, 2005) -- One man's ranking of the top five defensive ends in the NFL draft:

1. Erasmus James, Wisconsin

Positives: Intensity, discipline, anticipation of snap, speed, variety of pass-rush moves, long arms, change-of-direction skills, closing burst to quarterback

Erasmus James is going to be phenomenal, but the rest of those guys--Pollack, Roth and Cody are all huge question marks, IMO.

Pollack and Roth are going to have to end up in perfect systems to succeed, as they are more OLB's. Comparisons to Dwight Freeney are way off, as Freeney has an incredibly powerful lower body which allows him to survive at DE. Pollack and Roth don't have that luxury. Cody looks to me like one of those juiced-up Oklahoma dudes that will be injury prone.

TS, you know what Roth has that you can't teach?

BRUTE FORCE and a nasty disposition

And by brute force I mean natural strength ... Just a natrually strong kid who will over-power even bigger OT's

When I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and I watched him closely, it seemed like every OT he faced was physically over-matched ... this kid literally had them playing on roller-skates all day ... the power and the push was awesome

TS, you know what Roth has that you can't teach?

BRUTE FORCE and a nasty disposition

And by brute force I mean natural strength ... Just a natrually strong kid who will over-power even bigger OT's

When I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and I watched him closely, it seemed like every OT he faced was physically over-matched ... this kid literally had them playing on roller-skates all day ... the power and the push was awesome

Does he have that 'farm-boy' strength, like Phil Hansen of the Bills? I LOVE those types of guys. Nasty animals. Could he be this year's Freeney--projected to go bototm of the first but moves up to the mid-firsts?

Does he have that 'farm-boy' strength, like Phil Hansen of the Bills? I LOVE those types of guys. Nasty animals. Could he be this year's Freeney--projected to go bototm of the first but moves up to the mid-firsts?

YES, EXACTLY ... That natural farm-boy strength ... RAW POWER

But no, unlike Freeney I think he'll go later than he should cause he's white and he's not a speed-rusher ... JMO

I agree with you, man. That's ALWAYS a factor. I once read an article about a player who used to play for UTennessee--he was a white wideout who was amazingly productive (can't remember the name). Anyway, they interviewed some of his coaches and they were like "He wasn't on alot of recruiting lists because he was white. Some other SEC coaches thought we were kidding when we signed him, asking us "Do you know you just picked up a white kid to play receiver?" Fair or not, it's a definite reality.

YES, EXACTLY ... That natural farm-boy strength ... RAW POWER

But no, unlike Freeney I think he'll go later than he should cause he's white and he's not a speed-rusher ... JMO

There is this misconception that he is only a product of hard working player. The guy has talent and skills and solid work ethic and tenacious-nice combo

There is this misconception that he is only a product of hard working player. The guy has talent and skills and solid work ethic and tenacious-nice combo

Exactly, and lots of times that misconception comes as a result of being a white guy who plays a position that is normally dominated by black ahtletes

I mean, we can be PC and pretend that's not true, but we know that it is and even most white guys {like myself} get a little nervous when our teams draft a white CB, WR, RB, or DE

LOL!! I must have apologized to the man like ten times

And I did say at the time that Roth was a steal in that spot ... let's not forget that part :wink:

Yeah I remember and I will never let him forget that TS. I promise though you can look it up I am not a 16 year old doing a mock draft pick. I am much older and foolish than 16.

I have to agree with faba

Roth will go later than he should cause he's white {sad, but true} ... and he'll turnout to be a massive heist

JMO

Couldn't agree more. I've seen enough of this guy play that i think he's a beast! The speed he has coming off the edge is phenomenal IMO. I've never seen his 40 time, i'm just going off what i've seen of him on the field.

Archived