Drew signs with Sox; 5 yrs, 70 million

Mavrik

Drew signs with Boston for $70 million, five-year deal

Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- J.D. Drew and the Boston Red Sox culminated weeks of negotiations by reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $70 million, five-year contract.

Drew will receive $14 million annually in the deal, which is subject to a physical. He gives the Red Sox a powerful middle of the batting order alongside David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez -- if Ramirez isn't traded.

"He's going to be a contributor. They had two big sluggers, righty-lefty, Ortiz and Ramirez," agent Scott Boras said. "J.D. has a great on-base percentage. He gives you a quality at-bat. He's an RBI guy. And he's really going to add a defensive component to that team that is, I think, really going to enhance their play, what they do both with arm strength and his ability to cover ground in the outfield. And his baserunning -- he can run a little bit. He is going to steal 20 or 30 bases. He's going to bring a dimension there."

Boras also represents Daisuke Matsuzaka. Boston bid $51,111,111 for his rights and has until Dec. 14 to reach an agreement. The pitcher's current team, the Seibu Lions, receives the money only if the Red Sox and Matsuzaka strike a deal.

"I think it's going to take a cooperative effort from three parties to get something done on this," Boras said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Easily the worst contract given out this year. Worse than Pierre's. Worse than Lee's. Giving 70 million to a mediocre injury prone player is nothing short of stupidity.

Drew is always hurt and has no heart. 5 years for a dog. It's also the precurosr to dumping Ramirez, which is a mistake. Sure, he's a lousy fielder who doens't care about staying in shape. But he scares the piss out of opposing pitchers and helps Ortiz tremendously. Good move-for the Yankees.

Drew is always hurt and has no heart. 5 years for a dog. It's also the precurosr to dumping Ramirez, which is a mistake. Sure, he's a lousy fielder who doens't care about staying in shape. But he scares the piss out of opposing pitchers and helps Ortiz tremendously. Good move-for the Yankees.

As much as I hate Sports Radio in Boston everyone in this town wants nothing to do with JD Drew. The fans and hosts have been talking about this for a while.

This guy has no chance in Boston! He is going to be booed regardless of what he does.

ESPN Insider had some "anonymous" quotes from other GMs and execs familiar with Drew and Boston and many of them predicted he'd melt down in a town with big time media and unforgiving fans. He's always played in laid back, easy going cities. Time will tell if this will be an issue for the guy.

ESPN Insider had some "anonymous" quotes from other GMs and execs familiar with Drew and Boston and many of them predicted he'd melt down in a town with big time media and unforgiving fans. He's always played in laid back, easy going cities. Time will tell if this will be an issue for the guy.

Well I have an anonymous quote that I saw on ESPN.com's main page that refers to JD Drew as Billy Meuller-esque quiet professional ball player who wont be affected by any market, large or small.

The source of the quote? Bill Mueller himself.

For whatever that is worth. Not worth anything actually...just like AFJF's quote.

I've been dreading this signing since it was announced. Drew does not excite me at all. The money I could care less about as, at the end of the day, it's not my money.

But pretty much all Red Sox fans do not like this guy so he has his work cut out for him.

I've been dreading this signing since it was announced. Drew does not excite me at all. The money I could care less about as, at the end of the day, it's not my money.

But pretty much all Red Sox fans do not like this guy so he has his work cut out for him.

Guaranteed he'll start off the 07 season slow and Red Sox fans will want his head on a platter. Guy has been an egotist and a headcase since he came out of Florida State holding out from the Phillies and wanting that ridiculous contract for a Rook.

Red Sox fans will be wanting to trade him by midseason.

If healthy he will be fine. Sound player in all phases of the game.

Drew has missed a total of 185 games in the last 4 years.

What a bum. If Manny leaves, Sox will struggle to finish 3rd in the AL East.

Finish 3rd? You think the Sox are good enough to repeat?;)

I don't like the move either. It's stupid. I don't care what anyone says.

In better news though: Jon Lester's cancer has gone into remission and he has a good chance of playing this upcoming season.

I heard this morning that it was completely gone, for now at least, and he has been given teh green light to resume "Baseball Activities". That really is good news.

You will not get more from him then you would from Trot Nixon.

You talking circa 2003 Trot or 2006 Trot? BIG difference. Look, Nixon was a dirtdog, hardnosed baller and the fans loved that. But he also was constantly getting dinged and sidelined over the past 3 years. Boston needed a new RF and #5 hitter. They have that now in Drew.

You talking circa 2003 Trot or 2006 Trot? BIG difference. Look, Nixon was a dirtdog, hardnosed baller and the fans loved that. But he also was constantly getting dinged and sidelined over the past 3 years. Boston needed a new RF and #5 hitter. They have that now in Drew.

Drew's history regarding injuries tells one that he will not be available much either. He does seem very healthy in contract "walk" years though. So he will for sure have a great 2010.;)

Archived