NASA to hold press conference today; water possibly found on Mars

Mavrik

Does water STILL flow on Mars?

Last updated at 14:04pm on 6th December 2006

Does water still flow on Mars? These dramatic new photos seem to indicate yes

Dramatic new photographs of Mars have revealed the possible existence of water on its surface.

The images - released for the first time on Wednesday by the US space agency NASA - were taken earlier this year in an attempt to unlock the secrets of the Red Planet.

Experts have long believed water was to be found on Mars, which is subject to extreme weather conditions. This latest discovery may provide vital proof there was life on Mars and that it is possible for man to land on its arid and rocky surface.

NASA researchers have documented the formation of new craters on the plant's surface and found bright, light-coloured deposits in gullies that were not present in previous photos.

They concluded the deposits - possibly mud, salt or frost - were left there when water recently cascaded through the channels.

In another photo a number of gullies on a crater wall can be clearly seen. The scientists believe that they may have been formed in relatively recent Martian history by erosion caused by flowing, liquid water.

The pictures were captured in October by the unmanned spacecraft the Mars Global Surveyor, which carries the Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC), and circumnavigates Mars, the fourth planet from the Sun in the solar system.

Earlier this week the MOC took pictures of the NASA exploration vehicle rover Spirit on the planet's surface.

Only last month British cosmologist Professor Stephen Hawking advocated missions to other planets.

He predicted that the human race will need to venture far beyond the Earth to ensure its survival, saying: "There isn't anywhere like Earth in the solar system so we would have to go to another star."

He added that there could be a permanent base on the Moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars within the next 40.

And his predictions may yet come true. NASA announced yesterday that it was resuming missions to the Moon for the first time in more than 30 years and was planning a permanently occupied base on our satellite's south pole by 2020.

The plans herald a new age of exploration and will provide a valuable test-bed for the technologies needed for future travel to Mars.

NASA has also scheduled a press conference for 1pm I believe to announce their findings.

Pretty interesting stuff. I've always been interested in space exploration, and this coupled with NASA's plans for a moon base by 2020 are pretty exciting. It's about time NASA got off their a$$es.

This is good stuff, Mavrik. I think its fascinating that we will be able to possibly colonize the moon and Mars within the next few decades.....our space program needs to get back on track with Mars because I definately think there is more up there than meets the eye.

Can you imagine the money that could be made off of beer that was made using water straight from Mars? I'm getting a head start on this, I don't have the Mars water so I'll just have to use some water from the Jersey river. Surely people will never notice the difference.

Anybody who knows anything about anything knows that we didin't even land on the moon.

Water on mars?

Yea, right.

- And the Jews knew the 9/11 attacks were coming and told other jews not to go to work and...

- TWA Flight 800 was downed by a missle.....and

- United Flight 93 was actually shot down by fighters....

Blah Blah Blah - You consiracy theorists are comical

Thanks for posting this. I'm a "science guy" and a huge fan of any of this info.

But the quote from Hawking is kinda weird. Only last month he decided there's no planet in the solar system like Earth?

Me too I'm big into this type of space stuff and wish that the country would focus more of its resources and innovation into space exploration. The knowledge and technology that would come from it would be mind-boggling.

Hawking is right in his quote. There obviously aren't any planets that are like the earth...containing just the right amount of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere...the oceans...etc.

There are many different things that have to go together just for life to be able to exist.

- And the Jews knew the 9/11 attacks were coming and told other jews not to go to work and...

- TWA Flight 800 was downed by a missle.....and

- United Flight 93 was actually shot down by fighters....

Blah Blah Blah - You consiracy theorists are comical

Who said anyhting about Jews? or Airplanes?

I'm talking about the moon.

Astronomy note to all Geeks: On Sat & Sun just before sunUP (6am), if you look ESE with binoculars (look low, right above the trees) you will be able to see Jupiter, Mercury, and Mars nearly on top of each other.

Closest 3-planet alignment in 50 years.

Note to Pats Fans: Don't look at the sun with binoculars.

Holy Cr*p, you have no idea how much the Cosmos floats me. My closest friend's brother was a Doctor of Nuclear Particle Physics at 26. I used to get completely ramped up by the incredible stuff he used to tell me. Deep space, can't even encapsulate it if I tried. He'd send me written experiments, all in glyph - complex theorems with all manner of Greek symbols and so on. I'd say, "It looks wildy familiar." "I imagine so. Many of the symbols are somewhat universal. I wrote it." And oh, yeah - smarts are hotter than Hades.

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." - Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I am an astronomy geek myself. I tried to see the meteor shower that came across last month but didn't get any views of it so I was dissappointed. I use 10x50 binoculars so that way I get a pretty good view in the evening when it's dark. From what I read on astronomy.com, the larger the aperture (second number) the better your view at night. If you have less than a 35mm aperture, seeing stars and things at night are going to be difficult.

Yeah.

My luck there'd be Patsie fans trolling around telling me how much the Jets suck.

Duhhh. Where do you think they originate from? You really think that any normal Earth born human could support the Patsies?

Of course, Dolfans are extra terrestials too, hailing from Uranus, naturally, enough.

Archived