OT, but big news: Andy Pettitte signs 1 yr Yankee deal

aec4

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Awsome news.

Biggest mistake of the Cashman/Torre era has been corrected.

It is only a 1 year deal so if Pettitte really is done the Yanks aren't going to be hung up for major bucks.

Great Great job.

The biggest mistake was trading Nick Johnson and Rivera for Vazquez but it's still great to have Andy back.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Awsome news.

Biggest mistake of the Cashman/Torre era has been corrected.

It is only a 1 year deal so if Pettitte really is done the Yanks aren't going to be hung up for major bucks.

Great Great job.

Supposedly there is a 2nd year 16 million player option.

That takes a little luster off the deal if true but not a bad signing with this crop of free agent pitchers.

Yanks should get 12-16 wins and a 4 ERA and allows them to dump Pavano on someone if they eat enough salary while keeping Proctor in the pen . Sounds like the plan is to hold the forte while the young pitchers develop.

4.20 NL ERA,even for a guy who has pitched here before, isn't going to work out. At 34/35 those nagging injuires he's had during the last few years become long DL stints. 1996 nostalgia isn't winning pennants, and if he blocks Philip Hughes from making the team out of spring training that will be a huge negative.

On the other hand, his contract, given what we've seen the last few days isn't bad. He's better, if marginally, than Ted Lilly. With this geriatric staff there will be plenty of starts and DL stints for everyone. But if Wang and Hughes are the best pitchers in September, don't want to hear Torre lose a series by starting Pettitte over one of the young guns.

One more big plus-it's almost a lock Sawx fans are about to start eating their parting nasty words upon the Fenway resigning of the now-I've-betrayed-by-the-Astros! Mercenary Clemens. Bon apettit, Boston!

4.20 NL ERA,even for a guy who has pitched here before, isn't going to work out. At 34/35 those nagging injuires he's had during the last few years become long DL stints. 1996 nostalgia isn't winning pennants, and if he blocks Philip Hughes from making the team out of spring training that will be a huge negative.

On the other hand, his contract, given what we've seen the last few days isn't bad. He's better, if marginally, than Ted Lilly. With this geriatric staff there will be plenty of starts and DL stints for everyone. But if Wang and Hughes are the best pitchers in September, don't want to hear Torre lose a series by starting Pettitte over one of the young guns.

One more big plus-it's almost a lock Sawx fans are about to start eating their parting nasty words upon the Fenway resigning of the now-I've-betrayed-by-the-Astros! Mercenary Clemens. Bon apettit, Boston!

1 His 4.20 ERA VERY misleading because of his injury issues early in the season for 1.5 of the next 2 years Pettitte has been one of the best pitchers in baseball.

2 He's not blocking Hughes. He was going to start the season in Scranton no matter what.

3 You're getting one of the best FA pitchers for a short contract.

This is a COMPLETE NO BRAINER.

1 His 4.20 ERA VERY misleading because of his injury issues early in the season for 1.5 of the next 2 years Pettitte has been one of the best pitchers in baseball.

2 He's not blocking Hughes. He was going to start the season in Scranton no matter what.

Even the most stubborn Mets/Sox Yankee haters have to admit this is a good move. Even if Pettite doesn't win 20 games next year he's still lethal in the playoffs and can still throw very hard.

Not really...in his final six seasons in New York, the only year in which he had an ERA under 3.99 was one in which he was limited to 22 starts .

Not really...in his final six seasons in New York, the only year in which he had an ERA under 3.99 was one in which he was limited to 22 starts .

Those ERA's mean nothing really. Look at ERA+. That 4 ERA was because of his tough 1st half where he was hurt and had a 5+ ERA. His ERA in the 2nd half was 2.80 and his ERA last year was 2.39.

I love the move beacuse of the length of the contract. In years past the Yankees would have given Pettite a 4 or 5 year deal.

Pettite is one of the top three pitchers in baseball over the past five years after the all-star break. Last year was no fluke folks. Pettite has established himself as a 2nd half pithcher. There will be PLENTY of injuries to the Yankee staff to get the kids some work so I'm fine with that too. I think the Yanks still try to deal Pavano to work one of the kids in to the mix on a more consistent basis, and there's no guaranetee they sign Igawa after this move either.

I love the move beacuse of the length of the contract. In years past the Yankees would have given Pettite a 4 or 5 year deal.

Pettite is one of the top three pitchers in baseball over the past five years after the all-star break. Last year was no fluke folks. Pettite has established himself as a 2nd half pithcher. There will be PLENTY of injuries to the Yankee staff to get the kids some work so I'm fine with that too. I think the Yanks still try to deal Pavano to work one of the kids in to the mix on a more consistent basis, and there's no guaranetee they sign Igawa after this move either.

So are they negotiating in good faith with Igawa?;)

So are they negotiating in good faith with Igawa?;)

I couldn't tell ya. The guy his probably an 8-10 million dollar a yr. pitcher. If the Yanks are offering him 3 or 4 and pretending it's markent value then they aren't. I do think it's odd that we havne't heard a single word about the negotiations.

So the elbow problems are guaranteed not to come back?

Good move by the Yankees, but not without risk.

Agreed.

Pettitte and his elbow was the main reason the Yanks didn't resign him after 2003. (Although if you ask me personally I will always say George never liked Pettitte for whatever reason).

The elbow issues came up in 2004 and he missed significant time. 2005 he had a Cy Young worthy season. 2005 he was bad in the first half but very good in second half. I'd like to say that we will see the Pettitte of 2005 but we just don't know.

I will say this though. I would take Andy Pettitte at 70% over Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown or even Randy Johnson at 100%.

The move makes the Yankees "on paper" then it was at the end of the 2006 season.

I will say this though. I would take Andy Pettitte at 70% over Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown or even Randy Johnson at 100%.

Great move by the Yankees. I'm not really sure about taking Pettitte at 70% over RJ, unless you're talking about the one that we currently have, who's extremely old.

The push for Roger should start now. That rotation would strike fear in anyone.

I actually agree with this, even though I think Roger was a rat for retiring and going to houston, his yankee teammates didnt seem mad about it.

Randy Johnson wont be ready to start the season. Pettite might stay healthy, Moose will probably see a DL stint and he wont be as good as last year, Wang was an injury question at this time last year. Who the hell knows with Pavano.

This staff has way too many question marks. We need another pitcher, Clemens for 1 year while Hughes and co. get ready would be a great deal.

Archived