Yankees and Sox interested in Mike Gonzalez

AFJF

Again, you're entitled to your opinion. I wasn't comparing Melky to other outfielders, I was comparing him to the player you compared him to. Melky is a four tool player at this point lacking only in power. Paulino is a one or two tool player. I'll take the player who brings more to the table. Again, it's all a matter of opinion but the bottom line is that they're both good young players.

You tell 'im.;)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion of Melky Cabrera is that he isn't a 4 tool player. He's almost a 4 tool player. He's a tweener in nearly everything. He's not really fast, but he has above average speed. He's not excellent in the field, but he's a little above average and has the potential to make excellent plays once in a while. But also has the potential to really screw it up. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he's not johnny damon or coco crisp, just not a right field arm. Assists just mean that people are willing to run on him, just cause melky has more assists than vlad doesn't mean he has a stronger or nearly as strong an arm. Jason Bay had 11 assists last year, you probably couldnt find a pirate fan that would say he has a great arm, which is why he's in left field. He doesn't have enough power for a corner outfielder, and may never have enough. And he can hit for average and take a walk. He would be alright on the yankees though, you guys should keep him. Maybe he will be a 3 or 4 tool player someday.

My opinion of Melky Cabrera is that he isn't a 4 tool player. He's almost a 4 tool player. He's a tweener in nearly everything. He's not really fast, but he has above average speed. He's not excellent in the field, but he's a little above average and has the potential to make excellent plays once in a while. But also has the potential to really screw it up. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he's not johnny damon or coco crisp, just not a right field arm. Assists just mean that people are willing to run on him, just cause melky has more assists than vlad doesn't mean he has a stronger or nearly as strong an arm. Jason Bay had 11 assists last year, you probably couldnt find a pirate fan that would say he has a great arm, which is why he's in left field. He doesn't have enough power for a corner outfielder, and may never have enough. And he can hit for average and take a walk. He would be alright on the yankees though, you guys should keep him. Maybe he will be a 3 or 4 tool player someday.

As I said, you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. IMO he's already a 4 tool player. Maybe even 3 if you want to say he hasn't hit for a very high average yet although he was around .290 for a large part of the season if I'm not mistaken. The guy struggled defenively early in both of his call ups but after a few weeks he was well above average. I don't recall saying that he was top shelf or elite in any category. Simply that he possessed the ability to beat a team several different ways and at a very young age there is no reason to expect him not to get better. As I said several times during the season, his plate discipline is better than the majority of veteran hitters you'll see on a daily basis. This is something that hitters usually take years to develop and some never do. Melky is going to be a hell of a ballplayer for somebody for years to come. As far as his assists and how they apply to his throwing arm, I agree. I've always said that some players assists are inflated by the fact that they have a weak arm and teams run on them constantly. Melky on the other hand has what I would consider a very strong arm having seen him play on a regular basis. Again, not elite but well above average. I'd still take a young guy who's above average in 3-4 categories over a guy who hits for average and might play some okay defense. JMO.

Like you said, Cabrera should get better, so should Paulino. He was considered the top defensive catcher in the Pirates system, he slipped a little last year and will improve there. Also, with his frame his power will come eventually. Catchers are at a premium in the big leagues these days, even quality backup catchers are getting huge paydays. Paulino compared to others at his position is just more valuable than melky compared to other corner outfielders.

You're pretty much right about him except for his arm. He has a great arm. And it IS a RF arm. (don't use outfield assists to judge how good an outfielders arm is. awful OF's like manny rameriz get alot of assists because guys run on them so much.

Archived