The other great thing about today

Jetlag

The Patriots completely sh*t all over themselves.

If you haven't seen a picture of their first two picks I've provided one below.

Ellis "The Hobbit" Hobbs is on the left and Logan "Troll man" Mankins (Manbitch) is the oaf on the right.

extras_troll03.jpg

Sorry I couldn't respond to this thread earlier, I had to take time polishing three Lombardy Trophies for the Pats. :D

Here is the scoop on Mankins.You are aware the O line is very important? This guy is NASTY!

1st pick Logan Mankins

Position: Offensive Guard/Tackle

College: Fresno State

Height: 6-4

Weight: 307

Hometown: Catheys Valley, Calif.

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

While opposing coaches call Mankins the smartest blocker in the Western Athletic Conference, opposing players regard him as one of the most competitive and aggressive blockers in the nation. Hailing from a small lumberjack town, Mankins rivals only Paul Bunyan when it comes to others telling stories of their encounters with this technically sound blocker.

Called the "most technically sound lineman" in the collegiate ranks by The NFL Draft Report, that service compares him favorably with former Green Bay Packers great, Jerry Kramer. Mankins shows good form and technique setting his base. He has enough quickness and kick slide to mirror and is especially effective at sealing the corner since moving to the left side.

Mankins was an all-area and team MVP at Mariposa (Calif.) High School. He joined the Fresno State program 2000 and was granted a redshirt. He moved into the starting lineup at right tackle in 2001, earning All-Mountain West Conference honors as he only allowed two sacks while protecting QB David Carr, who broke several FSU passing records that year.

He again started every game in 2002, despite playing in his final three contests with an ankle sprain. A torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during 2003 fall drills would sideline him for the season. He returned to action in 2004 and emerged as one of the best left tackles in college football. Mankins did not allow a sack, tackle or pressure in three games, graded over 90 percent for blocking consistency, set a school single-season record with 82 knockdown blocks and did not allow any opponent to get to the quarterback.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a wide frame with a barrel chest, good bubble, wide hips, thick thighs and calves

The Patriots completely sh*t all over themselves.

Well I would have agreed with you because that was my initial thought but everything I'm hearing from the draft analysts is we got two very good versatile offensive linemen that could both wind up long term starters for us. Hobbs on the other hand will be nothing more than a backup corner/special teamer.

In the years that Belichick has been here, he has NEVER drafted a LB on the first day of the draft. On top of that, the report is that Bruschi has been cleared to begin workouts and I believe it was Deion Branch said that Bruschi will definately be back. I still look for Belichick to pick up a FA before it's all said and done. Probably Jay Foreman or Chad Brown.

How do you Pats fans feel about the CB and LB positions on your team? Do you feel they have been or will be addressed properly now?

I actually went into the draft thinking we didn't have to draft any CBs. I thought we could roll into the season with what we had. We basically have the same group from last year with Duane Starks added to the mix. I really wanted to see us take an ILB in the first but I should have known that wasn't going to happen.

Fair enough. Judging by the last few drafts for BB and Co. i have no reason to doubt that they landed decent picks. But i think they now have weaknesses that should be exposed and the Jets have definately made strides in catching up with them. Do you Pats fans fear that the Jets now have enough weaponry to give you a run for the Div. title? I honestly do.

How do you Pats fans feel about the CB and LB positions on your team? Do you feel they have been or will be addressed properly now?

Yes.

We held Manning to three points last year with Troy Brown, Randall Gay, Asante Samuel, and bailing wire.

This year we'll have Gay and Samuel both a year more experienced, Pool back, Starks, and Hobbs is probably an upgrade over Troy Brown.

Belichick could put me and Ham out there and we'd have a couple of picks, make some stops, and not look too bad.

Versatility. Not sure about Hobbs, but, the two O linemen drafted can play more than one position on the line. BB loves that aspect of a football player.

Vrable, Seymore, Klecko, Wilson, McGinnest, and the other tweeners on D are good examples of that particular trait BB values.

I don't know if things will change much on offense without Weis being the OC, seeing the O in these past few years evolve into an Offensive version of the D. Scheming the opponent, playing mostly a running game or relying heavy on the passing game depending on the opponents weaknesses. I have no problem being a Homer and saying I trust BB and company to make the right choices. :D Who can argue with results like BB has achieved?

Versatility. Not sure about Hobbs, but, the two O linemen drafted can play more than one position on the line. BB loves that aspect of a football player.

Vrable, Seymore, Klecko, Wilson, McGinnest, and the other tweeners on D are good examples of that particular trait BB values.

I don't know if things will change much on offense without Weis being the OC, seeing the O in these past few years evolve into an Offensive version of the D. Scheming the opponent, playing mostly a running game or relying heavy on the passing game depending on the opponents weaknesses. I have no problem being a Homer and saying I trust BB and company to make the right choices. :D Who can argue with results like BB has achieved?

Interesting, Pat fans can crow all week about the value of teh draft and how you have to get true value, but then they go ahead and justfy the Manwich pick. :shock:

Interesting, Pat fans can crow all week about the value of teh draft and how you have to get true value, but then they go ahead and justfy the Manwich pick. :shock:

Every year BB has drafted, someone has claimed that his draft pick(s) were reaches. Whatever. BB is notorious for drafting whom he likes and to hell with what the experts say. Keep on keeping on BB! :D

Losing oft injured Klemm and Andruzzi demanded that depth on the O line be addressed. This has happened with yesterdays picks. Weeks ago I made a statement saying the Pats could play a season with who they had on the roster right now - and compete. I still think that to be true. I'm cheerfully awaiting opening day! By the time the Pats play any AFC East opponent they'll be ready to rumble! :)

Every year BB has drafted, someone has claimed that his draft pick(s) were reaches. Whatever. BB is notorious for drafting whom he likes and to hell with what the experts say. Keep on keeping on BB! :D

Losing oft injured Klemm and Andruzzi demanded that depth on the O line be addressed. This has happened with yesterdays picks. Weeks ago I made a statement saying the Pats could play a season with who they had on the roster right now - and compete. I still think that to be true. I'm cheerfully awaiting opening day! By the time the Pats play any AFC East opponent they'll be ready to rumble! :)

Rome fell the same way.

Still better than the antiquated spin job your head coach is known for! :lol:

Only the truth! Only the truth spoken here! :D

spinning_wheel.jpg

We're not talking about our coach. We're talking about BB taking it up the butt from TB on draft day.

Too Funny.

The Pats picks were decent and could very well contribute.

The hypocritical part of this thread is that if Bradway had reached for the OL and grabbed a corner that Pats fans had to go look up to know anything about, the RSeymours and TX's would post for days on the subject just as they did on the Oakland trade.

How'd that one work out fellows. :wink:

We're not talking about our coach. We're talking about BB taking it up the butt from TB on draft day.

How so? The Pats have plenty of DB's. Hobbs, Samuel, Poole, Starks, Wison is a converted CB. Reid, Scot, and Harrison for safety. These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. TB didn't shaft BB. Not with Miller's attude. Certainly not a BB type player. 8)

How so? The Pats have plenty of DB's. Hobbs, Samuel, Poole, Starks, Wison is a converted CB. Reid, Scot, and Harrison for safety. These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. TB didn't shaft BB. Not with Miller's attude. Certainly not a BB type player. 8)

When you draft the Hobbit on day 1 to play at CB there's a bit of problem. Unless ofcourse he's got that invisibility ring.

THAT'S IT!! I figured it out. BB intends on running 12 men on the field next year, 11 as usual and then the 12th will be invisible. Oh man maybe that pick was genius.

Hobbs is known for his hard hitting and tackling.

Poole and Samuel have the same build and mentality. The ability to be a ball hawk is more important than size. Turnovers! That's what it's all about! Being able to support the run stuffing of the D line is neccessary, to set up the pass happy O that will certainly toss INT's. :D ...in a perfect world anyway.

Archived