Daisuke Matsuzaka videos

Sharrow

instead of signing mirabelli why didnt they sign a japanese catcher to catch him

Not a bad idea. I am guessing that Mirabelli is used to catching Wake all these years that catching for Daiske will be a little easier.

He has a different delivery (i.e. raisng his pivot foot) and then a very deliberate and controlled motion.

I do not think the gyroball was thrown in any of those shots.

That said, his breaking stuff looks very top shelf. Can he establish his fastball with enough consistency to make his breaking stuff effective?

The 103 - 111 million dollar question.;)

That said, his breaking stuff looks very top shelf. Can he establish his fastball with enough consistency to make his breaking stuff effective?

My understanding is that he has said he does not throw a gyro ball. Some sources in the US have said he does but that was supposedly part of the hype. We'll see which reports are correct.

If my math is correct, the top speed I saw was a 150KM. Which is about 93ish. Not exactly top of the shelf speed.

If my math is correct, the top speed I saw was a 150KM. Which is about 93ish. Not exactly top of the shelf speed.

The term "top shelf" was used in context with his breaking stuff. No comment was made regarding his fastball.

BTW - unless I have it wrong, 151, which was the top speed I saw, is equal to 94 MPH. I have read that he sits at 92-94, with a high of 95. So this group of videos seems correct.

The term "top shelf" was used in context with his breaking stuff. No comment was made regarding his fastball.

BTW - unless I have it wrong, 151, which was the top speed I saw, is equal to 94 MPH. I have read that he sits at 92-94, with a high of 95. So this group of videos seems correct.

Which is more than enough speed when your off speed pitches are that good....see Johan Santana.

Archived