Belichick: "Screw it, I'm mailing it in this year"

RichardSeymour

No this isn't a criticism thread.

But I half wonder if Belichick and Pioli decided "**** it, lets just take whoever The Huddle Report likes..."

Either that or Pioli hired Drew Boylhart as our secret director of pro scouting.

From The Huddle Report....

Logan Mankins

Strengths

Logan plays LT for his college team and does an excellent job. He is very strong in his upper and lower body. He has quick feet and excellent lateral movement. He has long arms for his size and is stout against the bull rush. He will not be a developmental O-lineman for the team that drafts him. Logan will be on the field as a starter, quicker than it takes to add water and make instant oatmeal for breakfast.

Needs to Improve

It would be nice if he was taller, but because of his talent and athleticism, I

Mankins is a good OL prospect but he was a slight reach. He got drafted because he came highly reccomended by Pat Hill. Fresno State's HC.

You wanna know what the real problem with The Pats draft might be, besides the fact that Pioli might be on his walk year. (Giants when Accorsi retires)

The hidden factor in the draft is the coaching staff. In years past, Belichick could lean on Weiss to give scouting endorsements on offensive players and for Romeo to chip in with his thoughts on defensive players.

People don't realize how a draft is really a team game. GM's and Head Coaches get all the credit but it's really a combination of The entire scouting staff and coaching staff's opinions on players.

Every position coach has alot of input over who they want to draft. Like I'm sure that at special teams meetings in New England. Brad Seely gets the call and has his voice heard. If Seely says " I like Jerome Mathis as a returner". He gets a high grade.

Then The Pats board is set up with Seely suggestions. This happens at every position with every team.

Romeo and Charlie are not just losses on the sideline. They know how to scout and find players that fit what they see as ideal in their schemes.

They are not just good gameday coaches. They are terrific talent evaluaters. Watch the job, Weiss does at Notre Dame in 3 years. When he gets his first 3 recruitment classes. His players.

Belichick in the past has leaned on his assistants and former co workers like Saban when he was at LSU, Like Hill etc

That's why I don't have a problem with Doug Jolley because I know that Dinger has alot of say over who he wants in his offense and what types of players he covets.

Dinger completely molded Rod Smith and Drew Bennett among others. Two undrafted players. I trust him. The track record speaks for itself.

Lets be honest, if any other team but NE had this same draft the media would be crucifying them

As I said when folks wanted to make Pioli the Jets GM, the guy is so over-rated its ridiculous ... BB has been saving his @$$ for years, by absolutely maximizing the abilities of every ordinary player Pioli happnes to hand him

I can't even imagine what BB would do if he actually had an exceptional GM with a great eye for talent ... I shutter to think about it ... the Patriots might never lose a game

No this isn't a criticism thread.

But I half wonder if Belichick and Pioli decided "F#ck it, lets just take whoever The Huddle Report likes..."

Either that or Pioli hired Drew Boylhart as our secret director of pro scouting.

I wouldn't be surprised ... you can do that when BB is your coach ... heck, you can almost pick names out of a hat and still win

Scott Pioli is the luckiest man on the face of the earth ... he has a coach who actually makes him look like an upper echelon GM, and that makes him the luckiest man in America

If this dude was picking players for Herman Edwards we would never win a game

Wow! Youse guys are really tearing it up here! :D

BB or Scot P. often state that they are in agreement on picks. There is a consensus. An agreement. The proof is in the results! :D

Maybe Pioli would stink elsewhere. He and BB have an excellant working relationship that goes back many years and the Pats organization is reaping the benefits of that, and BB's management abilities.

Along with time management! :)

Wow! Youse guys are really tearing it up here! :D

BB or Scot P. often state that they are in agreement on picks. There is a consensus. An agreement. The proof is in the results! :D

Maybe Pioli would stink elsewhere. He and BB have an excellant working relationship that goes back many years and the Pats organization is reaping the benefits of that, and BB's management abilities.

Along with time management! :)

I don't doubt that for a second ... BB probably signs off on every move Pioli makes

I can almost see BB saying ... look pal, just get me 53 warm bodies and I'll do the rest 8)

You end up giving Pioli, BB and their entire scouting department a pass because their track record is so good. You give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Pats and The Jets have the two biggest scouting departments in The NFL in terms of members. Both organizations have alot of money pumped into that area and alot of scouts.

Because Pioli, BB and that entire department have had so much success. You tend to look at their picks differently.

You never know Logan Mankins and Nick Kaczur could turn out to be Matt Light and Joe Andruzzi. Ellis Hobbs could end up being Tyrone Poole. Who knows?

Their day 2 picks have to be on the defensive side of the ball. I think it's a good sign for Bruschi fans that they didn't take a MLB on the first day.

Jets fans are amazingly consistent.

YJF - Why is Mankins a reach? Because you said so? Your post is a reach. :roll: Did Dinger walk on water also? :roll::roll: While I think you have solid takes most of the time, your points here are weak. Here is my proof....34-4...back-to-back titles and three of four. That does not happen by accident. One title is a fluke. Two titles and ultimately three are by design. That is a concept Jets' fans need to wrap their fingers around.

afso - If he is a fraud as you suggest, wouldn't he grab the easy cash that the Hawks threw at him? At 3 million per year and only having three Superbowl titles and two Executive of the years on his resume, he could easily bank 9 million before he is discovered to be a fraud. :roll:

GJH - Your point has many many flaws. First, as 2000 and 2002 prooved, even Belichick cannot just line-up 53 players and win. He needs talent. I guess the 34-4 run over the last two years is just an illusion created by the puppet master Belichick. Last, Pioli is laregly responsible for the talent on the field that has gone 34-4 over the last two years and 57-14 over the last four. Belichick does have final say, but Pioli does the leg work before Belichick even enters the equation. So the Deoin Branch's, Mike Vrabel's, David Given's, Rodney Harrison's, Dan Koppen's, Jarvis Green's, Eugene Wilson's of the world are the result of Pioli's keen eye for talent. I am not minimizing Belichick and his staff's coaching, but winning three titles in four years is not soley accomplished on the wizadry of Belichick. The Patriots have talent. Whether jets' fans recognize it or not means nothing.

The bottomline is, given the Patriots past track record of uncovering key players that were labeled like reaches, like the past Superbowl MVP that tied the record for receptions in the Superbowl one year after having 10 prooves, somehow I think Mankins, Kaczur and Hobbs are going to workout.

Jets fans are amazingly consistent.

YJF - Why is Mankins a reach? Because you said so? Your post is a reach. :roll: Did Dinger walk on water also? :roll::roll: While I think you have solid takes most of the time, your points here are weak. Here is my proof....34-4...back-to-back titles and three of four. That does not happen by accident. One title is a fluke. Two titles and ultimately three are by design. That is a concept Jets' fans need to wrap their fingers around.

That's why I gave The Pats entire staff a pass. Because of their track record. They have earned it. So even though, I am not a big fan of the players they picked.

I have to see everything they do with rose colored glasses because they have been so successful.

Pats reached for Mankins. But it's not so much the reach. It's the fact that the players at the end of round one were 2nd round talents. Teams took second round players at the end of round one. Not the teams fault, That's the way the board was.

I feel that David Baas, Marcus Johnson, Evan Mathis and Adam Terry were alll better players than Mankins.

Logan might turn out to be the best of all the O-Lineman. You never know. Proof will be in the pudding the next few years.

Knowing The Pats track record, They probably picked good players. But just because they are the all mighty Pats, It doesn't mean that I am going to kiss their fanny every chance I get.

I gotta be real. If Arizona made those picks. I would have ripped them.

YJF - If Kiper says the guy is not a reach, they guy is not a reach. :wink:

Here is the thing, the Patriots are not Arizona.

Given the Patriots current roster depth, I doubt if a CB, S or LBer would see much time this year as oppossed to an OL.

CB Starters/Depth: Starks, Poole, Samuel or Gay

Plus, the return of the luckiest player on Earth: Hank Poteat, Ike Charlton and now Hobbs.

Safety: Wilson and Harrison are starters. Reid and Scott, last year's picks, are the depth. Plus, LBer Dom Davis saw time here last year.

LBers: Colvin, Vrabel and McGinest are in the rotation on the outside with Ted Johnson taking one inside spot. Newly signed Beisel has experience in the 3-4 and 4-3 and could push for Bruschi's spot. Klecko, Chathanm and Banata-Cain are done their red shirt years and will have every opportunity to play or be cut.

Two of the Patriots linemen are signed through next year when they might want an Andruzzi type salary (3 million) per year). I think Mankins and Kaczur will get a shot to win Andruzzi's starting position and Kaczur might get a chance to unseat Gorin/Ashworth at RT.

Given the complexity of Belichick's defense, I doubt Ruud or any other potential rookie LBer can just walk in and start for Belichick. Given that 3/4ths of last years starters (Bruschi, Vrabel and McGinest) were DEs in college, I think Belichick believes LBers are made more so then born that way.

The fact remains, they got terrible value on their players in this draft. They totally sh*t themselves this year. Facts are facts jack. Have fun with your midget dime back who you reeeeaaccheed for in the 3rd.

:roll:

He was projected to go in the third on most draft boards. How is that a reach? :shock:

Mankins was projected in the second and Kaczur in the third. Again, how exactly did they reach? :shock:

YJF is right.

Hell if 'Zona makes these picks I'm ripping them right now, no doubt.

The Patriots have SHOWN that they have an eye for grabbing the right guys for their system more often then not--- Deion Branch was a huge reach, projected by many as a 5th rounder. Ty Warren was a reach. Watson and Bethel Johnson too though they haven't fully panned out yet.

So when the Patriots throw a curveball, the wise man says "I didn't expect it, I don't like it, but it's probably a good pick."

Again, I think we just drafted a Matt Light clone (maybe better) and a watered down version later on, and a fine nickelback/ST gunner, if things break right for these guys. I'm fine with that.

I don't let anything you guys say about our drafts get to me. You know why? Because I've been on these boards listening to the same garbage for the past 3 years AT LEAST!! Guess what else? You've all been wrong every single time.

That being said, no I don't neccesarily like this draft so far. I don't care if people think players were slight reaches. Anyone who even halfway pays attention to the Patriots should know that they value different players than just about every other team in the league and probably had these players rated almost exactly where they took them. The only reason I'm disappointed is I was at least expecting to recognize the name selected in the first round.

I don't let anything you guys say about our drafts get to me. You know why? Because I've been on these boards listening to the same garbage for the past 3 years AT LEAST!! Guess what else? You've all been wrong every single time.

That being said, no I don't neccesarily like this draft so far. I don't care if people think players were slight reaches. Anyone who even halfway pays attention to the Patriots should know that they value different players than just about every other team in the league and probably had these players rated almost exactly where they took them. The only reason I'm disappointed is I was at least expecting to recognize the name selected in the first round.

Alk you know all Jets' picks are great values and all Patriots' picks are reaches. :roll:

Mankins is a good OL prospect but he was a slight reach. He got drafted because he came highly reccomended by Pat Hill. Fresno State's HC.

You wanna know what the real problem with The Pats draft might be, besides the fact that Pioli might be on his walk year. (Giants when Accorsi retires)

The hidden factor in the draft is the coaching staff. In years past, Belichick could lean on Weiss to give scouting endorsements on offensive players and for Romeo to chip in with his thoughts on defensive players.

People don't realize how a draft is really a team game. GM's and Head Coaches get all the credit but it's really a combination of The entire scouting staff and coaching staff's opinions on players.

Every position coach has alot of input over who they want to draft. Like I'm sure that at special teams meetings in New England. Brad Seely gets the call and has his voice heard. If Seely says " I like Jerome Mathis as a returner". He gets a high grade.

Then The Pats board is set up with Seely suggestions. This happens at every position with every team.

Romeo and Charlie are not just losses on the sideline. They know how to scout and find players that fit what they see as ideal in their schemes.

They are not just good gameday coaches. They are terrific talent evaluaters. Watch the job, Weiss does at Notre Dame in 3 years. When he gets his first 3 recruitment classes. His players.

Belichick in the past has leaned on his assistants and former co workers like Saban when he was at LSU, Like Hill etc

That's why I don't have a problem with Doug Jolley because I know that Dinger has alot of say over who he wants in his offense and what types of players he covets.

Dinger completely molded Rod Smith and Drew Bennett among others. Two undrafted players. I trust him. The track record speaks for itself.

Excellent post YJF.

Tough to argue with your observations.

Tell will tell.

Q: How could a fan whose team has won the super bowl 3 out of the last 4 years be jealous?

A: The fan is husker

...tool

Jealous of what? :shock:

The kicker you drafted with your first pick? It is funny, Denver got a first, 3rd and 4th to let Washington into the 25th pick and the Jets got Jolley and a Kicker out of it, plus two non-descript training camp cuts.

On the othe hand the Patriots basically got two third round picks and a throw away 6th, for the last pick in the second round.

Yeah, the Patriot Nation is so jealous of your FO. :roll:

Q: How could a fan whose team has one the super bowl 3 out of the last 4 years be jealous?

A: The fan is husker

...tool

:lol: What up there in your empty skull would lead you to believe that I'm jealous? Do you think I wish the Patriots who have the best kicker in the league had drafted another kicker with their second round pick? I'm going to take a wait and see approach before I declare you legally retarded.

The Pats have built their offensive line through low round picks and undrafted free agents- to me that is the biggest surprise in their going offensive line with two of their three picks so far

Jealous of what? :shock:

The kicker you drafted with your first pick? It is funny, Denver got a first, 3rd and 4th to let Washington into the 25th pick and the Jets got Jolley and a Kicker out of it, plus two non-descript training camp cuts.

On the othe hand the Patriots basically got two third round picks and a throw away 6th, for the last pick in the second round.

Yeah, the Patriot Nation is so jealous of your FO. :roll:

our 2nd 2nd rd pick, Justin Miller, is better than your 1st rd pick (logan manbitch)

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: What up there in your empty skull would lead you to believe that I'm jealous? Do you think I wish the Patriots who have the best kicker in the league had drafted another kicker with their second round pick? I'm going to take a wait and see approach before I declare you legally retarded.

Hey Husk I have trademark rights on the term Ellis "Hobbit" Hobbs. I'll take $10 for every post you use it on. :wink:

our 2nd 2nd rd pick, Justin Miller, is better than your 1st rd pick (logan manbitch)

:lol::lol::lol:

Then why was he drafted late in the second behind 5 other CBs? Oh that right, the rest of the NFL is stupid. :roll:

Then why was he drafted late in the second behind 5 other CBs? Oh that right, the rest of the NFL is stupid. :roll:

you're such a moron. he slipped because of his personal issues not his skills

keep spinning

but you're own 2 buds, tx and seymour wanted justin miller badly!

you're such a moron. he slipped because of his personal issues not his skills

keep spinning

but you're own 2 buds, tx and seymour wanted justin miller badly!

Is 'personal issues' code for bad attitude and inconsistent play? Whi is spinning now?

Archived