Jets 5th Rounder: Andre Maddox - S - NC State

The Gun Of Bavaria

I'm so excited about this pick as i told you guys the other day his dad works with me and I've known him for a few years

my luck is great, Tan gets traded after taht was my in with the team and now Andre gets picked up the same year, HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH

I'm gonna stop by and see my boy tomorrow and give you guys a little report

He sounds like a pretty traditional Strong Safety prospect...

Andre Maddox

Position: Strong Safety

College: North Carolina State

Height: 6-1

Weight: 205

Hometown: Miami, Fla.

OVERVIEW

The mainstay of the Wolfpack secondary, Maddox battled hamstring problems throughout his senior year but still was a strong candidate for Thorpe and Lott Award honors. Even though he missed one game and parts of several others, his value to the team was evident when he was honored with team co-MVP honors in 2004.

A two-time All-Dade County selection at Miami's Killian High School, Maddox also earned second-team all-state accolades as a senior. He made 120 tackles and five interceptions his final season and was credited with 121 tackles and three interceptions during his junior year. His high school teammates, Pat Thomas, Stephen Tulloch and Miguel Scott, were all members of a defensive unit called "Killian Killer Kats" and all joined Maddox as members of the North Carolina State defense upon graduation.

Maddox saw limited action in every game as a freshman with the Wolfpack, totaling 13 tackles (seven solos). He took over strong safety duties the following season, finishing second on the squad with 126 tackles (94 solos), including four sacks and five stops for loss in 2002. He was an All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team selection as a junior, as he ranked fifth in the ACC and 22nd in the nation with an average of 11.2 tackles per game. He led the Pack with a career-high 145 tackles (113 solos) in 2003, adding two sacks, 10 stops behind the line of scrimmage and six pass breakups.

After starting every game the previous two years, Maddox had that string snapped in the 2004 season opener as a hamstring injury would force him to miss the Richmond contest. He would injure his other hamstring vs. Wake Forest but still managed to start nine of 10 games. Maddox finished his senior season with 57 tackles (35 solos), two sacks and four pass deflections.

In 47 games for the Wolfpack, Maddox collected 341 tackles (249 solos) while participating in 2,430 plays. He had eight sacks for minus-62 yards and 18 stops for losses of 69 yards. He also deflected 17 passes, caused a fumble and recovered another. His 341 tackles rank ninth on the school's all-time list.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has adequate muscle definition and body mass

Only thing I know about the kid is from the profile on NFL.com, which I posted in the draft day thread.

INJURY REPORT

2002: Suffered a broken nose in a collision with tailback T.A. McLendon during fall camp.

2003: Missed most of spring drills with a shoulder sprain.

2004: Sat out the season opener vs. Richmond due to a hamstring strain

Archived