Pete Prisco's Draft Grades

PatsFanTX

Why does Prisco give the Jets draft the worst grade in the entire NFL?

I thought Jet fans said this was a good draft.

New York Jets

Best pick: Getting corner Justin Miller late in the second round is a good move. He can help in the return game, too.

Questionable move: Using a second-round pick on a kicker is always a risky proposition. Mike Nugent is a quality kicker, and the Jets need one, but it's still a risk.

Steal: They traded for Doug Jolley, which will allow sixth-round pick Joel Dreessen time to develop at tight end.

Overall grade: D. Didn't like the trade for Jolley and didn't like using a second-round pick on a kicker. Not a good draft at all.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8416386

And Penis Prickso was annointed as the personnel maven by who? How deep did you have have dig to find this drivel? Most reviews on the Jets trade/draft are favorable and I'm sure most people here don't give a crap about that little dipsh*ts opinion..

It really is too bad that the Jets had to draft Nugent at 47, rather than allow the Vikings to select him two picks later. Then maybe they'd have gotten a D from this farging moron instead. :roll:

Not only Prisco, but Dan Pompei also gives the Jets THE LOWEST GRADE in the entire NFL.

How the hell do Jet fans think this was anything close to being a good draft? #-o

New York Jets: D

They gave the Raiders too much for tight end Doug Jolley. Their best choice was Mike Nugent, and when a kicker is the highlight pick, it doesn't leave you very excited.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566742?GT1=6335

And Penis Prickso was annointed as the personnel maven by who? How deep did you have have dig to find this drivel? Most reviews on the Jets trade/draft are favorable and I'm sure most people here don't give a crap about that little dipsh*ts opinion..

DNA, what reviews have you been reading?

The ones done by Jet fans on message boards. #-o

All the national sportswriters and talk show hosts have the Jets anywhere between a C and D grade at best.

Here is another one from USA today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-24-report-card_x.htm

All the national sportswriters and talk show hosts have the Jets anywhere between a C and D grade at best.

who the hell cares what a bunch of idiot sportswriters say? they don't know anymore about it then any of us do. do you really care what they have to say about the pats draft? if you do, you are an even bigger idiot than i had previously thought. again, WHO CARES?

Tex,

Sportswriters (who are as obviously biased as anyone else) are welcome to their own opinions. Doesn't make them any more valid than some of us, who watch just as much (if not tons more) football than these guys do.

Remember, their education is in writing and journalism, not football or personel management, or personel development.

With that said, I like the first four rounds of picks for us this year. Jolly (1/2 of our 1st round pick, effectively), I believe, will be productive in the Dinger O with Chad's penchant for shorter routes. Nugent will give us a reliable kicker for some time, an especially important spot given our history on O. Miller should be (off-field issues aside) a quality starting CB in the NFL. Pouha is a big mountain of a DT, and while he may indeed have been a reach, he is exactly the kind of player I wanted (even if not the ACTUAL player I wanted). He has a chance to start for us, clearly. And the Safety in Round 4 should have a chnace to get playing time, given what we had there.

I wouldn't give us a A, but I think we had a solid, if non-hype'y, non-flashy draft this year.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion (not some sportswriters) on the Pats picks this year.....

At least Jet fans are consistent as hell. :wink:

why because these sportswriters don't know anymore than anyone else? and yet we are supposed to care what they say? who cares? i liked the draft and thats all that matters to me. it wasn't GREAT. but i didn't mind any pick we made and the trade that i thought was horrible last week looks genious today. at least we didn't reach for a 3rd round guard in the 1st.

Sportswriters always bash the Jets. It's nothing new and doesn't mean jack sh*t.

TX, did you agree with the "experts" last year that blasted us for drafting Erik Coleman over Jason Shivers?

The Jets had a few terrible draft grades last year and it turned out to be their best draft in a long time. The "experts" don't know any more than you or I. After all, I didn't see a single mock draft with Logan Mankins in the first round.

Like most Jets fans, I am extremely critical of the moves the team makes. I am happy with this draft because I think the team has improved. If I didn't think so, I would be ripping Bradway a new a$$hole. If a journalist doesn't agree, no skin off my pickle, they always dump on the Jets anyway.

I wouldn't give us a A, but I think we had a solid, if non-hype'y, non-flashy draft this year.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion (not some sportswriters) on the Pats picks this year.....

Fish, you are by far one of the more sensible posters around. And I agree with you, Jets had a solid, non-sexy draft that should improve the team. But to say the Jets hit a homerun on this draft is just pure silly.

And I'll answer your question on the Pats draft:

First off, the most shocking thing probably to any Pays fans was the change in philosophy from the prior years. BB never took OLinemen early in the draft but filled that need through FA and lower round (ie. Dan Koppen) picks.

So that was quite a shock (to say the least) whne Mankins was selected #32. :shock:

Mankins: Pats must have loved this guy from the get-go. Strong work ethic and has the versatility (G or T) that BB loves. I see him in the starting line-up for the opener against the Raiders.

Hobbs: Not a flashy pick but will help out in the nickle and dime packages and special teams. I'll be honest, I did not like this pick at all.

Kaczur:Didn't know much about this guy but everything I have read say he is "hard-working" and extremely "coachable". Gotta trust BB with this pick.

Claridge: My favorite Pats pick of the draft. This guy should see significant playing time this year and will be Willie McGinst successor.

Cassel: Training camp fodder and he will be very lucky to make the practice squad.

Stokes: Has BB ever gone through a draft without taking a TE? :shock: Again, training camp fodder but I bet he sticks on the practice squad.

Now, in addition to the players chosen, let's not forget the Pats also gained additional picks in the 2006 in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

That is huge and many reviews and analysis of the draft fail to mention the additional picks.

Because of these extra picks, I say the Pats draft was in the B-/C+ range.

Hey Tx, go find one of Prisco's old Mock drafts before the Jets traded the #26 overall pick. He had us taking J Miller 26th overall. So essentially we get J Miller as well as Nugent and jolley and now he says it was a horrible draft. That's why Prisco is an idiot.

Hey Tx, go find one of Prisco's old Mock drafts before the Jets traded the #26 overall pick. He had us taking J Miller 26th overall. So essentially we get J Miller as well as Nugent and jolley and now he says it was a horrible draft. That's why Prisco is an idiot.

And this is the beggest reason I defend our draft this year:

Many many folks (Fans and non-fans alike) though we SHOULD take Miller at #26. And based on talent, that would have been a legit spot for him IMO.

Instead, we make the deal, aquire a new starting TE (his overall quality can be questioned till he plays out 2005 for us, but the fact that he will start for us cannot).

We aquire a new kicker with the POTENTIAL to be a long-time quality ST'er for us.

And we aquire Miller, the man so many wanted us to get anyway, at #57.

Oh, and we also get a RB in round 6. No idea if he'll ever be anything, but at least he has the chance to.

So while certainly not an A-grade talent draft, I think the Jets (given their original spot and target of a CB) made some very solid moves to turn one pick into three new starters, all at positions of need (TE, PK, KR/CB).

Ah, the most common response from a Jet fan when a national sportswriter speaks the unbiased truth about the Jets:

"The guy is an idiot"

Typical Jet fan response. :lol:

all these pundit types gave the jets a poor grade last year as well and that turned into 3 starters (counting mccairens), 2 others who got significant playing time on defense, and a special teamer. pretty good by all accounts i would give it an A-.

there is no way these guys can follow all of the teams closely and know exactly what the team needs or where those players fit. it is too early to tell about this years draft but my guess is miller starts at nickel/kr/pr, jolley starts at te, nugent is the k, and pouha rotates at DT. the others are special team guys, with 1 of the safeties having a chance to see the field.

at least 3 more starters - pretty good draft on paper.

Why does Prisco give the Jets draft the worst grade in the entire NFL?

I thought Jet fans said this was a good draft.

New York Jets

Best pick: Getting corner Justin Miller late in the second round is a good move. He can help in the return game, too.

Questionable move: Using a second-round pick on a kicker is always a risky proposition. Mike Nugent is a quality kicker, and the Jets need one, but it's still a risk.

Steal: They traded for Doug Jolley, which will allow sixth-round pick Joel Dreessen time to develop at tight end.

Overall grade: D. Didn't like the trade for Jolley and didn't like using a second-round pick on a kicker. Not a good draft at all.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8416386

Tx what grade do you give us?

During the draft you and RS pretty much agreed TB did well or just got lucky.

You spend far too much time just looking for items such as a bad review etc and then treat it as gospel.

Shame if that's how you get your rocks off.

Tx what grade do you give us?

During the draft you and RS pretty much agreed TB did well or just got lucky.

Shelter,

I would give the Jets a B-/C+ grade.

You need to factor in the Jolley trade (which took care of a huge need at TE).

Unbelievable getting Justin Miller at 57 (either Bradway knew he was going to fall that far or he took a gamble and won). Either way, Jets got a good CB.

Personally, I still question taking a kicker with a 2nd round pick, but that's beside the point. I hope Jet fans realize that Nugent has to perform as a top 3 kicker over many years to justify this selection.

If he is just some "middle-of-the-road" kicker, the Jets wasted that pick.

The only real head scratcher was the back-to-back picks of the safeties.

Shelter,

I would give the Jets a B-/C+ grade.

You need to factor in the Jolley trade (which took care of a huge need at TE).

Unbelievable getting Justin Miller at 57 (either Bradway knew he was going to fall that far or he took a gamble and won). Either way, Jets got a good CB.

Personally, I still question taking a kicker with a 2nd round pick, but that's beside the point. I hope Jet fans realize that Nugent has to perform as a top 3 kicker over many years to justify this selection.

If he is just some "middle-of-the-road" kicker, the Jets wasted that pick.

Fair enough TX.....That's the TX posts I appreciate...although your sarcasm is good for the occssional laugh.

The safety thing made perfect sense. Bradway knows that he has bad luck in evaluating safeties.........

...Robinson, Pagel, Tongue. He realizes that his percentage will not improve. So to fix the problem he will simply draft a safety in every round.

Fair enough TX.....That's the TX posts I appreciate...although your sarcasm is good for the occssional laugh.

:wink: :wink:

I knew those articles would get Jet fans all riled up. =D>=D>

BTW, what opinions sportwriters/draft prognosticators have means squat, especially right now.

How can any sane person, other than their own opinion, proclaim how ANY team did in the draft before these players have yet to step on the field. :shock:

...we had a solid, if non-hype'y, non-flashy draft this year.

You hit it right on the head why they are getting C and D grades from sportswriters.

Non-flashy = C/D in their eyes, simply because they only KNOW the guys going in the top round and a few others.

Pat Kirwan had some very favorable things to say IIRC.

The safety thing made perfect sense. Bradway knows that he has bad luck in evaluating safeties.........

...Robinson, Pagel, Tongue. He realizes that his percentage will not improve. So to fix the problem he will simply draft a safety in every round.

Take one guy can cover, and take one guy who can hit...hedge your bets :)

Overall i thought the Jets did a very good job filling their holes. No need to worry about Mike Nugent, that guy can kick a 50 yarder into the wind while blindfoled and having one leg tied behind his back. :wink:

Yea, but now that he is with the Jets, that kick would have the leg but it would have been wide left. =D>

Stiller, what's the Steeler fans reaction with their picks?

How many 10-12 yard between-the-hashmark receptions will Miller have?

Yea, but now that he is with the Jets, that kick would have the leg but it would have been wide left. =D>

Stiller, what's the Steeler fans reaction with their picks?

How many 10-12 yard between-the-hashmark receptions will Miller have?

Most Steelers fans i talk to are very pleased with this draft. Not many of us really liked the Heath Miller pick in 1 nor the Essex pick in 3 but to land Fred Gibson (a faster more reliable version of Plax IMO)in 4 and Chris Kemoeatu in 6 along with the OLB help made our day 2 very promising. Me personally, i can justify the Miller pick due to the fact that we got what i consider a true deep threat in Gibson. While our record won't be as good as last year, i believe we improved our team. We'll have to see if Ben goes through the sophomore slump this season to get a good feel for where we are. I wasn't too excited at the end of day one but overall i will give them an A- to B+ grade for this draft. We haven't used the TE position in the passing game much but i suspect thats about to change. :D

Oops, forgot to add that my boy, McFadden should crack the starting lineup and be a significant upgrade over Chad (toast) Scott. :D

What about Ricardo Colclough or whatever his last name is?

Will he start next year or is he a career nickel back?

What about Ricardo Colclough or whatever his last name is?

Will he start next year or is he a career nickel back?

My thinking is that Colclough will replace Willie Williams and McFadden will replace De'shea Townsend. Scott was cut and Ike Taylor and Chidi Iouana (SP?) will compete with Townsend for the nickle and dime spots.

Archived