NFL notes

faba

Updated: April 24, 2005, 10:40 PM ET

Browns gain sixth-round draft pickAssociated Press

Cleveland Browns: Browns quarterback Luke McCown was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday for a sixth-round pick in this year's NFL draft.

McCown started four games as a rookie last season after Jeff Garcia and Kelly Holcomb got hurt. In five games, McCown completed 48 of 98 passes for 608 yards with four touchdowns and seven interceptions.

McCown went 0-4 in his four starts for the Browns, who lost nine of their last 10 games.

The additional pick gives the Browns eight selections in this year's draft.

Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals never found themselves in a position to draft a tight end. It didn't take long to find a rookie to compete for Freddie Jones' old job, though.

Within minutes after the draft ended Sunday, Adam Bergen of Lehigh got over the shock of being ignored by agreeing to terms with the team. Team spokesman Mark Dalton wouldn't comment on an incomplete transaction, but Bergen said he was not in negotiations with any other teams and planned to attend Arizona's post-draft minicamp on Friday.

"I'll sign it when they get us out there," he said.

Cardinals coach Dennis Green told reporters in his draft recap that taking a tight end was never a priority even though Jones, who had 144 catches the last three years, was not re-signed.

"We'll start in free agency," Green said. "That's where we got Eric Edwards last year, who played a lot of football for us and right now is pegged as a starter. That's where Aaron Golliday was two years ago, when he made the practice squad, and so I just think we feel pretty good about it. We're getting excellent reviews from Bobby Blizzard over in the European league."

Any of them would be hard-pressed to match Bergen's credentials as a pass-catching tight end, an essential part of any offense run by two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner.

Bergen, a two-time Division I-AA All-American, had a career-high 70 catches for 840 yards and six touchdowns in 2003. He pulled in 54 balls for 634 yards and eight scores last year, enough to get invited to the East-West Shrine game, spark NFL interest and generate dreams of moving up to the game's highest level.

"I have the speed to stretch the field," he said.

Cardinals moved aggressively in signing Bergen from Lehigh

Archived