Washington's Second Rounder

James Hasty

Now that the regular season is over, the Redskins and the Cardinals are tied for the fifth worst record at 5-11. What pick do we get in the second round as a result? Is there a formula or just a coin flip?

It has to do with their SOS's. Not sure what that is offhand.

Top 5 will be

Raiders

Lions

Brwons

TB

Cards

Ok, that would be the order for round one. Doesn't the second round order differ from round one (especially for teams with the same record) or am I getting confused?

For example if the Cardinals pick fifth in round one, would they pick sixth in round two?

Ok, that would be the order for round one. Doesn't the second round order differ from round one (especially for teams with the same record) or am I getting confused?

For example if the Cardinals pick fifth in round one, would they pick sixth in round two?

No The order would be the same.

Here is a post from Ham on another message board. I think he has it right.

The Pick from Washington is #5 in RD 2 - #37 Overall

RD 1

====

1. Raiders {2-14}

2. Lions {3-13}

3. Browns or Bucs {4-12}

4. Bucs or Browns {4-12}

5. Cardinals {5-11} .. Weaker SOS

6. Redskins {5-11} .. Stronger SOS

RD 2

====

33. Raiders

34. Lions

35. Bucs or Browns

36. Browns or Bucs

37. Redskins {Traded to Jets} .. They flip spots with Zona in RD 2

38. Cardinals .. DITTO

No The order would be the same.

Actually, Hasty is right. It alternates when teams have the same record. The SOS is only for determining who picks earlier in round one. After that, every like-record team moves up 1 slot in the following round & the top team moves to the bottom of that group, and so on until the draft is over.

You only pick the same # in every round if you are the only team with that W/L record with that same how-far-did-you-get outcome in the playoffs.

Take last year's Jets. We had the 4th-worst team by record & SOS. But we didn't pick 4th in every round since there were four other teams with 4-12 records. So our (original) picks were:

1-4 (rd 1 - pick 4)

2-3

3-7

4-6

5-5

6-4

7-3

So if Washington picks #6 in round 1 and at least 1 other team had the same record with an easier SOS, then they pick #5 in round 2.

I will be teaching a class on this in the chat room at 3:30.

Leonard's not going to go in the first day? If you believe that one I've got a bridge for sale...

marginal blocker and very undersized at fullback. leonard may be successful on the right team catching the ball out of the backfield but he doesn't exactly blow up lb's.

bj askew > leonard

marginal blocker and very undersized at fullback. leonard may be successful on the right team catching the ball out of the backfield but he doesn't exactly blow up lb's.

bj askew > leonard

I think the Askew line may be stretching it. He's 235 lbs & has experience (with success) at FB. So if he was 5 lbs heavier then he's not undersized?

Besides, until this year Askew was not > anyone & probably still wanted to be our primary tailback.

But I don't like drafting a fullback in round 2.

According to NFL.com The cards have the easier SOS so they get the 5th pick. Skins pick 6th.

So if the Jets package the last pick in the 1st round and the 6th pick in the 2nd round, how far can they move up?

:P

actually... I think you're right. That's how it was last year. The Lions, I think, picked 10th. They picked 9th in the second, and so on.

bj askew > leonard

Askew is better, but you say: "[L]eonard may be successful on the right team catching the ball out of the backfield." Tell me when Askew has been successful at that? I don't care if we pick him, I'm a BAP guy. Address needs with FA. Still, Leonard is versatile and much better than you give him credit for. He will be a first day pick. Leonard may be slightly undersized, much like Askew who apparently can't block and has shown very little as a receiver. Leonard also runs a 4.5 40 which won't hurt his stock at the combine. Sounds like a nice little h-back in the Sean Ryan role for this team, though there are dozens of other players we could also use. If he's still there on the 2nd day and the Jets don't grab him Tannenbaum should have his head examined.

Askew is better, but you say: "[L]eonard may be successful on the right team catching the ball out of the backfield." Tell me when Askew has been successful at that? I don't care if we pick him, I'm a BAP guy. Address needs with FA. Still, Leonard is versatile and much better than you give him credit for. He will be a first day pick. Leonard may be slightly undersized, much like Askew who apparently can't block and has shown very little as a receiver. Leonard also runs a 4.5 40 which won't hurt his stock at the combine. Sounds like a nice little h-back in the Sean Ryan role for this team, though there are dozens of other players we could also use. If he's still there on the 2nd day and the Jets don't grab him Tannenbaum should have his head examined.
First of all you're underrating Leonard yourself. He's much more then a Sean Ryan clone. He's a 6'2 fullback (NOT undersized) who runs FASTER then 4.5, he can Run (He's run for close to 1000 yards as a FB) Catch Passes (He led the team in Recs 3 years in a row and had a REC in every game as a college football player) and he blocked for Ray Rice as he ran for 1700 yards this season. He'll walk on the field as a top 3 FB in the NFL as a rookie. There is NO CHANCE he gets past the 2nd round. NONE.

One more thing: In 885 Touches as a college football player he has 0 Fumbles and 0 Lost Fumbles.

First of all you're underrating Leonard yourself. He's much more then a Sean Ryan clone. He's a 6'2 fullback (NOT undersized) who runs FASTER then 4.5, he can Run (He's run for close to 1000 yards as a FB) Catch Passes (He led the team in Recs 3 years in a row and had a REC in every game as a college football player) and he blocked for Ray Rice as he ran for 1700 yards this season. He'll walk on the field as a top 3 FB in the NFL as a rookie. There is NO CHANCE he gets past the 2nd round. NONE.

One more thing: In 885 Touches as a college football player he has 0 Fumbles and 0 Lost Fumbles.

Preaching to the choir here my man. I'm sold on Leonard and would take him in round 2 in a second, especially since we have extra picks and seem to be in a position where taking a "luxury" pick wouldnt be a terrible thing.

But does he REALLY run faster than a 4.5 40? Not that it matters because I find 40 times to be worthless (especially since they run it without pads OR a football in their hand), but thats damn fast for a fullback.

But does he REALLY run faster than a 4.5 40? Not that it matters because I find 40 times to be worthless (especially since they run it without pads OR a football in their hand), but thats damn fast for a fullback.

Yeah, the kid is a physical freak in fact he runs a faster 40 then any player on the rutgers team aside from tim brown. I've heard stories of him running 4.3's consistently and his Vert's and side to side times are just as sick. He's gonna blow people away at the combine.

I did not at any time intimate the guy was a "Sean Ryan clone." I said that he would be awesome in that role on the Jets. Being used as a TE/FB/H-back where his versatility would allow many multiple sets from the no-huddle. An example of what I meant would be: "Champ Bailey would be good in the David Barrett role on the Jets." I have heard that Leonard has run some very fast 40 times, but the fastest I've actually seen listed is 4.52. His stock will rise or fall based on the combine times. If he's actually running in the 4.4 or 4.3s at 225-230 I doubt he will last to the 2nd round.

He's not a tailback and he's a 2nd round lock. If not late first.

He's a FB. He won't go in the first round. While I can definitely see him going in the second, he's not a "sexy" pick, and if enough players come out early, he could drop lower.

Archived