Hasty's First Mock of 2007

James Hasty

Here is my first shot at a mock for this year.

Assumption # 1: The Jets win it all (so we have the last pick in each round)

Assumption # 2: We can trade down from pick 32 to get a second, third, and fourth rounder (picks 44, 76, and 108)

Round Pick Player / Pos School Height Weight

2 37 Michael Bush RB Louisville 6'3" 247 lbs

2 44 Matt Spaeth TE Minesota 6'7" 265 lbs

2 64 Manual Ramirez OG Texas Tech 6'4" 335 lbs

3 76 Jasper Brinkley LB South Carolina 6'2" 258 lbs

3 96 Samson Satele OG Hawaii 6'3" 311 lbs

4 108 Desmond Bishop LB California 6'2" 243 lbs

5 160 Derrick Jones DT / DE Grand Valley State 6'5" 284 lbs

Hopefully we can get one of the top CBs in free agency because I focused on our offense for the most part.

What do you guys think?

Assumption # 2: We can trade down from pick 32 to get a second, third, and fourth rounder (picks 44, 76, and 108)

Hopefully we can get one of the top CBs in free agency because I focused on our offense for the most part.

What do you guys think?

If thats the way it played out I'd be just fine with it. I'd rather see a DT/DE type earlier - Carriker instead of Spaeth at #44 if he's still there. Also I'd pick up a top FA OG with Ramirez instead of drafting two. Use the extra day-one pick elsewhere like taking a flyer on a less-polished NT or RT type with size/ability that can maybe start in a year or two.

Good job though. I love trading down.

If thats the way it played out I'd be just fine with it. I'd rather see a DT/DE type earlier - Carriker instead of Spaeth at #44 if he's still there. Also I'd pick up a top FA OG with Ramirez instead of drafting two. Use the extra day-one pick elsewhere like taking a flyer on a less-polished NT or RT type with size/ability that can maybe start in a year or two.

Good job though. I love trading down.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep in mind that this draft does not include the Juniors (they haven't mostly declared yet). I am assuming that Spaeth is the third TE taken. If better TEs declare, we would get a better player. Also, If the top TE in the draft is there at # 32, we don't trade down at all.

As for the guards, Ramirez is huge. Next to a road grader like him, even Clement would look like a pro bowler at RT.

Free agency should help to fill in the blanks:

Our top priority in free agency should be a top flight CB. Either Asante Samuel or Nate Clements would be a big help to our defense.

It might be a long shot to find a pass rusher in free agency but if we have enough cap room, Dwight Freeney or Justin Smith could make us forget about John Abraham.

Little known Terdell Sands is a backup DT for the Raiders (6'7" 335 lbs) that would fit nicely in our 3-4 scheme.

We will have Celement back next year but the following players could give us a boost here:

Eric Steinbech plays guard for the Bengals but could play RT

Leonard Davis or Floyd Womack would also be an upgrade over Clement

While safety isn't our biggest need, any of these players would look great playing alongside Kerry Rhodes (and help our rushing defense):

Ken Hamlin

Deon Grant

Donnie Nickey

Michael Lewis

Like most of your draft with the players that are available so far.

Do you really think the Jets are "that desperate" for a TE?

Baker had his best season, and Sean Ryan did a nice job blocking in a limited role.

Baker is a decent TE - but I think that the Jets and schott in particular will want a big time receiving threat.

Like most of your draft with the players that are available so far.

Do you really think the Jets are "that desperate" for a TE?

Baker had his best season, and Sean Ryan did a nice job blocking in a limited role.

I think we need a TE as much as we need a RB. Baker and our RB by committee can win games but playmakers can help us to score points. If we can get the top TE in the draft at pick # 32 I would take him. Otherwise I would like to get one of the top three somewhere between Wahington's pick and ours.

Pennington gets a lot of heat for our limited offensive production but I believe that adding to the talent pool on our offense will make Pennington look a lot better.

I think we need a TE as much as we need a RB. Baker and our RB by committee can win games but playmakers can help us to score points. If we can get the top TE in the draft at pick # 32 I would take him. Otherwise I would like to get one of the top three somewhere between Wahington's pick and ours.

Pennington gets a lot of heat for our limited offensive production but I believe that adding to the talent pool on our offense will make Pennington look a lot better.

I agree. I think signing Tony Gonzalez should be the Jets number one offseason goal.

If thats the way it played out I'd be just fine with it. I'd rather see a DT/DE type earlier - Carriker instead of Spaeth at #44 if he's still there.

have you ever seen carriker play? i watched him against auburn and was completely unimpressed. it was only 1 game so you obviously can't make a judgement based on it but he was totally underwhelming today.

Here's my 3 round mock:

1st round: DE Adam Carriker - Nebraska

(I think this is the perfect spot for Adam at #26. He's a Mangini player through and through and would solve arguably our biggest weakness)

2nd round: OT Arron Sears - Tennessee

(Anthony Clement has been okay, but Sears could be a very good RT in the NFL. Pairing him with Brick, Mangold, and Moore would give us a very young, potent O-line for years to come)

2nd round: RB Tony Hunt - Penn State

(Does everything good but nothing great. Has good size at 6'2 230 and will lower the boom on defenders and always fights for the extra yardage. Would provide a great compliment to Leon Washington)

3rd round: OLB Dan Bazuin - Central Michigan

(Classic Mangini player who could turn out to be a very good 3-4 OLB. He's a good passrusher with even better run stopping skills. Has almost ideal size for the position at 6'3 270)

What do you guys think?

I'm very high on Ramirez and think he can be a nice RG for us. Like Bush too. Bush and Washington would make a good team in the backfield.

It could also play out this way assuming we have the 21st pick overall in the first round:

1. Justin Blalock

2. Adam Carriker

2. Brian Leonard

3. Manuel Ramirez

Archived