Herm- luck not involved in Chiefs making playoffs

faba

Its funny, Vermeil's team went 10-6 and lost the last tiebreaker to the Steelers, who won the SB. Herm takes over, dumb downs the offense, has a worse record, and slides into the playoffs by the skin of his teeth for the 4th time. He is 0-2 in division games and needed miracles to get in in 2001, and 02. Then he gets insulted when you call him lucky! I hope Manning and co. crush the Chiefs.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its funny, Vermeil's team went 10-6 and lost the last tiebreaker to the Steelers, who won the SB. Herm takes over, dumb downs the offense, has a worse record, and slides into the playoffs by the skin of his teeth for the 4th time. He is 0-2 in division games and needed miracles to get in in 2001, and 02. Then he gets insulted when you call him lucky! I hope Manning and co. crush the Chiefs.

Herm's team couldn't win on the road, all season. The Colts will choke eventually, just not this week.

Man Herm is one lucky guy...how does he do it? I mean you'll never win a Super Bowl with just luck, but he's got this slide into the playoffs as th 6th seed down pat.

Exactly, Herm is the master of inheriting a ready made team and barely backing into the playoffs with a 9-7 or 10-6 record. Sure, if you want to make the playoffs once in a while by the skin of your teeth and you earlier had a hall of fame coach put together a team he's your guy. If you want to win the Super Bowl? Look elsewhere.

Hurd is not the next Tom Brady he is a guy who backed up Jay Feidler, this isn't a guy who was being groomed. Cowher went right back to Rothlisberger after Batch was very solid and Rothlisberger wasn't ready. There isn't a HC out there who would go with Hurd over Green.

By the way Johnson was abused at a very similiar rate in the games Hurd was in. The idea that Hurd some how took pressure off of Johnson just doesn't corrospond to his carries.

you were saying?

more to the point this is typical herm. he only plays huard when green goes down but no matter what huard does when green was hurt over 8 games (11 TDs to 1 INT for God's sake) he can't wait to get him off the field. but now, huard is suddenly good enough to enter the game cold after not playing for weeks with the season on the line in there during the playoffs if green has a crummy performance for 30 minutes??!?!? why the **** didn't you leave him in there in the first place you maroon? herm is a ****ing jackass and how anyone can buy his snake oil stuns me.

===============

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/news/story?id=2718810

Huard could play if Green struggles SaturdayESPN.com news services

Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said Tuesday he won't hesitate to replace starting QB Trent Green with backup Damon Huard if Green struggles in Saturday's playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts.

That seemingly contradicts Edwards' earlier statements about Green, both when he returned from a serious concussion and last month, that Green would be his starter in 2007.

But these are the playoffs, where a loss brings an end to the season. While Edwards reiterated that Green is his starter on Tuesday, he reserved the right to bring in Huard should the situation warrant.

"You have to win the game," Edwards said Tuesday. "There's no tomorrow. And you have to do whatever is best for the football team at that point. I'll do whatever I have to do. When you're in the playoffs, you're desperate."

"I think these players trust that whatever I decide to do, it's always in the best interest of the football team," he added. "It's never personal. The team knows that."

Huard, who had a 5-3 record as the starter during Green's recovery, saw playing time on Sunday and drew cheers from the crowd at Arrowhead Stadium as he led the team on a touchdown drive during its win over the Jaguars. When Green returned to the field on the Chiefs' next drive, he was booed.

"People will think whatever they want to think," Edwards said. "At the end of the day, I make the decisions. I made a decision to start [Green] when he was ready to play. He's our starting quarterback. He's our starting quarterback going into the playoffs, and I anticipate he's going to play good. I don't anticipate anything else."

What's wrong w/ giving him credit? he finds ways to get into postseason. He took over a Jets team that missed 2 straight years and 8 of 9 and he guided us there in his first year and now he takes a Chiefs team that missed 2 straight years and 7 of 8. The man might not be a great coach but he is a good one and there aren't many coaches w/ more PO than Herm since Herm took over in '01.

What's wrong w/ giving him credit? he finds ways to get into postseason. He took over a Jets team that missed 2 straight years and 8 of 9 and he guided us there in his first year and now he takes a Chiefs team that missed 2 straight years and 7 of 8. The man might not be a great coach but he is a good one and there aren't many coaches w/ more PO than Herm since Herm took over in '01.

The man might not be a great coach but he is a good one and there aren't many coaches w/ more PO than Herm since Herm took over in '01.

How many coaches do you know are hired into an ideal situation? Not once, but twice? Most coaches take over a mess (hence the firing of the predecessor to begin with). Not Hermy. He has his spots mapped out in advance. This is a guy who has dinner with the GM of the team he's going to play the next day. Gets his team humiliated, gets his QB killed, goes 4-12, has Dick Vermeil say "Herm should get coach of the year", and he wants us to believe that in the space of 4 days, Vermeil retired and Herm gets his job, when he's still under contract with the Jets. The Chiefs were 10-6 last year, and Herm "improved" them to 9-7 this year, but he lucked his way into the 6th seed, and somehow thats admirable. Like, it was Herm's great coaching skills that put KC over the top.

How anybody could still want to be kind to that fraudulent *sshole is beyond me.

The man might not be a great coach but he is a good one and there aren't many coaches w/ more PO than Herm since Herm took over in '01.

How many coaches do you know are hired into an ideal situation? Not once, but twice? Most coaches take over a mess (hence the firing of the predecessor to begin with). Not Hermy. He has his spots mapped out in advance. This is a guy who has dinner with the GM of the team he's going to play the next day. Gets his team humiliated, gets his QB killed, goes 4-12, has Dick Vermeil say "Herm should get coach of the year", and he wants us to believe that in the space of 4 days, Vermeil retired and Herm gets his job, when he's still under contract with the Jets. The Chiefs were 10-6 last year, and Herm "improved" them to 9-7 this year, but he lucked his way into the 6th seed, and somehow thats admirable. Like, it was Herm's great coaching skills that put KC over the top.

How anybody could still want to be kind to that fraudulent *sshole is beyond me.

Are you serious? He walked into a situation w/ the Jets where 3 coaches quit on them w/in the span of a year, he walked into a situation where the team lost 6 of 9 to choke their way out of playoff contention the year before he got there. We were a laughingstock the way we were losing coaches. If the situation was ideal do you think 3 coaches would have walked out on us?

Parcells was dying for another Championship, if he thought he could win w/ us do you think he would have left?

Belichick was coming off the Cle disaster and one more failure and his HC career would be over, do you think he would have left us if he thought we had a good team?

Al Groh waited 20 years for a HC opportunity, if he thought we were going to be a big time team do you think he would have left after a year?

In KC Herm inherited a team that hasn't won a playoff game since Joe Montana was their QB. They lost possibly the best LT in football, they lost another starting OL, they lost their All-Pro FB, they lost their OC and they lost their QB for most of the year. KC is a team on the decline, they are an aging team that has underachieved for the most part until this year. Yes KC has 1 less reg season win but last year KC beat Cincy in week 17 when Cincy had nothing to play for and the AFC West was tougher this year than last year. He did a tremendous job getting the in the playoffs.

We were 4-12 last year b./c of INJURIES, we were a kicka way from the AFC Title Game 2 years ago and this year healthy again we won 10 games again.

Are you serious? He walked into a situation w/ the Jets where 3 coaches quit on them w/in the span of a year, he walked into a situation where the team lost 6 of 9 to choke their way out of playoff contention the year before he got there. We were a laughingstock the way we were losing coaches. If the situation was ideal do you think 3 coaches would have walked out on us?

Parcells was dying for another Championship, if he thought he could win w/ us do you think he would have left?

Belichick was coming off the Cle disaster and one more failure and his HC career would be over, do you think he would have left us if he thought we had a good team?

Al Groh waited 20 years for a HC opportunity, if he thought we were going to be a big time team do you think he would have left after a year?

In KC Herm inherited a team that hasn't won a playoff game since Joe Montana was their QB. They lost possibly the best LT in football, they lost another starting OL, they lost their All-Pro FB, they lost their OC and they lost their QB for most of the year. KC is a team on the decline, they are an aging team that has underachieved for the most part until this year. Yes KC has 1 less reg season win but last year KC beat Cincy in week 17 when Cincy had nothing to play for and the AFC West was tougher this year than last year. He did a tremendous job getting the in the playoffs.

We were 4-12 last year b./c of INJURIES, we were a kicka way from the AFC Title Game 2 years ago and this year healthy again we won 10 games again.

you were saying?

more to the point this is typical herm. he only plays huard when green goes down but no matter what huard does when green was hurt over 8 games (11 TDs to 1 INT for God's sake) he can't wait to get him off the field. but now, huard is suddenly good enough to enter the game cold after not playing for weeks with the season on the line in there during the playoffs if green has a crummy performance for 30 minutes??!?!? why the **** didn't you leave him in there in the first place you maroon? herm is a ****ing jackass and how anyone can buy his snake oil stuns me.

===============

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/news/story?id=2718810

Huard could play if Green struggles SaturdayESPN.com news services

Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said Tuesday he won't hesitate to replace starting QB Trent Green with backup Damon Huard if Green struggles in Saturday's playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts.

That seemingly contradicts Edwards' earlier statements about Green, both when he returned from a serious concussion and last month, that Green would be his starter in 2007.

But these are the playoffs, where a loss brings an end to the season. While Edwards reiterated that Green is his starter on Tuesday, he reserved the right to bring in Huard should the situation warrant.

"You have to win the game," Edwards said Tuesday. "There's no tomorrow. And you have to do whatever is best for the football team at that point. I'll do whatever I have to do. When you're in the playoffs, you're desperate."

"I think these players trust that whatever I decide to do, it's always in the best interest of the football team," he added. "It's never personal. The team knows that."

Huard, who had a 5-3 record as the starter during Green's recovery, saw playing time on Sunday and drew cheers from the crowd at Arrowhead Stadium as he led the team on a touchdown drive during its win over the Jaguars. When Green returned to the field on the Chiefs' next drive, he was booed.

"People will think whatever they want to think," Edwards said. "At the end of the day, I make the decisions. I made a decision to start [Green] when he was ready to play. He's our starting quarterback. He's our starting quarterback going into the playoffs, and I anticipate he's going to play good. I don't anticipate anything else."

How did Hurd do in his last start? Hint, it wasn't pretty. I'm not going to tell you your argument doesn't have merit, or that Herm isn't a dumb ass, however the Chiefs are a team with a top NFL proven QB near the end of his career. Hurd is a career backup who has shown nothing up until a few games this year before crashing and burning in his last start. To make the argument that Herm is an ass or stupid for wanting to go with Trent Green over Hurd in the playoffs when the window for Green is about 2 years just doesn't cut it for me. When Green steps out Hurd will still be a back up QB.

Right there, that just demonstrates your intellectual dishonesty, thus compromising any integrity you may have had (which couldn't be much considering you would even attempt to defend Herman Edwards).

Why would 3 coaches desperate for success for diferent reasons walk out on a team that they thought had the possibility of SBs?

Uhhh... the complete lack of stability of ownership? The team was up for sale, at the time. Keep trying.

Oh please, Woody was set to take over in weeks and groh left a year after Woody took over and parcells had a chance to coach again. Basically Parcells quit on us after the '99 season then rejected Woody's incredible offer following the '00 season so he had TWO chances to keep coaching this "incredibly talented" team we had.

Oh please, Woody was set to take over in weeks and groh left a year after Woody took over and parcells had a chance to coach again. Basically Parcells quit on us after the '99 season then rejected Woody's incredible offer following the '00 season so he had TWO chances to keep coaching this "incredibly talented" team we had.

No, no, no. You're not going to get away with your BS here. When you say "3 coaches quit in one year" you are talking about Parcells, Bellichek and Groh.

Parcells "quit" (actually he stepped down as HC and became GM) BEFORE Woody was actually the owner (when Woody became owner, yes he did retain Parcells as the GM). In fact, Parcells initially stayed on as GM as a courtesy to the Hess family, to provide some stability while they got their financial affairs in order. Bellichek quit, because he was uncomfortable with that arrangement. He wasn't sure if Woody was going to keep Parcells or not, either way he wasn't happy with it. He didn't want to be under Parcells thumb, and he didn't like the idea of a new GM coming in and replacing him with one of his guys. As for Groh, he was a desperation hire, he already had his sights set on Virginia.

Parcells quit and then suggested to Woody that he hire Bradway. Bradway got the job conditionally, based on accepting the NFL's handpicked minority candidate, Herman Edwards.

Basically Parcells quit on us after the '99 season then rejected Woody's incredible offer following the '00 season so he had TWO chances to keep coaching this "incredibly talented" team we had.

First of all, Parcells was negotiating a divorce settlement based on current and "future" earnings. That's why he "quit".

Second of all, the team was "incredibly talented":

They had one of the best offensive lines in football; they had two young, dynamic bookends at DE; they had a futre HOF RB; they had a quality secondary; they had a plethora of linebackers: Roman Phifer, James Farrior, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones and Bryan Cox. They had a QB of the future in Chad Pennington.

No, no, no. You're not going to get away with your BS here. When you say "3 coaches quit in one year" you are talking about Parcells, Bellichek and Groh.

Parcells "quit" (actually he stepped down as HC and became GM) BEFORE Woody was actually the owner (when Woody became owner, yes he did retain Parcells as the GM). In fact, Parcells initially stayed on as GM as a courtesy to the Hess family, to provide some stability while they got their financial affairs in order. Bellichek quit, because he was uncomfortable with that arrangement. He wasn't sure if Woody was going to keep Parcells or not, either way he wasn't happy with it. He didn't want to be under Parcells thumb, and he didn't like the idea of a new GM coming in and replacing him with one of his guys. As for Groh, he was a desperation hire, he already had his sights set on Virginia.

Parcells quit and then suggested to Woody that he hire Bradway. Bradway got the job conditionally, based on accepting the NFL's handpicked minority candidate, Herman Edwards.

Get a clue then get back to me. you aren't worth my time.

"Bradway got the job conditionally, based on accepting the NFL's handpicked minority candidate":yawn:

First of all, Parcells was negotiating a divorce settlement based on current and "future" earnings. That's why he "quit".

Second of all, the team was "incredibly talented":

They had one of the best offensive lines in football; they had two young, dynamic bookends at DE; they had a futre HOF RB; they had a quality secondary; they had a plethora of linebackers: Roman Phifer, James Farrior, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones and Bryan Cox. They had a QB of the future in Chad Pennington.

So why didn't he return after the '00 season? he had first crack at the job but declined.

Dynamic bookends at DE but one was hurt all the time. a future HOF RB nearing the end of his career, a plethora of old LBs except for farrior who had his first biog year in a contract year, the secondary was ok. W/ all this talent why couldn't they make the playoffs the 2 previous years?

You neglect to mention the cap. the Jets were in awful cap shape and Parcells gave going away gifts to bryan Cox and Mo Lewis to further kill our cap so we had to get rid of Aaron Glenn the next year.

So why didn't he return after the '00 season? he had first crack at the job but declined.

Dynamic bookends at DE but one was hurt all the time. a future HOF RB nearing the end of his career, a plethora of old LBs except for farrior who had his first biog year in a contract year, the secondary was ok. W/ all this talent why couldn't they make the playoffs the 2 previous years?

You neglect to mention the cap. the Jets were in awful cap shape and Parcells gave going away gifts to bryan Cox and Mo Lewis to further kill our cap so we had to get rid of Aaron Glenn the next year.

Typical Hermaphrodite revisionist BS.

Herm apologists like to obfuscate for Herm and make it sound like it wasn

I am coming at you w/ FACTS, you are making things up. I am tired of the herm arguments anyway as the man has proven he can coach despite the misguided notions of misinformed fans.

Welcome, nyjunc..you certainly make things interesting..even though I disagree with you 100%

4.gif

I am coming at you w/ FACTS, you are making things up. I am tired of the herm arguments anyway as the man has proven he can coach despite the misguided notions of misinformed fans.

What facts??? :lol:

All that you have stated is your opinion. You don't think "luck' played any part in Herm making the playoffs. Terrific, I'm proud of you.

If you are "tired" of arguments about Herm, why are starting one? If you think Herm has "proven" he can coach, great thats your opinion. But you are in the minority. Most OBJECTIVE fans can see that Herm was, and is a fraud. Any "misguided notions of misinformed fans" is the result of media propaganda by Herm stooges who have, or have had, an agenda.

You don't like it, tough crap. Don't come here and start crap with me, and then get all huffy and dismissive with me, Bucko.

What facts??? :lol:

All that you have stated is your opinion. You don't think "luck' played any part in Herm making the playoffs. Terrific, I'm proud of you.

If you are "tired" of arguments about Herm, why are starting one? If you think Herm has "proven" he can coach, great thats your opinion. But you are in the minority. Most OBJECTIVE fans can see that Herm was, and is a fraud. Any "misguided notions of misinformed fans" is the result of media propaganda by Herm stooges who have, or have had, an agenda.

You don't like it, tough crap. Don't come here and start crap with me, and then get all huffy and dismissive with me, Bucko.

I didn't start anything, I stated facts about how KC missed the playoffs the previous 2 years and miraculously thye made it this year w/ Herm. You started w/ nonsense and excuses about his success and how he was hired.

I am not huffy, you just aren't worth my time. I need someone who can challenge me and you are not that person at least w/ this argument. I love to argue but when people can't bring good arguments back at me it's pointless. brush up on your facts and then get back to me.

When are you going to comment on the other thread where I posted that only 3 HCs have more PO appearances than herm since 2001? How does a guy who can't coach do that?

A potential contender that MISSED the playoffs 2 straight years. They had some building blocks but much of the team was old and expensive. 3 Coaches would never walk out on a team as talented as you think we were.

There were extenuating circumstances as to why "3 coaches" "walked out". They had their own priorities, the talent level of the team is irrelevant.

I remember Hermy spending oodles of money on quality talent like ''Damien AK-47 Robinson'' and Sam Cowhart...our cap was quickly fixed this year with intelligent people in control..see the difference??

Are you joking? You sound like someone who started following the Jets in 2002 not 1969.

Parcells left to screw Belichick out of taking the NE job; or at least to prevent him from taking the NE job without compensation to the Jets; he didn't quit to get away from the Jets as you put it. The whole league knew this. Amazing a Jets fan doesn't.

BB left b/c he wanted a HC job away from Parcells' shadow (and Steve Guttman), not b/c he wanted to be a HC away from the Jets team he helped build.

Groh left b/c the whole team hated him almost to a man, & the Virginia job carried a lot less pressure. He was ripped in the media and clearly couldn't take it; Groh didn't bribe the NY reporters nearly as well as Herm did.

Yet you make it sound like no one in the world wanted the Jets HC job, and Herm Edwards saved the day & reluctantly took over this terrible situation of a team that was 9-7 b/c of a missed 25-yard FG, and had an offense capable of putting up some 500 yards on the 2000 Ravens defense. The year before that they were deep enough to go 8-8 with a practice-squad WR playing QB for most of the season.

Enter Herm & he takes this offense that, even with the awful turnovers, was able to move the ball on the unstoppable Ravens, and he turns them into a mediocre one that ran the ball on 8-minute drives even with the Jets down by 3 touchdowns.

Herm personifies the "no guts, no glory" philosophy to a tee. When it comes to game planning, he has no guts and will never have any glory.

This is so silly. So Herm's a "winner" because Denver lost to the 49'ers at home AND Cincy lost to Pittsburgh at home (and lost two OLmen in mid-season) AND because he only blew 13 of a late 18-point lead vs Jax using a 3rd-string QB? And if not, THEN he's a "loser"? So he's "successful" based on what other teams did when they were not playing the Chiefs, as he guided a 10-6 team to a 9-7 record & dropped the #1 offense to middle-of-the-pack? That's some major rationalizing.

There were extenuating circumstances as to why "3 coaches" "walked out". They had their own priorities, the talent level of the team is irrelevant.

Not one of those guys who desperately needed success for different reasons would have walked out on talent as good as you think we had.

Again, if the talent was so great why didn't we have success the 2 previous years? We lost 6 of 9 in 2000 and of our 9 wins we had 3 amazing comebacks and needed a hail mary and a KR to win another game. We were closer to a 6 win team than a 9 win team in 2000.

Archived