Poor Chiefs fans

Preston Howley III

There's no such thing as backing in, you either win the games you need to or don't. Miami lost in '02 and we stormed through the door once they stumbled. We lost in '04 but we won 10 games and that was enough for the 5 seed in the AFC.

That is just dopey Herm-speak and/or rhetorial masturbation in an attempt to try and support an unsupportable position.

We lost our last game AT HOME against the RAMS in '04 and needed other teams to lose to ensure we got in. That was luck and backing in.

Herm need not one but two missed FG attempts this past weekend to get in (and a last second missed PAT the week before).

That is good luck. Vermiel had the BAD LUCK to go 10-6 last year and not get in.

That is just dopey Herm-speak and/or rhetorial masturbation in an attempt to try and support an unsupportable position.

We lost our last game AT HOME against the RAMS in '04 and needed other teams to lose to ensure we got in. That was luck and backing in.

Herm need not one but three missed FG attempts this past weekend to get in.

That is good luck. Vermiel had the BAD LUCK to go 10-6 last year and not get in.

how can you take place in a discussion like this and be so emphatic we were at home when in fact we were on the road? get your facts straight then we'll pick this up again.

I'm taking the Chiefs. I hate small time and the Colts, and Hermy is a better coach than Dungy is. Herm can beat Dungy and the Colts no problem. That way we play the....Ravens. Hermy might be able to beat the Chargers too if martyball rears its head again too. Then we can host that AFC Championship game, beat Hermy, then beat whatever sorry team the NFC serves up.

There's no such thing as backing in, you either win the games you need to or don't. Miami lost in '02 and we stormed through the door once they stumbled. We lost in '04 but we won 10 games and that was enough for the 5 seed in the AFC.

so luck has nothing to do with those other teams losing and kc backing in but it has everything to do with the multitude of jets injuries last year. so in your world, good luck does not exist but bad luck is an irresistible force? interesting theory.

The only reason we were 4-12 was b/c of massive injuries. The only 2 years we didn't make the playoffs under Herm are the 2 years Chad was hurt.

destroy their team? Even if he sucks what would he be destroying?

it's funny, all the Herm haters said herm would never get a job after the Jets and not only did he get a job but a team gave us a draft pick for him then they said he'd never be successful and here he is in year 1 in the playoffs making it 4 of 6 years as a HC.

Since 2001:

Dungy 6

Belichick 5

Reid 5

HERM 4

Cowher 4

Sherman 4

holmgren 4

Shanahan 3

Gruden 3

Schottenheimer 2

Fisher 2

Fox 2

Smith 2

Parcells 2

Billick 2

coughlin 2

Only 3 HC's have more PO appearances since 2001. How does Herm do it if he can't coach? 1 time might be a fluke but 2 times? 3 time? 4 times????

Dude relax. Herm Edwards is full of crap. He got really lucky with Pennington and Martin both in their primes and made the playoffs a couple years and now he causes the Chiefs to take a step back and gets rewarded with backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because a bunch of AFC teams lost on the last weekend. He's an average coach at best.

Dude relax. Herm Edwards is full of crap. He got really lucky with Pennington and Martin both in their primes and made the playoffs a couple years and now he causes the Chiefs to take a step back and gets rewarded with backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because a bunch of AFC teams lost on the last weekend.

lots of people have tried to say this many different ways (myself included) but this post summarizes herm perfectly in 3 sentences.

POTW nom.

We couldn't have won out there in week 2? let's not bring 9/11 into this. We have no idea how things would have ended up if the sched remianed the same.

GB didn't need the game in '02? They were playing for HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE AND A BYE.

Congratulations. You are the first Jets fan I have ever heard say that the 2001 Jets would have won against Oakland, had that game been played in September. That Jets team was PATHETICALLY UNPREPARED to begin that season. They didn't start getting into game shape until November because Herm was having BBQ's instead of two a days in July.

GB was not playing for a bye, they were playing for A - that's singular- A home playoff game. They needed Tampa Bay to lose to the Bears, which they did not.

The Packers did play a playoff game at home that year, against the Falcons. They lost.

They don't know the miles of whipping that awaits them. They actually are falling for Herm's line of BS that he "will pull a player if he see's he's struggling". :lol: The only way a starter gets pulled is if he's taken off the field on a stretcher.

I like the last comment on page one, about us having a "broken heart" over Hermpes leaving:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155635

:rl:

I don't remember the exact statistcis in the 04 Pitt playoff game. But Lamont was running them over, and Curtis was averaging about 2.5 I think? Yet Curtis got easily twice the carries. Had LJ kept getting the ball we would have had one more game to play at the minimum.

I wish you the worst, herman.

You guys could be setting yourselves up for a major disappointment. The Colts cannot...I repeat CANNOT stop the run. On top of that, they just haven't been playing good football at all. If the Chiefs get Larry Johnson going and keep the football away from the Colt's offense, they can easily win this game.

Colts are jekell and hyde. They are 8-0 at home. Chiefs are dead meat.

so luck has nothing to do with those other teams losing and kc backing in but it has everything to do with the multitude of jets injuries last year. so in your world, good luck does not exist but bad luck is an irresistible force? interesting theory.

A year I can buy but how does one get so lucky that it happens 4 of 6 times?

Dude relax. Herm Edwards is full of crap. He got really lucky with Pennington and Martin both in their primes and made the playoffs a couple years and now he causes the Chiefs to take a step back and gets rewarded with backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because a bunch of AFC teams lost on the last weekend. He's an average coach at best.

How did he take a step backwards when he took a less talented team against a tougher sched further?

Congratulations. You are the first Jets fan I have ever heard say that the 2001 Jets would have won against Oakland, had that game been played in September. That Jets team was PATHETICALLY UNPREPARED to begin that season. They didn't start getting into game shape until November because Herm was having BBQ's instead of two a days in July.

Where did I say they would have won? I said I don't know what would have happened. Nobody has any idea how the season would have played out if it wasn't interrupted.

GB was not playing for a bye, they were playing for A - that's singular- A home playoff game. They needed Tampa Bay to lose to the Bears, which they did not.

They were playing for HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE. Had GB beaten the Jets they would have been 13-3, TB and Philly were 12-4. last I checked 13-3 is better than 12-4.

I don't remember the exact statistcis in the 04 Pitt playoff game. But Lamont was running them over, and Curtis was averaging about 2.5 I think? Yet Curtis got easily twice the carries. Had LJ kept getting the ball we would have had one more game to play at the minimum.

Curtis averaged 4.1 YPC on 19 carries, lamont averaged 6 YPC on 5 carries.

Curtis averaged 4.1 YPC on 19 carries, lamont averaged 6 YPC on 5 carries.

The numbers don't paint an accurate picture of how well or poorly he did. Curtis was atrocious in that game. But for a couple of draw plays on 2nd/long & 3rd/long (when we ended up punting on the ensuing 4th down), Curtis averaged 3.0ypc that game (which is what we all remember watching all game long). He was just horrible; totally unsuited to playing against the Steelers. And Herm would not take him out.

The numbers don't paint an accurate picture of how well or poorly he did. Curtis was atrocious in that game. But for a couple of draw plays on 2nd/long & 3rd/long (when we ended up punting on the ensuing 4th down), Curtis averaged 3.0ypc that game (which is what we all remember watching all game long). He was just horrible; totally unsuited to playing against the Steelers. And Herm would not take him out.

I agree w/ you, I was posting the #s. I have said over and over I did not like how herm handled Lamont. You gusy seem to think I loved Herm and think he is the greatest coach of all time. I liked Herm, I appreciated having playoff football almost annually but he was far from great I just get a little crazy when folk don't give him any credit for winning and all of the blame for losing.

I agree w/ you, I was posting the #s. I have said over and over I did not like how herm handled Lamont. You gusy seem to think I loved Herm and think he is the greatest coach of all time. I liked Herm, I appreciated having playoff football almost annually but he was far from great I just get a little crazy when folk don't give him any credit for winning and all of the blame for losing.

maybe its not so much as credit that we made playoffs but the perception that along the way he did things that dismantled the team. Robbed Peter to pay Paul.

My problem with Herm is, he took over a "good" team, not great, not crap, but "good". In 5 years, what did he do to make it better? The team got progressively worse on his watch. And, more importantly, he did nothing to improve himself. Same dumb mistakes, same playbook, same schemes, same BS training camp, same BS conditioning program etc. And when he did change, it was always a day late and a dollar short.

In the end, he almost destroyed Chad Pennington's career, while he subversively conspired with another NFL team to weasel out of his current contract and get a better deal for himself, during an active NFL season. Now, I'm glad he did that, but for people to defend him, it's beyond me.

Sorry if things got hot on these few threads, but I admire your persistence and willingness to debate it.

My problem with Herm is, he took over a "good" team, not great, not crap, but "good". In 5 years, what did he do to make it better? The team got progressively worse on his watch. And, more importantly, he did nothing to improve himself. Same dumb mistakes, same playbook, same schemes, same BS training camp, same BS conditioning program etc. And when he did change, it was always a day late and a dollar short.

In the end, he almost destroyed Chad Pennington's career, while he subversively conspired with another NFL team to weasel out of his current contract and get a better deal for himself, during an active NFL season. Now, I'm glad he did that, but for people to defend him, it's beyond me.

Sorry if things got hot on these few threads, but I admire your persistence and willingness to debate it.

I don't take it personal, I love to argue and debates can get heated at times but when I argue and even throw in some digs it's nothing personal and if I stepped over the line I apologize. Let's focus on NE:)

Archived