Scouting reports on Yanks' new young talent

AFJF

Pitchers pitch well at older ages now days.

---In that case, hopefully we make a run at Nolan Ryan...if he was good 10 years ago, just imagine what he's capable of now

His numbers weren't as bad as that ERA and in fact some of his peripherals show that he could improve next year

---Just because you want his numbers to be good does not mean they were. I watched the games. The man was terrible. Sorry for the dose of reality. Did you see what he did against the Mets? He's a joke.

Alot of good pitchers give up alot of homers. Meaningless stat.

---You know something Mike...a lot of bad pitchers give up a lot of homers too. By the way...its "a lot" not "alot"

The surgery could make him better too.

---Of course, I used to watch the bionic man when I was a kid..what was I thinking.

He is overpaid but he's also only signed for one more year.

---So that makes it okay. Piss away money that could be spent instead on a good player like maybe...Roger Clemens.

His post season stats are EXTREMELY small sample sizes and can't be taken to mean anything.

--I can take it to mean whatever I want. To me, it means he choked in the post season but only because that's what actually happened.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Chasman as a GM but he's made bad moves in the past and he did again today.. Twice.

I like him too. And every move he's made this off-season. No overpaying for guys we dont need and dumping over the hill vets for young talent in exchange. Kudos Cashman...keep up the great work.

Did Nolan Ryan have a 1.27 WHIP, 7.5 K9 and 3-1 BB/K last year? His numbers just weren't as bad as the ERA shows. He had less hits then IP, a decent k9, decent WHIP and his BABIP was abnormally high with men on base which would make you think that he had some back luck and could improve. OK then don't use homers as a stat that means anything

So pitchers never get problems fixed in the OR and come out better?

There is no garauntee that Clemens will come here and even if he does you have NO IDEA (nor do i) how he'd pitch in the AL east.

You can't judge players based on 2 games.

Starts in which RJ gave up 5 or more ER in 06--13

Starts with 10 or more Ks--1

yeah, should of held on to that golden ticket

Great job Brian Cashman...I commend you for having the brains to make this move. Kudos.

mike, are you on crack? Getting rid of a 5era+ 43 yr old pitcher coming off back surgery is an addition by subtracting.

Who cares how many innings he logs with a 5 era if he cant pitch in the postseason? Its about winning a world series, not just getting to the playoffs.

This was a good trade merely on the fact that it cleared the payroll that allows us to sign Roger Clemens, who is a lock to re-join the Yankees.

mike, are you on crack? Getting rid of a 5era+ 43 yr old pitcher coming off back surgery is an addition by subtracting.

Who cares how many innings he logs with a 5 era if he cant pitch in the postseason? Its about winning a world series, not just getting to the playoffs.

This was a good trade merely on the fact that it cleared the payroll that allows us to sign Roger Clemens, who is a lock to re-join the Yankees.

You don't know that it's a Lock and Clemens comes back here and if he does you have no idea if he'd pitch any better then RJ here.

Thank you Barton. Another poster who agress with me and Brian Cashman.

You don't know that it's a Lock and Clemens comes back here and if he does you have no idea if he'd pitch any better then RJ here.

Is it a lock? No. Is it likely? Hell yes.

His agents have already said "its safe to say he'll pitch for Boston, New York, or Houston"

--Boston....their payroll has got to be just about topped off. Only so many seats in Fenway so unless they double ticket prices they won't be able to add a contract of Rogers status.

--Houston...The Yankees will far outbid anything Houston offers

Maybe he gets sentimental and goes back to Boston so his career goes full circle but my guess is that he gets a call from Andy Pettite and takes the biggest offer he gets, which will probably be from the Yankees.

Yes, its a lock that he returns. And its also a lock he pitches well below a 5 era. Even if he doesnt return, so what? Randy Johnson was horrible, addition by subtraction, mike.

The NL is garbage, but his era isnt gonna jump from 2.3 to 5.00 just based on switching to the AL. We are talking about Roger Clemens, you know.

Oh and not to mention, Randy was a bad clubhouse guy. Good riddance you big ugly goof. Thanks for nothing.

Yes, its a lock that he returns. And its also a lock he pitches well below a 5 era.

The NL is garbage, but his era isnt gonna jump from 2.3 to 5.00 just based on switching to the AL. We are talking about Roger Clemens, you know.

Oh and not to mention, Randy was a bad clubhouse guy. Good riddance you big ugly goof. Thanks for nothing.

On the money Barton. On the money.

Yes, its a lock that he returns. And its also a lock he pitches well below a 5 era. Even if he doesnt return, so what? Randy Johnson was horrible, addition by subtraction, mike.

I'm gonna remember you saying he's a lock if he's pitching against the yankees in boston... I know alot of people hate johnson as a person but he wasn't as bad as you want to say he is.

You are truly the most unbelievable poster on this board. Now RJ sucked last season becasue of a BEEBOOPABOP stat that represents bad luck? Holy christ almighty. We now have a stat for bad luck. From this day forth..any player who has ever been terrible..we now know that they weren't bad players...they just had bad BEEBOPADOOP which is of course bad luck. And how is one to know who had better or worse luck than the next guy?

Unreal dude. You should not be allowed to post on the baseball forum until you realize that some players are just bad. Bad luck? Unreal. He didn't suck last year. He had bad luck. I'd say. Every time he threw the ball anywhere near the plate it got rocked over the fence. Can't get much worse luck than that can you? Unlucky? Unlucky maybe that the fences weren't backed up 150 feet every time he pitched. Even unlucky that when he took the mound, somebody showed up in the batters box. Man, what a tough run of bad luck.

hahahahaahahaahah that was hilarious

Ok i'll explain it to you like a 2 year old. BABIP is BATTING AVERAGE ON BALLS IN PLAY. The major league avg is somwhere around 270 for everyone. Any radical deviation from that is probably good or bad luck. Randy's BABIP was about 275 with no one on base but his BABIP was about 360 with men on base. It's very hard to explain that...

I can explain it for you.

Randy Johnson really really sucks. Its not bad luck. He throws meatballs right down the plate every inning, his era could have been even higher.

Its bad luck that he was born an ugly mutherf'er, but its not bad luck that he sucked last year. His back is shot, he's 43 facking yrs old.

I can explain it for you.

Randy Johnson really really sucks. Its not bad luck. He throws meatballs right down the plate every inning, his era could have been even nigher.

Its bad luck that he was born an ugly mutherf'er, but its not bad luck that he sucked last year. His back is shot, he's 43 facking yrs old.

Read the article i posted barton.

The Yanks clear $14 million in salary, which means either Hughes, if he's ready in July, or Clemens, if he signs midseason, or both if injuries happen, will be in the rotation by August without costing anything unreasonable. And you figure between this and the Sheff trade, thorw enough arms out there and some of them will contribute. Nobody was giving the Yanks top tier prospects for a 43-year old making $14 million of that team's money(Yanks are again picking up $2 million of Johnson's 2007 salary).

I read the BP stuff,and often they're very good and accurate. But anyone who watched Johnson's starts know he wasn't dominant, which why he was brought here. He might drop a 1/2 run on his ERA switching to the NL, but that may be offset by age.

BP's guys often also say that the way teams now use closers is moronic, hut when the Sawx tried to go without a designated closer it didn't work. Thier analysis of batting (why Cairo and now probably Minkeitwicz are lousy bench players) is better; stats for batting are a more reliable indicator of performance. They seem not to understand that pitching is often more than raw stats. The breakdown of Johnson seems to be a case in point. He ptiched scared and he didnd't eat innings, and if he wasn't going to do the job in Bronx, the Yanks didn't need him in 2007.

The Yanks clear $14 million in salary, which means either Hughes, if he's ready in July, or Clemens, if he signs midseason, or both if injuries happen, will be in the rotation by August without costing anything unreasonable. And you figure between this and the Sheff trade, thorw enough arms out there and some of them will contribute. Nobody was giving the Yanks top tier prospects for a 43-year old making $14 million of that team's money(Yanks are again picking up $2 million of Johnson's 2007 salary).

I read the BP stuff,and often they're very good and accurate. But anyone who watched Johnson's starts know he wasn't dominant, which why he was brought here. He might drop a 1/2 run on his ERA switching to the NL, but that may be offset by age.

BP's guys often also say that the way teams now use closers is moronic, hut when the Sawx tried to go without a designated closer it didn't work. Thier analysis of batting (why Cairo and now probably Minkeitwicz are lousy bench players) is better; stats for batting are a more reliable indicator of performance. They seem not to understand that pitching is often more than raw stats. The breakdown of Johnson seems to be a case in point. He ptiched scared and he didnd't eat innings, and if he wasn't going to do the job in Bronx, the Yanks didn't need him in 2007.

It's hard to quantify what pitching scared is though. If a pitcher gives up a single with the bases loaded is he scared while a pitcher who gets a GIDP isn't? I see enough in that analysis to make me think that at minimum randy still has some value and that the yankees would be better off keeping him then dealing him for a sub par package.

Ross Ohlendorf RHP

Ohlendorf is one of several bright pitching prospects the Diamondbacks took high in the last two drafts. A fourth round pick out of Princeton, where he returned early in the 2005 season to receive his diploma, Ohlendorf jumps straight to Double-A after spending last season in Lo-A South Bend and at 23 years old is primed to get fast tracked.

Last season in AA

10-8 177.2 IP 125 Ks 29 BBs 1.18 WHIP

He might just make Mussina feel dumb.

Every newspaper I read, and I just read many including the Times, Post, Daily News and Bergen Record, all quote scouts calling Ross Ohlendorf an absolute horse and a steal for the NY Yankees

Apparently he throws a hard mid 90's sinker ala Chein-Ming Wang .. that seems to be his forte, the power sinker

It was also noted, and this is why they call him a horse, his velocity actually increases later in the season, when he's piled up innings, unlike most youngsters who tend to experience arm fatigue early in their development

His college coach, former Yankee Scott Bradley, could not stop raving about this kid .. said he's a can't miss

One NL Scout said he makes this trade a "steal" for the Yankees, and that sentiment runs through the columns I read

They like the other players as well .. Steven Jackson is a power pitcher, some project him as a setup man, while Gonzalez is a slick fielder who can probably play multiple positions in the INF right now .. his bat is okay, but his defense is superb, could probably replace Cairo as the utility INF .. one scout compared Gonzalez to Orlando Cabrera

But Ohlendorf was the key .. that's the BIG PROSPECT in this deal

Every newspaper I read, and I just read many including the Times, Post, Daily News and Bergen Record, all quote scouts calling Ross Ohlendorf an absolute horse and a steal for the NY Yankees

Apparently he throws a hard mid 90's sinker ala Chein-Ming Wang .. that seems to be his forte, the power sinker

It was also noted, and this is why they call him a horse, his velocity actually increases later in the season, when he's piled up innings, unlike most youngsters who tend to experience arm fatigue early in their development

His college coach, former Yankee Scott Bradley, could not stop raving about this kid .. said he's a can't miss

One NL Scout said he makes this trade a "steal" for the Yankees, and that sentiment runs through the columns I read

They like the other players as well .. Steven Jackson is a power pitcher, some project him as a setup man, while Gonzalez is a slick fielder who can probably play multiple positions in the INF right now .. his bat is okay, but his defense is superb, could probably replace Cairo as the utility INF .. one scout compared Gonzalez to Orlando Cabrera

Same here Ham...everything I've read says the Yanks made a great deal but in all honesty I knew that before I knew who we got in return. Dumping RJ is addition by subtraction.

Also scored a 1500 on his SATs. It is mind boggling that the Diamondbacks gave up anything of significance for this old crocodile Johnson, let alone a pitcher who has stud potential. Its almost too good to be true.

As to Clemens, why do we have a stiffy for this guy? Didnt RJ tell us that bringing 40 year olds to the AL is a bad idea? Why make the same mistake.

It is mind boggling that the Diamondbacks gave up anything of significance for this old crocodile Johnson, let alone a pitcher who has stud potential. Its almost too good to be true.

That is exactly what I've been saying since the second the trade rumors started. I just kept thinking it would be too good to be true if there was a team out there that was stupid enough to even want Randy Johnson. Let alone give up players in return and take on the vast majority of his contract.

That is exactly what I've been saying since the second the trade rumors started. I just kept thinking it would be too good to be true if there was a team out there that was stupid enough to even want Randy Johnson. Let alone give up players in return and take on the vast majority of his contract.

Exactly see my post in the other Randy Johnson thread- Cashman is exec of the year for these two transactions. The Yanks were not going to win with Sheffield or Johnson this year on the roster.

Exactly see my post in the other Randy Johnson thread- Cashman is exec of the year for these two transactions. The Yanks were not going to win with Sheffield or Johnson this year on the roster.

I'm happy to see that the overwhelming majority of fans can understand what a great move this was.

Thank you Barton. Another poster who agress with me and Brian Cashman.

I'm with you too AirForce.

I spent some time checking up the stats on the new kids. Ross is a very interesting pitcher. Lots of Wang in him, but his sinker is slower. He does have better control the Wang, and Ks almost twice as many per 9. He gives up hits, but no walks. Made AAA the end of last season, after basically 2 full seasons in Pro Ball, out of College, which is a nice accomplishment. Was in the mix for a spot in teh D'Backs rotation this coming ST.

There is a lot to like here.

Gonzalez has a major league glove. He could replace Cairo now, defensively. His bat is suspect, but he has a .283 career avg. in the minors, and hit .290 in AA this past season. No speed, which is a liability when pitting him against Cairo.

Jackson had his mechanics re-tooled this season. the "splits" on him show a marked improvement the latter part of 2006. he is a sleeper, but could be another arm in the pen by ST 2008, or during that season.

Viz. was the D'Backs best relief pitcher in 2006. Not great, but he has a live arm.

Nice haul for a 43 year old coming off back surgery who won 17 games because he had the best run support in Baseball in 2006 (I believe). His K rate is dropping, his innings per year is on a downward slope, and his HR rate is alarmingly high. Oh yeah, his WHIP is heading in the wrong direction too.

I imagine we got what we did since Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig were not available.;)

Archived