A Word on the Pats Draft

TomShane

Does anyone know if RichardSeymour ever responded to my inquiry about the Pats draft? All I saw was some dude screaming about adding 'quality' players and 'depth' without addressing the fact that Hobbs isn't even listed in many draft guides and Logan Mankins can't be seen in any draft guide picked higher than the bottom of round two? And what about filling holes? Some dude said that the Pats had no real holes to fill, except for MLB and RCB (unless career washout Duane Starks is better than nothing, I guess). So let me know when RS gets back in, K? :lol::evil:

OK, anybody else get the irony/sarcasm/intellect of this post?

gg, just look up, it's flying over your head. =D>

I know, without a doubt, RS will give an exceptional rebuttal.

Does anyone know if RichardSeymour ever responded to my inquiry about the Pats draft? All I saw was some dude screaming about adding 'quality' players and 'depth' without addressing the fact that Hobbs isn't even listed in many draft guides and Logan Mankins can't be seen in any draft guide picked higher than the bottom of round two? And what about filling holes? Some dude said that the Pats had no real holes to fill, except for MLB and RCB (unless career washout Duane Starks is better than nothing, I guess). So let me know when RS gets back in, K? :lol::evil:

Simple question. Do you think that 3/4 of the NFL GM's draft boards look ANYTHING like and of the draft "gurus'" boards do? Really the only way you could call any pick a reach and have any validity is if you personally went and interviewed the other 31 GMs and got their opinions. This is why I haven't even so much as said a word about some of the players the Jets drafted. Because I know the words that the "gurus" type are worth about as much as the toilet paper that I wipe my ass with.

Well uh, your own GM pretty clearly suggested Hobbs was a consideration in round 2.

Not that that isn't damning Hobbs with faint praise but...

YJF: I don't think you EVER have to justify a 7th round pick.

Bradway took some WR out of Tuskeegee who wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at that high level college program....

fine, they may think the guy has tools and can be developed.

Belichick took a guy who everyone acknowledges has some serious tools (his performance for scouts on pro-day created some real buzz, the guy can make all the throws you can ask for, apparantly), and who narrowly lost a battle with Matt Leinart for the starters role after Palmer left (and the rest was history).

I think of it as the Priest Holmes principle: sometimes a quality player can get lost in the shadow of a great one. (For those who don't know/remember, Holmes was Ricky Williams backup in college).

Personally I bet this guy never makes the team. If he has a good camp he'll make the practice squad. From there if he's lucky he MIGHT stick on the team after next offseason and some seasoning in NFL Europe.

It's a 7th round pick. That's where you take some gambles, play some hunches, and hope to strike it rich (Givens) or just to get a guy who can fill a role (Banta-Cain).

Hard to knock the pick, IMO.

This is a funny post. :lol:

Let's face it if The Jets had drafted Matt Cassel. a backup QB in college. I'd have to sit through a ton of Herm and Bradway are idiots posts. I'd have to read "Your front office is so horrible, They don't even draft starting college QB's"

But since The Pats drafted a backup college QB. They get the benefit of the doubt because of their superior track record.

Jets take Cassel. We are blithering idiots.

Pats take Cassel. They found a diamond in the rough and outsmarted everybody.

Yes, I know RS. Brad Johnson was a backup QB in college and he turned out OK.. I know..I know.

I like Logan Mankins (Not where he was drafted) and I like James Sanders (special teams ability).

But the rest of the draft picks are not too impressive. They may turn out OK and The Pats have earned the faith of their fan base and the critics. But on paper, That was a weak draft. Might turn out to be better than people think. Time will tell.

Maybe they should get the benefit of the doubt?

Even back to his day in Cleveland, Belichick has had a knack for getting use out of 7th round pciks.

His 7th last year was cut and is with the Falcons I believe.

In 2003, Banta-Cain is a LBer in the making (converted from college DE) and plays special teams. Ethan Kelley is still in Belichick's famous Red Shirt...errr Injury/Player Development program, but saw his first action last year. The other pick was cut.

In 2002, David Givens came to the team and after a season and half on the lower end of the depth chart, injuries gave him playing time and he has been a very good contributor since. The other pick was an injured RB from Virginia that the Patriots took a chance on, but never panned out.

Bit hits the nail on the head sort of. It is not so much that the Patriots and Belichick get a pass, but they have done an outstanding job of managing the roster. They have not fallen into the pratfalls other Superbowl champions and dyansties did by getting old over night.

No, I am not saying book the duck boats, but look at there roster. Only two current players on offense are 30 or over. Dillon just turned 30 and Fauria is third on the depth chart. They have 4 player 28 or 29, one (Neal)is a starter, two (Faulk and Dwight) will contribute, but are not irreplaqceable and Jed Weaver is ther for camp competition.

Defense is similar, but not quite as young. The DL is. Only Traylor is over 30, 34 to be exact, but his replacement is already starting Wilfork. The other 7 rosters spots are occupied 26 and younger. The secondary has gotten it's youth injection. While Poole, Harrison and Starks ared over 30, only Harrison started the Superbowl. Wilson, is prooven and Assante, Randal and Reid all saw time in the Superbowl and under 25. With Scott coming back, Hobbs, Sanders added to the mix, plus Poteat coming back, there is a corps of younger guys. The LBers are in the worst and most questionable state. Bruschi, IMHO, is gone. However, Vrabel Colvin and Beisel are under 30. After them, Banta-Cain, Chatham and Alexander are approaching either ascending to starters or career ST players, like Izzo. Now, Claridge is added to the mix and reading all the write-ups on him, there is nothing not to like, whether talent is realized remains to be seen. Ted Johnson and Willie are over 30.

The bottomline is the Patriots have only 12 players over 30 and two of them are kickers. This is a young team and that is how the Patriots drafted. Maybe Barrett Ruud would have been a better pick at 32, but with two OL signed through next season and another three FAs in 2006. Mankins and Kaczur were the right picks for the Patriots.

Archived