Jets Lack Quality Depth at Defensive Tackle

Barton

Aside from the Oline, I think defensive tackle is definetly our weakest in terms of quality depth.

I thought picking up 2 DTs in this draft would have been a wise decision considering the current depth chart at DT

DEFENSIVE TACKLES (currently on our roster)

91 Josh Evans DT

98 Alan Harper DT

70 Lance Legree DT

- Sione Pouha DT

63 Dewayne Robertson DT

Tank Reed

Alan Harper --- complete waste of space, won't even make the team

Josh Evans --- leaning towards retirement due to bad back, over 30

Lance Legree --- solid backup

Sione Pouha --- solid backup

Tank Reed --- decent backup

Dewayne Robertson --- borderline all pro, great player

OK, lets just go out and assume Josh Evans retires and Alan Harper doesn't make the team.

That leaves us with 3 nice backups and 1 stud.

I recently talked to Vikings fans about their 6th rd draft choice C.J. Mosley as well as his chances to make the team. I know they have a great DT pair with Pat Williams and Kevin Williams, as well as 2 solid backups in Steve Martin and Spencer Johnson.

Vikings fans seem to think CJ Mosley has a 50/50 chance to make the team, and more then a few think he'll be a practice squad player or a flat out cut (I doubt that).

Anyways, I just think the Jets need more depth at DT. And why would Josh Evans consider retiring if he anything left? This just tells me he's completely done.

ALSO, keep in mind.

The cowboys are switching to the 3-4 defense. Ferguson will play NT. Marcus Spears will play DE and Greg Ellis/Chris Canty the other end spot

Where does that leave La'roi Glover?? He was rumored to be cut a few months ago, but survived the 1st wave, but I think he gets cut June 1st.

It would've been nice to see the Jets get either Pat Williams, Tony Williams or Chris Hovan or SOMEBODY that was a proven starter this off-season but they didn't. With a line around either Pouha, Reed or Legree of John Abraham, Shaun Ellis and Dewayne Robertson they should be able to shine. Pouha will hopefully win the job in camp because he is a big mofo who will hopefully contribute and play just as well as JFerg and should help stop the run even more.

between who me legree, reed, harper, pouha and DROB the DT group is actually pretty strong.

Remember that DROB is a rare DT that makes everyone else on the line better. The NYJ don't have to stack the house on overpaid talent when #63 has an OL in each hand... the two players creeping backward... we've all seen it happen - the scary thing is he's still getting better -

Some of you get too hung up on what rd a player

was picked in! Our 2 best all Time D-lines had

3rd picks to 7th rd picks on it! Do the names

Verlon Biggs,John Elliot,Gerry Philbin,Joe

Klecko and Abdul Salaam ring a bell?? The

Present line has almost all number 1 picks

on it..And if you count Drob's 2 firsts and a 4th

and Ellis was a 1st and a 2nd you actually have

a underperforming line Draft choice wise! The Big

Poobah will be a starter by Game 3 or sooner!!

Plus Hermie likes him because he's showing

Hermie how to do a Real Luau!! Move over Ribs

and Chicken the Iron Chef is doing Suckling Pig! =D>

Some of you get too hung up on what rd a player

was picked in! Our 2 best all Time D-lines had

3rd picks to 7th rd picks on it! Do the names

Verlon Biggs,John Elliot,Gerry Philbin,Joe

Klecko and Abdul Salaam ring a bell?? The

Present line has almost all number 1 picks

on it..And if you count Drob's 2 firsts and a 4th

and Ellis was a 1st and a 2nd you actually have

a underperforming line Draft choice wise! The Big

Poobah will be a starter by Game 3 or sooner!!

Plus Hermie likes him because he's showing

Hermie how to do a Real Luau!! Move over Ribs

and Chicken the Iron Chef is doing Suckling Pig! =D>

I agree with everything you said except for the lame Herm jokes.

Look at some of the best DT's in the league and where they were drafted.

Jamal Williams from San Diego(what a monster he is).. Undrafted

LaRoi Glover (NFLEurope star)

Pat Williams, San Adams, Ted Washington, all these players were late round or undrafted players.

I agree with Bitonti. The Jets have an extremely talented d-line. Whomever lines up next to Ellis. Abraham and D-Rob has got a much easier job than most.

Wouldn't mind another veteran free agent but it's not as big of a need as one would think.

Who lines up next to DRob will not matter. Put a big body there to clog up space and let DRob do his thing. The problem is when DRob is out for a breather, or god forbid he gets injured, we will have a problem. But that's football. We just need quality backups, which quite frankly I think we already do.

Grand Poobah and all, he was not even a very good college player. He has great measurables and looked good now and then in games, but Hawthorne would have been a much wiser pick.

Look bro, just because we took your boy Justin Miller doesnt make you a draft guru. Talke to me when you work for draftdaddy. :lol:

Grand Poobah and all, he was not even a very good college player. He has great measurables and looked good now and then in games, but Hawthorne would have been a much wiser pick.

Yeah? Hawthorne took games off, never played up to his potential, and really wasn't all that. And, to top off that sundae, he was a pot head, or some kind of druggie. Either way, Pouha, freakin excellent pick. Bit knows his D-linemen, and O-linemen for that matter. That, and the kid is a top notch citizen. And a man mountain doesn't hurt. Playing in that line, he doesn't have to put up numbers. He just has to occupy space so DRob, Vilma, Ellis, and Abe can do their thing.

Thats what they said about Warren Sapp

Gee, I'm glad the Jets passed on him!

Besides, Hawthorne was just marijuana, big effin deal.

What kind of player would risk his playing career to smoke the reefer?

Oh yeah, Ricky Willams.

What kind of player would you choose, one like Ricky, or a BIG BOY who knows how to lead the troops into battle, like the one pictured below?

What kind of player would risk his playing career to smoke the reefer?

Oh yeah, Ricky Willams.

What kind of player would you choose, one like Ricky, or a BIG BOY who knows how to lead the troops into battle, like the one pictured below?

ok. How about C.J. Mosley? :lol::lol:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I think I'm going to be sick.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Seriously. I mean, I disagree with some particulars here and there and he's capable of serious homerism...

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

... but I'm actually starting to regard Barton as a legitimate poster. Like, not just adequare or something, but as someone capable of insight and good argument.... someone whose opinion you can't just completely dism---

Yurgh. That did it. I have to go throw up now.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Archived