The JetNation.com Mock Draft: Feel Free to Flame

TomShane

This is really the one year that no team might really want that first pick so it would not shock me if San Fran does keeps it to take Johnson who I consider may become the best overall player in the draft.

I guarantee ya the Steelers would LOVE that top pick to get to choose between Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. The problem is that they probably would want too much for us to move from 30 to get that pick.

Good point, Paul. Troy Williamson seems to be the next WR that will come off the board. He looks like a big, bad, fast WR with some skills that could replace Plax. I was counting on Cowher demanding another LB. We shall see, my man.

Tom, ya really think Crowder is in the Greg Lloyd mold? Man would i be happy if he was! Here's the issues i have with that, though.

We are currently up against the cap in a bad way. We will definately lose Plax. Not much hope of a decent FA WR acquisition. So i gotta think they will either trade up and go after one of the top 3 or sit still and take the best available at that spot.

Although i'm not too high on Larry Foote, he did an adequate job replacing Kendrell Bell last season and should be able to hold down the fort another season or two.

Overall, you did a good job on your mock. I wish i could somehow hold that much information in my head about every team like that. It seems that you and Green Jets and Ham are gifted in that area. Or, did ya go to Kyper school together? :lol:

Steelers should be looking at Mark Clayton, Troy Williamson and ROSCOE PARRISH.

Roscoe I think could be one of the biggest steals in this years draft because not only could he be a good #2 or #3 for some team out there but he could be a pretty damn good return man as well. This would help the Steelers out because they would get a young, talented, #3 and would be able to take there then #2 WR in Randle El off of KR's and PR's.

Steelers should be looking at Mark Clayton, Troy Williamson and ROSCOE PARRISH.

Roscoe I think could be one of the biggest steals in this years draft because not only could he be a good #2 or #3 for some team out there but he could be a pretty damn good return man as well. This would help the Steelers out because they would get a young, talented, #3 and would be able to take there then #2 WR in Randle El off of KR's and PR's.

I don't view Randle El as a #2.

I do think they will promote him though. Cowher and Colbert have a history of taking the more versatile player over a more polished one position guy at times (Randle El over Antonio Bryant),so Roscoe has a shot. But in this case they are losing a halfway consistent deep threat. Quite frankly, IMO, that offense won't function well at all without a true playmaker opposite Ward.

Randle El is a fine slot guy but he has a knack for coughing the ball up at times, so i'm hoping that factors in to them getting a true #2 WR.

Steeler fans are either blind or incapable of reading comprehension.

Dude, the best post in this thread is the 2nd post. :wink:

I must say, this IS very good stuff, Tex.

That's actually a pretty good mock.

Just a few comments:

-Love the 49er deal with the Bucs. All AFCE fans should keep your fingers crossed that this happens. Cedric Benson to the Phins is a scary proposition. Benson may lack character issues, but this guy could be a stud and we (Pats and Jet fans) don't want to face this guy twice a year.

-I like the Jets deal with the Cowboys for Jones. His pure speed will allow him to recover from mistakes. Would be a great selection for the Jets. I've said on other boards, that Abe is not worth a 1st rounder straight up. Your 2006 #2 would do the trick. But I still think the Jets could offer a 3rd or 4th in 2005 and get the Boys to bite.

-I'd be ecstatic if the Pats would land Browner. You know they will go CB with this selection, it's just a matter of who. The guy I really like is Corey Webster from LSU. He would be a reach with #32 but he'll also be gone at #64 in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats make some moves if there is a CB out there they really covet.

-Pats also have to address their LB issue. The Pats LB's are getting old and they need an influx of youth and speed to keep running the 3-4. Look for BB to target an undersized, athletic DE in the middle rounds and switch him to LB.

• 12 years later...
On 2/21/2005 at 11:02 PM, TomShane said:

MOCK DRAFT 2005 (Pre-combine)Round 1

==========================

2. Mia Dolphins::: QB Aaron Rodgers~ Cal

Miami loses the guy it needed in Cedric Benson and decides that Cadillac isn't worth the #2 pick overall. In typical Dolphin fashion, they get caught between a rock and a hard place and draft Rodgers. Not a horrible spot to be in if you're the Dolphins, but they still are left with no excuses for trading for Jay Feeley last year. Nick Saban knows he's re-building, so he'll take Rodgers and use 2005 to make him into an NFL QB. He just needs to hope he's better than former Cal prodigy Kyle Boller, whom Cal coach Jeff Tedford had previously (as with Rodgers) propped up to look like a first-rounder.

11. NY Jets (via Dal Cowboys; 2005 #11 pick, 2006 second-rounder in exchange for rights to DE John Abraham)::: CB Pac-Man Jones~ West Virginia

Terry Bradway gets Donnie Henderson the lightning-quick and tough Pac-Man Jones. He's a reported head-case, but he immediately becomes the fastest Jet since Aaron Glenn. Donnie Abraham, pack your bags. Jerry Jones all but guaranteed that the Cowboys will trade at least one, if not both, of their firsts this year. It's about NOW for the Cowboys, and they don't want any players that can't contribute immediately. John Abraham helps them do that. It's hard to imagine a player choosing not to play in the playoffs with Parcells as the head coach. Abraham, all of a sudden, stays healthy. Go figure.

Wow, your mock draft had the Dolphins taking Aaron Rodgers and the Jets taking Pac Man Jones.   How Jetsy is that!

50 minutes ago, Larz said:

Is the new TomShane an imposter or did he just get lazy? 

He died long ago and the government genetically cloned him.

i find it so funny how this draft really turned out. who would of thought Aaron Rodgers would of turned out to be one of the best to ever play. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow, your mock draft had the Dolphins taking Aaron Rodgers and the Jets taking Pac Man Jones.   How Jetsy is that!

Could you imagine having Brady and Rodgers in our division? Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

On 2/24/2005 at 9:01 AM, TomShane said:

Good point, Paul. Troy Williamson seems to be the next WR that will come off the board. He looks like a big, bad, fast WR with some skills that could replace Plax. I was counting on Cowher demanding another LB. We shall see, my man.

I forgot that I used to speak to people on the internet in this manner, like some genial guest services robot voice you talk to when you call your car insurance. Truly shameful and disgusting by me.

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Could you imagine having Brady and Rodgers in our division? Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Gotta wonder if he would still be the same player without a year on the bench or more importantly without Brett Favre/Green Bay tutelage.

It would also mean Chad Pennington wouldn’t later sign with them and go 11-5.

To recap: the presence of Chad Pennington precluded taking Aaron Rodgers. And taking Pacman Jones- suspensions,fines, general jackassery-would have been light years better than the guy they picked. What a glorious history. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gotta wonder if he would still be the same player without a year on the bench or more importantly without Brett Favre/Green Bay tutelage.

#mentoring

Even if by every account Favre and Rodgers couldn't stand each other and Favre wasn't teaching anyone anything beyond drinking games. 

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Favre gave zero ****s about mentoring A-A-Ron.

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

#mentoring

Even if by every account Favre and Rodgers couldn't stand each other and Favre wasn't teaching anyone anything beyond drinking games. 

To be fair, everyone who knows Rodgers seems to either outright hate him or, at best, finds him aloof and odd. He recently did an interview with Mina Kimes and he comes off like a sociopath in the Christian Bale mold.

Archived