BOXING

Green Jets & Ham

Tonite ... HBO ... 10:30

Miguel Cotto Vs DeMarcus Corley

Just a heads up, fellas ... Cotto is one of the best young fighters in the world :wink:

you know I've been pumping up this Rican sensation for awhile now

those of you who haven't seen him, please do yourself a favor and see why this kid is on his way to be pfp best in boxing

lethal combo of strength and speed will be on display tonite against a tough chop chop mccorley

this will be the next welterweight champ

hope to see him fight gatti, mayweather or tsu this year

That stop was BAD. There wasn't much time left in the round (I know that is not a factor). But he could have bounced back after the bell.
Yea except they showed the replay and he never even got hit,except for a glancing blow off his shoulder . No need to stop anything.

Couple of observations

1. Only reason Cotto wasn't knocked out tonite is cause Corley is not a good finisher ... in fact, he's a horrible finisher ... very good fighter, just a terrible finisher ... if that was a guy like Mayweather who had Cotto hurt that bad, he would have ten-counted him

2. Cotto is a strong kid who has a punchers chance verses anyone ... ANYONE ... but he's easy to hit and he doesn't have the best chin, so I would not recommend that he goes anywheres near Floyd Mayweather right now cause Floyd will probably clean his clock ... he's not just not ready for Mayweather and he's really not in Floyd's class

3. Cotto has a better chance verses Judah who has more of a style he can deal with, but even Judah or Tzu would have to be favored ... and again, I would give Cotto only a punchers chance

4. Tonite's stoppage was a disgrace ... it was exactly what Larry Merchant called it before he backtracked, a hometown stoppage by a hometown referee ... that man should never referee another fight

couple of observations

first...it was a bad stop no doubt, the ref was all together but cant say 100% it was a hometown thing because he took a point away from Cotto first for a LB without a warning and then gave it back by doing the same thing to Corley

second, corley is a good tough fighter that has been teetering on the edge of championship material for a while so its no shame that miguel got caught good by him but what no one mentioned is taht he's a southpaw and they always give guys trouble (watch Trinidad vs winky wright)

third overall cotto looked a bit disappointing tonite and probably will not impress first time viewers but take a few things in consideration such as the southpaw issue and leave it a wash and catch him again, but i dont think hes quite ready yet either

also an update on Cotto's next fight on June 17th at MSG.....possibly a rematch???

Cotto to return June 17th at MSG in possible Corley Rematch?

WBO junior welterweight champion Miguel Cotto will return June 17th in New York's Madison Square Garden according to Top Rank official Todd Duboef. WBA champion Vicious Vivian Harris who was the front runner apparently priced himself out of the bout and will likely be replaced with DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley in a rematch of Saturday's controversial bout. Top Rank's Bob Arum informed TainoBox that money issues would likely sideline the Harris bout. “His monetary demands ($750k) are enormous and ridiculous. This boy (Cotto) fought his heart out tonight and only got $200,000. It doesn’t make any sense because nobody knows who Harris is.” said Arum.

i know this thread is about Cotto but did anyone else see that Ken Burns doc about Jack Johnson? i bought it last week and it was mind blowing... what that dude had to overcome was out of control. In his prime May be the best heavyweight that ever lived?

Papi, Estaban DeJesus was a Great Puerto Rican fighter ... very under-rated

I liked Edwin Rosario too ... made me some money the nite he knocked out Bramble ... and I was at the Garden the nite he beat Hector Camacho and got robbed without a gun.

The shame of it is that Rosario didn't accomplish what I thought he would ... I thought he was gonna be a GREAT, GREAT fighter ... he had the talent to be GREAT, but for whatever reason he just didn't reach that level

Nothing to be ashamed of ... the man was a world champion ... but I thought he would achieve Greatness

i know this thread is about Cotto but did anyone else see that Ken Burns doc about Jack Johnson? i bought it last week and it was mind blowing... what that dude had to overcome was out of control. In his prime May be the best heavyweight that ever lived?

Good Call, Bit ... you can't have a conversation about the greatest heavyweights of all-time and not mention Jack Johnson's name ... he's in that conversation

the problem with Johnson as the GOAT is that he never got to fight alot of the era's great boxers in their primes - he was the top contender at age of 24 and didn't get his shot until his was 30.

in terms of competition, the heavyweight division was at it's peak during Ali's time - and since he beat em all that means Ali has to be the GOAT - but without Johnson there would be no Ali - he paved the way -

crazy thing, After JJ lost the title 7 years later the next black man to get a shot at the Heavyweight crown was 15 years removed from that fight. This dude Johnson was so amazing he fought real bouts in his 40s and 50s and even exhibition bouts into his early 60s!

Best fighters I have seen in my lifetime by division ... only fighters I have seen in my lifetime

=============

Heavyweight ~ Clay/Ali

==============

Cruiserweight ~ Evander Holyfield

==============

LT Heavyweight ~ Dwight Braxton

==============

Middleweight ~ Marvin Hagler

==============

Jr Middleweight ~ Tommy Hearns

==============

Welterweight ~ Sugar Ray Leonard

==============

Jr Welterweight ~ Aaron Pryor

==============

Lightweight ~ Roberto Duran

==============

Jr Lightweight ~ Alexis Arguello

==============

Featherweight ~ Salvador Sanchez

==============

Jr Featherweight ~ Wilfredo Gomez

==============

Bantamweight ~ Carlos Zarate

==============

Jr Bantamweight ~ Marco Antonio Barrera

==============

Ham

Where is Roy Jones Jr.??

JC Chavez

Barerra?

So many damn good ones...real warriors

Where do I put Chavez?

He won titles in four different weight divisions, but was he better than Arguello? Duran? Pryor? Leonard?

He would have to beat out one of those guys to make the list, but I don't see him beating any one of them in their primes ...there's no doubt he's an all-time great, but so are those fighters

Maybe it's a close call with Arguello and Pryor, but I would give them the nod

Same deal with Jones ... I don't think he was better than Hagler or Hearns or Braxton ... class call with Braxton, but I would give Braxton the nod at LT Heavy

Just added Berrera as a Jr Bantamweight where he won his first title and made a number of defenses :wink:

I think we are watching one of the ALL TIME GREATS RIGHT NOW!!

Probably the most unheralded Champions I have ever seen fights, and produced one of the most inspirational victories in my lifetime

None other than the X Man....Bernard Hopkins

Best fighters I have seen in my lifetime by division ... only fighters I have seen in my lifetime

=============

Heavyweight ~ Clay/Ali

==============

Cruiserweight ~ Evander Holyfield

==============

LT Heavyweight ~ Dwight Braxton

==============

Middleweight ~ Marvin Hagler

==============

Jr Middleweight ~ Tommy Hearns

==============

Welterweight ~ Sugar Ray Leonard

==============

Jr Welterweight ~ Aaron Pryor

==============

Lightweight ~ Roberto Duran

==============

Jr Lightweight ~ Alexis Arguello

==============

Featherweight ~ Salvador Sanchez

==============

Jr Featherweight ~ Wilfredo Gomez

==============

Bantamweight ~ Carlos Zarate

==============

Jr Bantamweight ~ Marco Antonio Barrera

==============

Why can't I think of a flyweight? #-o

Papi ... Somebody ... help me out here ... how bout a flyweight?

Archived