Cap Question

Jetlag

Is it possible to use the $27 million that we're under the cap to pay off some of the guarenteed money we owe in the future, right now? If so, why wouldn't Mike do that?

The $27M figure is for the 2007-2008 season.

We have a few mil left (or so I thought). That part I don't understand. Why any team would finish any season under the cap instead of giving some of next-year's salary up front as a mid-season/late-season roster bonus (or just a flat-out increase in salary).

We have a few mil left (or so I thought). That part I don't understand. Why any team would finish any season under the cap instead of giving some of next-year's salary up front as a mid-season/late-season roster bonus (or just a flat-out increase in salary).

Do you think there is something against that? I mean I'm sure they keep some money around in case of injuries and they need to sign someone off the street, even still how much are you going to have to pay them.

Do you think there is something against that? I mean I'm sure they keep some money around in case of injuries and they need to sign someone off the street, even still how much are you going to have to pay them.

No; you can do that. That's why we gave Ty Law some extra $ during the season last year, so when we cut him the hit wouldn't be as bad.

Also keep in mind, though, that the $27M is a little low. I seriously doubt we keep all of:

- Barrett ($4.4M cap #; should get $2-4M in cap relief depending on when he's cut)

- Blaylock (though we'll probably take a $500K cap HIT to cut him)

- Martin (should get at least $1-2M in cap relief)

- Barlow ($3.25M - no penalty for cutting)

- Bobby Hamilton (he or KVO will go, prob BH = $1.5M savings)

- McCariens ($1-3M cap relief depending on when he's cut)

Using the low figures (cut before June 1 so none of it has to come off the 2008 cap), to cut these 6 = $8M in relief

If we cut them all after June 1 it's about $15M more cap space, but then we'll have to take the difference (~$7M) as a cap hit in 2008.

Some variation of the two is most likely, with some getting cut early & some getting cut late depending on who we get in FA or draft.

But it's very encouraging that we should have, at a MINIMUM, $35M in cap space to play with; and none of these cuts having repercussions the following year when DRob ($7M salary in '08) will be cut & Chad also ($5M salary) unless he's still starting.

And if we don't use up all that room, we can push some players' '08 salaries to '07 if we know we're keeping them.

Summary: we should be in outstanding cap shape for a while.

No; you can do that. That's why we gave Ty Law some extra $ during the season last year, so when we cut him the hit wouldn't be as bad.

Also keep in mind, though, that the $27M is a little low. I seriously doubt we keep all of:

- Barrett ($4.4M cap #; should get $2-4M in cap relief depending on when he's cut)

- Blaylock (though we'll probably take a $500K cap HIT to cut him)

- Martin (should get at least $1-2M in cap relief)

- Barlow ($3.25M - no penalty for cutting)

- Bobby Hamilton (he or KVO will go, prob BH = $1.5M savings)

- McCariens ($1-3M cap relief depending on when he's cut)

Using the low figures (cut before June 1 so none of it has to come off the 2008 cap), to cut these 6 = $8M in relief

If we cut them all after June 1 it's about $15M more cap space, but then we'll have to take the difference (~$7M) as a cap hit in 2008.

Some variation of the two is most likely, with some getting cut early & some getting cut late depending on who we get in FA or draft.

But it's very encouraging that we should have, at a MINIMUM, $35M in cap space to play with; and none of these cuts having repercussions the following year when DRob ($7M salary in '08) will be cut & Chad also ($5M salary) unless he's still starting.

And if we don't use up all that room, we can push some players' '08 salaries to '07 if we know we're keeping them.

Summary: we should be in outstanding cap shape for a while.

Maybe Barrett is over-priced. But I have been impressed with him in big games. Against Pitt in 04, against the Chargers 04 (granted week recievers), he had a nice pick against the vikings. Forced fumble against the Dolphins.

Every time I turn around he makes a play. I hope we can keep him some how.

We did this with the Bryan Thomas extension among others... You also don't know what has happened that the press did not get wind of.

You do need to save a little salary cap room all season long to sign guys in case someone gets hurt...

We did this with the Bryan Thomas extension among others... You also don't know what has happened that the press did not get wind of.

You do need to save a little salary cap room all season long to sign guys in case someone gets hurt...

Absolutely. But I don't see a reason to finish the season with $10M in cap room & then have to worry the following season about who to cut (or what FA we can't afford).

And drago - if we don't add any other CB's I think Barrett will stay since we're in such good financial shape for a change. But if we go after a stud like Samuel or Clements to start opposite Dyson then I'm sure he's gone.

Absolutely. But I don't see a reason to finish the season with $10M in cap room & then have to worry the following season about who to cut (or what FA we can't afford).

And drago - if we don't add any other CB's I think Barrett will stay since we're in such good financial shape for a change. But if we go after a stud like Samuel or Clements to start opposite Dyson then I'm sure he's gone.

to get clement would be friggen awsome. The would be probably the best tandem in football, save mcallister/rolle, and until recently williams/bailey

Archived