What should the Jets do with their Salary Cap?

penguini 15

It's pretty obvious to me where we lack, we can't run the ball, and we can't stop the run. My wish list:

-Run blocking RG/RT

-Feature running back

-Run stopping DT

We ran for about 70 yards today, NE had about 160. If you can run, you can:

-control the clock

-keep your defense rested

-demoralize the opposing defense

-open up the passing game

This doesn't need to be done through free agency, but the draft as well.

What FA QB's are out there?

David Carr? Leftwich? They aren't free agents, but they can be had.

Just not sure they are a significant enough upgrade over Pennington to spend a draft pick on them. Particularly not Carr. He has the arm of Brett Favre and the mindset of Patrick Ramsey.

i just have a feeling we are going to sign zero major contributors this off-season. have we ever been known to sign big name free agent playmakers?

Does the name Brad Kassell ring a bell?

He makes a ton of big plays*.

* - for the other team

I don't think there will be any problem spending that money. We have some young players who will be wanting more money soon, and a lot of holes to fill both on offence and defence.

A good lead-blocking FB could do wonders for Washington. But FB's are so underrated these days, I doubt they'll bother getting one. As for the defence, it all starts with the line.

David Carr? Leftwich? They aren't free agents, but they can be had.

Just not sure they are a significant enough upgrade over Pennington to spend a draft pick on them. Particularly not Carr. He has the arm of Brett Favre and the mindset of Patrick Ramsey.

I don't think Leftwich has anything left in the tank. Carr's numbers are similar to Chad's, but he will probably be available. Watch Plummer go to Houston for a 2nd round pick and the Texans trying to get a #1 for Carr. I'd pass at that price.

I did not compare this year to last year.

And, you are wrong. The Jets had a lot of space. Pretty much every team did with the new CBA.

The issue last year was that we didn't have enough cap space when we needed it. As you pointed out, we DID have cap room. But the problem (and there may be the same problem this year) is that with the added cap relief to ALL teams, the FA's just weren't there to be had, or most were snatched up while we were still clearing space.

Don't forget that a BIG chunk of extra cap room (~$8M) was tied up with Abe for weeks while he was carrying the franchise tag. And even renegotiating with Chad kind of saved us cap room and kind of didn't. It would've saved room for the following season if he didn't come back. But he didn't clear up anything since like $6M was tied to LTBE playing-time incentives. So $6M of cap space was artificial & disappeared after the Chicago game. Another $8M wasn't there until late March when most of the marquis free agents were already signed.

This year we're in MUCH better shape. With the release of a couple of backup players we'll be well over $30M under the cap. More than enough to acquire any player Mangini deems as "needed badly" next year.

I think if there is one thing the mangini/tannenbaum tandem has proved thus far, its that they are a proactive pair. I would be very suprised to see anything less then a very aggresive, calculated, and succesful off-season....look for a few from the Indy Defensive front to don Green come August...

The issue last year was that we didn't have enough cap space when we needed it. As you pointed out, we DID have cap room. But the problem (and there may be the same problem this year) is that with the added cap relief to ALL teams, the FA's just weren't there to be had, or most were snatched up while we were still clearing space.

Don't forget that a BIG chunk of extra cap room (~$8M) was tied up with Abe for weeks while he was carrying the franchise tag. And even renegotiating with Chad kind of saved us cap room and kind of didn't. It would've saved room for the following season if he didn't come back. But he didn't clear up anything since like $6M was tied to LTBE playing-time incentives. So $6M of cap space was artificial & disappeared after the Chicago game. Another $8M wasn't there until late March when most of the marquis free agents were already signed.

This year we're in MUCH better shape. With the release of a couple of backup players we'll be well over $30M under the cap. More than enough to acquire any player Mangini deems as "needed badly" next year.

I know that.

But madmike said that we had "zero" cap space last year, which you and I both know isn't true.

Here are the positions we need to take a serious look at in no particular order:

1. RB

2. CB

3. NT

4. RT

5. LB

Some players to look at include: Michael Turner, Ahman Green, Asante Samuel, Rashean Mathis, Lance Briggs, Tully Banta-Cain.

Archived