:: Yankees, Cairo agree to deal ::

NEW YORK -- The Yankees continue to fill their

remaining needs for the 2007 season, coming

together with utility infielder Miguel Cairo on a

one-year contract. Of his 57 starts for the

Yankees in 2006, Cairo earned 36 nods at

second base while Robinson Cano served a

disabled list stint, batting .269 with 22 RBIs

and seven stolen bases as a second baseman.

<< FULL STORY >>

http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=f2-OZVTQUwWRr23sQ~0pgwU6quqoRZR

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you relize that the yankees have ZERO depth right now? What happens if Posada gets hurt? What about Arod? Jeter? Cano? THEY HAVE NO ONE to back any of those players up except one of the worst hitters in the game in cairo and 2 awful backup C's. Thats a horrible way to go into a season.

Do you relize that the yankees have ZERO depth right now? What happens if Posada gets hurt? What about Arod? Jeter? Cano? THEY HAVE NO ONE to back any of those players up except one of the worst hitters in the game in cairo and 2 awful backup C's. Thats a horrible way to go into a season.

Welcome to how 90% of the the rest of basball teams have to operate.

It may be hard to fathom, but sometimes it is not economically feasible to have an all-star back up your all star. Difficult notion for a Yankee fan to understand, I can only guess.

I can only assume the reason that George is saving pennies in the piggy bank, is that he is prepping for the price of the new ballpark.

Or, he doesn't care about winning as much.

Welcome to how 90% of the the rest of basball teams have to operate.

It may be hard to fathom, but sometimes it is not economically feasible to have an all-star back up your all star. Difficult notion for a Yankee fan to understand, I can only guess.

I can only assume the reason that George is saving pennies in the piggy bank, is that he is prepping for the price of the new ballpark.

Or, he doesn't care about winning as much.

No one is asking for an All Star. There is a HUGE difference between an all star and a player with negative value. He shouldn't even be in the majors.

Cairo is a great defensive player. I would think that someone who cried over the loss of a washed-up 43-year-old pitcher would place some value on defense.

Upon the securing of the services of one Miggy Cairo, THE PENNANT IS OURS!

Cairo is a great defensive player. I would think that someone who cried over the loss of a washed-up 43-year-old pitcher would place some value on defense.

He's NOT a great defensive player. He's below avg in EVERY defensive stat and he can't hit. He's COMPLETELY USELESS.

I dont know if there is a better option out there, but I'd like to see a utility guy that has some speed and range in the field, Cairo has neither. He's not much of a hitter either, even though he did good 3 yrs ago. He sucked with the Mets, and sucked last year for us.

W/E is what I say to this move. He can always be released.

I dont know if there is a better option out there, but I'd like to see a utility guy that has some speed and range in the field, Cairo has neither. He's not much of a hitter either, even though he did good 3 yrs ago. He sucked with the Mets, and sucked last year for us.

it's whatever till we get an injury then we have him being an automatic out in the lineup...

13 of 14 in the SB department last year.

The guy has a .268 career BA and hit .239 last year. Perfectly acceptable ifor a backup infielder.

He's neither horrible nor useless and your idiotic repetition of those allegations does not make them so.

For a backup, he does quite well. And he played very well while Cano was out.

No he does not do quite well. There is no universe where a 600 OPS is "quite well" NONE. And he did NOT play well while Cano was out. Why don't you explain to me how a 600 OPS is quite well. He's one of the 3 worst hitters in the game and he doesn't deserve to be in the majors.

The guy has a .268 career BA and hit .239 last year. Perfectly acceptable ifor a backup infielder.

He's neither horrible nor useless and your idiotic repetition of those allegations does not make them so.

Your idiotic repetition of meaningless stats like BA doesn't make it mean anything.

Just to show how awful this guy is of all the players in baseball who got 200PA's he's ranked 334 of 340 in OPS. Thats not a player a team with a 170 million dollar payroll and championship expectations should have on their team under ANY circumstances.

So, stats that don't support your argument are off-limits?

I'm glad that Cashman and Torre are smarter than you are.

Meaningless stats like BA are off limits. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that BA is an AWFUL AWFUL stat. And his BA is horrible anyway LOL.

Edit: Even if BA WERE a meaningful stat he'd still be ranked 286 out of 310. AKA bad.

Hell, no. I just said they're smarter than YOU. I realize that's not exactly an exclusive club.

Would you like to have a conversation or would you like to lob insults? I just showed you that even using your meaningless stat (BA) Cairo is still garbage. Cashman has said over and over again that OPS is a MUCH more important stat then batting avg but i guess when i say the same thing then i'm a moron huh?

Solid defensive player who can steal a base and hit very well with runners in scoring position last year. Another solid move by Cashman.
He's below league avg in EVERY defensive stat that means anything and his RISP numbers are clearly a fluke. Join reality. This guy sucks.

He's below league avg in EVERY defensive stat that means anything and his RISP numbers are clearly a fluke. Join reality. This guy sucks.

Mike, you are officially the David Koresh of the baseball forum minus the followers. Please add me to your ignore list or just don't comment on anything I say from here on out. You've made it quite clear that you believe your baseball knowledge is far superior to that of every other fan on this forum. Every stat you don't like is a fluke, meaningless, or overrated. For every ****ty player you do like, things like luck are the measuring stick. You are so full of yourself that it makes me sick.

Archived