The Airbus A380

Just watching its first flight, and damn, it's a monster. Only holds 800 passengers.

I make 2-3 business trips per month and have flown on every type of plane imaginable from the smallest to the largest. There is no way in the world that I am getting on that flying hotel, I am amazed it can get off the ground. If one of those things goes down that's 800 people in one shot. Yikes!

Just watching its first flight, and damn, it's a monster. Only holds 800 passengers.

That thing is a monster. I spent 24 hours in a C-5 (along with 6 helicopters) flying from Griffiss AFB to Mogadishu. Thank god for tranqs.

i heard they held 550 people.....still alot of friggin people.

I make 2-3 business trips per month and have flown on every type of plane imaginable from the smallest to the largest. There is no way in the world that I am getting on that flying hotel, I am amazed it can get off the ground. If one of those things goes down that's 800 people in one shot. Yikes!

i heard they held 550 people.....still alot of friggin people.

It will hold ~550 in the standard 3 class configuration. It can hold up to ~800 in the "all economy" route which is what they will probably be using for flights within Japan.

This thing can even be arranged to have "suites" and offices on one the the 3 floors. Pretty cool.

if this thing can get me to europe in august for under 500 bucks r/t then i love it

like i said, dont underestimate the EU as a future major $$$player$$

Any aircraft maker can be a major player when subsidized by 3 European Nations.

I wouldn't fly an Airbus to if it was the last flight off a sinking island.

you wouldnt fly an airbus? that makes no sense unless blind hatred of europeans is your gig.

it doesnt matter if they are subsidized, how many american entities are subsidized? the point is, they built a better moustrap. if its huge and fuel efficient, boeing is going to go to the crapper and with it american jobs. since your boy bush has made americans hated worldwide, all things being equal people are going to buy airbusses even just for spite

the bottom line is they they are competeing and winning. sorry guns...enjoy mt rushmore hot dogs mah niggah, ill be eating goat cheese in hungary with a little luck :lol:

It will hold ~550 in the standard 3 class configuration. It can hold up to ~800 in the "all economy" route which is what they will probably be using for flights within Japan.

This thing can even be arranged to have "suites" and offices on one the the 3 floors. Pretty cool.

Branson's talking about installing gyms on Virgin A380's.....

you wouldnt fly an airbus? that makes no sense unless blind hatred of europeans is your gig.

it doesnt matter if they are subsidized, how many american entities are subsidized? the point is, they built a better moustrap. if its huge and fuel efficient, boeing is going to go to the crapper and with it american jobs. since your boy bush has made americans hated worldwide, all things being equal people are going to buy airbusses even just for spite

the bottom line is they they are competeing and winning. sorry guns...enjoy mt rushmore hot dogs mah niggah, ill be eating goat cheese in hungary with a little luck :lol:

....sorry Dickie but Guns is correct. I wouldn't fly to many airbus either and it has nothing to do with European hate. Airbus have been notorious for having many mechanical problems and various other inefficiencies. They are very hard to maintain and unless you have a great group of mechanicsto take care of them they will be a problem. I base this on my experiences with them at the airport and watching how they always crapped out. Air Jamaica used to cancel so many flights everyday behind "simple" mechanical problems. And not to mention the American Airlines airbus problems and the engine falling off in that crash after 9/11. I like the fuel efficient part about them cause it will keep me with a job. But the crappiness of the planes overall doesn't make them worth their weight. That is a beautiful massive plane though. A beauty.

DK,

It's no secret that I'm not a 'big' fan of 'some' European countries for their politics. I don't dislike all of Europe just because they're Europe. I'm sure you remember me mentioning that I lived in Germany for 3 years. After how nice my wife and I were treated by the Germans (and most Europeans for that matter)and the warmth that our German neighbors put forth to make us feel at home, I'll always have a small place in my heart for them.

But when it comes to the Airbus, I'm not a big fan for a number of reasons.

1. Airbus Design - Airbus relies a lot more on computer control of their aircraft in every aspect from taking off, to flying, to landing. That computer control is what made an Airbus think it was 'time to land' and make a perfect landing into a forest. (The pilots couldn't override it)

2. Airbus Maintenance - My uncle is a Captain for US Air and my friend is a aircraft mechanic for Northwest. Both of them have told me horror stories about Airbus incidents and they usually pertain to maintenance issues. As jets28 said, they need top of the line mechanics and in the era of massive maintenance cuts amongst airlines we know what that means.

3. Outside the plane itself, I don't like Airbus because it is subsidized by 3 countries and poses a major threat to the only commercial passenger aircraft company left in this country, Boeing. Airbus can natrually undercut Boeing's prices because they have subsidies and airlines are buying a lot of them because of that, undercutting Boeing, who I will comfortably say builds the best aircraft in the world.

So in the end it's my personal belief in Airbus safety and my desire not to see more Americans laid off, not really pure hatred of Europeans. besides, I liked Croatia when I was there, hidden female treasures everywhere. :lol:\

As for Hungary, the day you go to Budapest let me know I'm coming along. I was there in 1997 for R&R and after 4 days I didn't want to go back. I've never seen so many beautiful women in my life.

DK,

It's no secret that I'm not a 'big' fan of 'some' European countries for their politics. I don't dislike all of Europe just because they're Europe. I'm sure you remember me mentioning that I lived in Germany for 3 years. After how nice my wife and I were treated by the Germans (and most Europeans for that matter)and the warmth that our German neighbors put forth to make us feel at home, I'll always have a small place in my heart for them.

But when it comes to the Airbus, I'm not a big fan for a number of reasons.

1. Airbus Design - Airbus relies a lot more on computer control of their aircraft in every aspect from taking off, to flying, to landing. That computer control is what made an Airbus think it was 'time to land' and make a perfect landing into a forest. (The pilots couldn't override it)

2. Airbus Maintenance - My uncle is a Captain for US Air and my friend is a aircraft mechanic for Northwest. Both of them have told me horror stories about Airbus incidents and they usually pertain to maintenance issues. As jets28 said, they need top of the line mechanics and in the era of massive maintenance cuts amongst airlines we know what that means.

3. Outside the plane itself, I don't like Airbus because it is subsidized by 3 countries and poses a major threat to the only commercial passenger aircraft company left in this country, Boeing. Airbus can natrually undercut Boeing's prices because they have subsidies and airlines are buying a lot of them because of that, undercutting Boeing, who I will comfortably say builds the best aircraft in the world.

So in the end it's my personal belief in Airbus safety and my desire not to see more Americans laid off, not really pure hatred of Europeans. besides, I liked Croatia when I was there, hidden female treasures everywhere. :lol:\

As for Hungary, the day you go to Budapest let me know I'm coming along. I was there in 1997 for R&R and after 4 days I didn't want to go back. I've never seen so many beautiful women in my life.

Jolly Good show there Guns....they truly do suck. Boening is great. You honestly haven't seen many problems with them since their inception. And it's not an American thing but just a great product thing. But I would be for a fuel efficient Boeing.. [-o< ...then a lot of problems can be solved.

ok guns, you back your dislike with reasoning.

I heard stories about the original airbuss going haywire. like it just all of a sudden went into a dive and the pilots couldnt do anything about it and then finally it corrected itself.

No doubt boeng and MD make great planes. they are the reason why plane travel has been so safe for so long. i still doubt that the airbuss is not safe, a lot of what we know about airplane manufacturing can fit into a thimble.

as far as the europeans being aggressive and providing subsidies, oh well. americans have been and still are the masters at squeezing world competition out. The europeans are only doing what american corps have been and still are doing. In the end the bottom line is that the airbuss, barring unforeseen accidents and problems, are going to dominate the commercial aircraft sales and who knows, maybe boeng will go to the crapper because of it. thats business. time for the US and Boeng to come up with a plan i say.

either way, safe or not, if it gets me to europe in august for under 500 bucks im on it like a steeler fan pounding a tomshane

Yikes!!!!

You guys had me scrambling. I leave on a pretty long flight tonight, but found it's a 747-400. Not that I couldv'e done much about it.

d

Archived