Josh Evans definitely retiring and list of UDFA's so far

faba

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

April 27, 2005

Josh Evans' heart is still in the game he has played since he was 5 years old. His body, on the other hand, has let him down. Evans, the Jets' defensive tackle who was hoping to return from back surgery that caused him to miss all but one game in 2004, said yesterday he is retiring.

"I just felt like it was time," Evans told Newsday. "Physically I wasn't able to do a lot of the things that I used to be able to do."

Evans, 32, quickly realized his back was not getting any better when he tried to participate in the Jets' offseason workout program last month. He told coach Herman Edwards last week, prompting the re-signing of defensive tackle James Reed.

The Jets have not announced Evans' retirement, but his No. 91 has been assigned to rookie defensive tackle Sione Pouha for this weekend's minicamp. Evans said he soon will submit his retirement papers to the NFL.

It is a bittersweet ending for Evans, who overcame several violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy to become a productive player again with the Jets. He played in the Super Bowl with Tennessee after the 1999 season, but was suspended for the entire 2000 season and for 10 games in 2003. Evans was looking forward to a triumphant comeback last season, but underwent back surgery after only one game. He signed a one-year, minimum salary deal for 2005.

"I feel like I'm going out on a good note," Evans said. "I played in a Super Bowl and had a great game. That was a dream of mine since I could remember dreaming. I was blessed enough to experience that. There's 100 million people growing up wishing to experience something like that, and fortunately for me, I got that chance."

Evans said he will try for a job with the Jets' scouting department. "Even with the ups and downs," Evans said, "the good outweighed the bad for me."

Notes & quotes: Former Jets CB Aaron Glenn was released by Houston, but he is expected to reunite with his former coach, Bill Parcells, in Dallas ... The Jets have agreed with the following undrafted free agents: WR Eddie Jackson (West Virginia), LBs Mondoe Davis (Delaware) and Dennis Healy (Virginia), FB Austine Nwabuisi (Kansas), PK Xavier Beitia (Florida State), OT Mike King (Northwestern Louisiana), and NT Isaac Snell (North Dakota State), who will be moved to the offensive line.

Jets Defensive Tackle Josh Evans Retires

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - Jets defensive tackle Josh Evans has

retired, deciding to end his nine-year career because of a back

injury.

The 32-year-old Evans played in just one game in 2004 after

undergoing season-ending back surgery. He planned to return for

2005 but was slow to recover and decided to call it quits, the team

said Wednesday.

Evans entered the league as a rookie free agent with the Houston

Oilers (1995-1996), moved with the team to Tennessee (1997-2001)

and joined the Jets as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He

played in 93 career regular-season games, finishing with 301

tackles, 21.5 sacks, seven passes defensed, four fumble recoveries

and two forced fumbles.

But he also had his share of troubles. He was suspended for the

entire 2000 season for violating the league's substance-abuse

policy, and again for 10 games last season for a third violation.

His departure leaves the Jets with depth issues at tackle, since

starter Jason Ferguson left for Dallas in the offseason as a free

agent. The Jets signed Lance Legree from the Giants, and also

re-signed James Reed for help. New York drafted defensive tackle

Sione Pouha of Utah in the third round.

why bring in another kicker and waste the kid's time?

I wonder what would prompt a kicker to sign on with THIS team after the drafting of Nugent?

The kid may have not gotten any other camp invites, and at least this way, he gets some exposure, plus you need more than one kicker in camp, or else you'll burn out The Nuge.

Archived