Xavier Betita

Xavier is only here for insurance purposes. You have to cover your hide in case something happens to Nugent.

Herm loves The Nugent pick. The whole front office loves The Nugent pick. He's our kicker. When you go into camp. You gotta have depth at every position. Even kicker.

Jets now have 2 kickers and 2 punters on their training camp roster. You have to do it. Pats signed an undrafted kicker as well. I don't think Vinatieri is losing his job anytime soon.

Xavier is only here for insurance purposes. You have to cover your hide in case something happens to Nugent.

Herm loves The Nugent pick. The whole front office loves The Nugent pick. He's our kicker. When you go into camp. You gotta have depth at every position. Even kicker.

Jets now have 2 kickers and 2 punters on their training camp roster. You have to do it. Pats signed an undrafted kicker as well. I don't think Vinatieri is losing his job anytime soon.

thats fine but why would betita want to come here of all places unless he got no other offers

thats fine but why would betita want to come here of all places unless he got no other offers

I would guess that he had no chance of being signed by a team where the starting K is undecided. He is only here to let Justin Miller practice kick off returns. I doubt he can even be considered insurance because if Nugent gets injured then the Jets would most likely sign a veteran.

To me, being a second kicker in camp to a rookie beats being the second kicker in camp for someone else behind a verteran or being someone's third kicker. There are only 30 something place kickers in the world that are drawing salaries, so any opportunity to show what you got is a good thing.

I couldn't tell you. I have no idea if any other teams pursued Betita. Most teams already have their starting kicker in place. Both they sign a backup kicker for camp.

The undrafted and backup kicker comes into camp and hopes to showcase himself not only for the team that signed him but for other teams.

Maybe Betita thought to himself. Let me go in New York and prove that I am not just a warm weather kicker. Who knows?.. Plus Westhoff has a great reputation.Especially in Flordia. Not a bad idea to work with him during the summer.

Jets fans are reading too much into this. Every team has 2 or 3 kickers on the roster going into camp. You have to do it.

I don't see anybody saying that John Pickens signed with The Jets to steal Jonathan Vilma's job.

Jets would have been much better off just signing Betita as a UDFA instead of wasting a 2nd round pick on a friggn' kicker. #-o

Mike Nugent isn't your ordinary kicker.

Best kicker in the NFL within 3-5 years. (Vinatieri should be gone or slowing down a bit by then and he'll be better then him eventually)

BOOK IT.

Best kicker in the NFL within 3-5 years. (Vinatieri should be gone or slowing down a bit by then and he'll be better then him eventually)

BOOK IT.

And exactly how do you know that 124?

Because the Jets brain trust selected him with a 2nd round pick, you think he will be the best kicker in the NFL.

He has yet to make one field goal in the NFL and you already have him being THE best kicker in the league.

Only delusional Jet fans. #-o

And exactly how do you know that 124?

Because the Jets brain trust selected him with a 2nd round pick, you think he will be the best kicker in the NFL.

He has yet to make one field goal in the NFL and you already have him being THE best kicker in the league.

Only delusional Jet fans. #-o

Not fair Tx. 124 has been saying how much he liked this kicker LONG BEFORE he was drafted by the Jets.

He has been consistent about Nugent. Time will tell if he is right or not. But at least he has conviction.

Not fair Tx. 124 has been saying how much he liked this kicker LONG BEFORE he was drafted by the Jets.

He has been consistent about Nugent. Time will tell if he is right or not. But at least he has conviction.

Max,

I agree, 124 has been a big supporter of Nugent.

No problem with that at all.

But to call him "the best kicker in the NFL" would be like me saying Mankins and Hobbs will be perennial Pro Bowl players. #-o

Let the guy make a few kicks in the NFL before sending him to Canton.

Take it from a Seminole, you do not want Xavier Beitia kicking field goals for you. The guy is Doug Brien, part deux, only s***ier and fatter. If he can't make an easy field goal twice against Miami, what makes you think he's gonna be able to hit a GW vs. NE or someone decent.

Xavier will be fine as a backup. Maybe for kickoffs. But keep him off the field come field goal time.

Archived