Hasty's Second Attempt at 2007 Jets Ofseason

James Hasty

While I think that Mangini's first season with the Jets exceeded expectations, I think that with a strong offseason this year that our team can go much further.

While there are some very flashy free agents this year (Freeney, Clements, Samuels, etc.), I think that there is a very strong class in this year's draft that can solve most of our problems. That being said, it is my belief that we should aggressively pursue (overpay) the following free agents:

Leonard Davis RT Arizona Cardinals 6'6" 365 lbs 28 Years Old

Terdell Sands DT Oakland Raiders 6'7" 335 lbs 27 Years Old

Ken Hamlin FS Seattle Seahawks 6'2" 209 lbs 26 Years Old (next week)

Eric Johnson TE San Francisco 49ers 6'3" 252 lbs 27 Years Old

I think that Jonathan Vilma is an outstanding linebacker that does not fit our system. As he is much better suited to a 4-3 scheme (that we will not be running), I believe that the Jets and Vilma would both be better off if we can trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 and could use a big upgrade at MLB. The best fits that I could find were Carolina, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. Aside from getting fair value for Vilma (a low first rounder), my other goals in a trade would be to get a high pick in next year's draft, move up in each round in day one of this year's draft, and to obtain a fourth round pick.

In round one, my priority is to get ahead of Dallas. Carolina with pick # 14 makes the most sense here. As their pick is a bit too high, I would include a third team (the Giants) to get better value at pick # 20. I think that the following trade is fair to all three teams and that the players drafted make all three teams more competative as well. I have included the players to be drafted by each team to help demonstrate the incentive for each team to make the trade.

Giants get pick # 14 (Panthers 1st Rounder) Marcus McCauley CB

Giants get pick # 89 (Jets 3rd Rounder) Tony Taylor LB

Giants give Pick # 20 (1st Rounder) to Jets Justin Blaylock OG / OT

Giants give pick # 84 (3rd Rounder) to Jets Matt Spaeth TE

Giants give pick # 116 (4th Rounder) to Jets Gary Russell RB

Panthers get Jonathan Vilma (Jets) Jonathan Vilma LB

Panthers get pick # 25 (Jets 1st Rounder) Troy Smith QB

Panthers get pick # 57 (Jets 2nd Rounder) Earl Everett LB

Panthers get Jets 2008 2nd Rounder ??? ???

Panthers give pick # 14 (1st Rounder) to Giants Marcus McCauley CB

Panthers give pick # 46 (2nd Rounder) to Jets Brandon Meriweather CB

Panthers give pick # 78 (3rd Rounder) to Jets Paul Williams WR

Panthers give 2008 1st Rounder to Jets ??? ???

Jets get pick # 20 (Giants 1st Rounder) Justin Blaylock OG / OT

Jets get pick # 46 (Panthers 2nd Rounder) Brandon Meriweather S / CB

Jets get pick # 78 (Panthers 3rd Rounder) Paul Williams WR

Jets get pick # 84 (Giants 3rd Rounder) Matt Spaeth TE

Jets get pick # 116 (Giants 4th Rounder) Gary Russell RB

Jets get Panthers 2008 1st Rounder ??? ???

Jets give Jonathan Vilma to Panthers Jonathan Vilma LB

Jets give Pick # 25 (1st Rounder) to Panthers Troy Smith QB

Jets give pick # 57 (2nd Rounder) to Panthers Earl Everett LB

Jets give pick # 89 (3rd Rounder) to Giants Tony Taylor LB

Jets give Jets 2008 2nd Rounder to Panthers ??? ???

Here are the first four rounds of the 2007 draft for the Jets (after the trade):

20 Justin Blalock OG Texas

36 Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame

46 Brandon Meriweather CB Miami (FL)

78 Paul Williams WR Fresno St.

84 Matt Spaeth TE Minnesota

116 Gary Russell RB Minnesota

By moving ahead of the Cowboys, the Jets are able to bolster their rushing attach by get a dominating guard that can also play tackle if necessary.

The Redskins 2nd rounder obtained last year gets the Jets the pass rushing linebacker they despertely need.

Swapping picks with the Panthers in round two allows the Jets to select a defensive back with first round talent (and some off the field problems).

Swapping picks with the Panthers in round three brings a big WR with speed.

The third and fourth round picks obtained from the Giants allow the Jets to add two Golden Gophers to improve our offense at the RB and TE positions.

The Giants are able to patch up their secondary with Marcus McCauley on the cheap (4th rounder and trade picks with the Jets in round 3).

The Carolina Panthers fill their two biggest needs at MLB and QB with Jonathan Vilma (pro bowler) and Troy Smith (Heisman winner). They also gain additional linebacking help with Earl Everett using the Jets second round pick. While they gave up thier third rounder and swapped a first rounder for a second rounder in 2008, they get to fill their needs (with outstanding players) without having to reach at pick # 14.

If the Jets acquire all four free agent targets and the draft happens as I have described, here is the bulk of our roster next year:

QB Chad Pennington / Kellen Clemens / Ramsey (or other)

RB Gary Russell / Leon Washington / Cederic Houston

FB BJ Askew / James Hodgkins / Stacey Tutt

TE Eric Johnson / Chris Baker / Matt Spaeth / Jame Dearth

WR Laverneous Coles / Jericho Cotchery / Brad Smith / Paul Williams / etc

LT D'Brickshaw Fergeson

LG Pete Kendall / Brandon Moore

C Nick Mangold

RG Justin Blaylock

RT Leonard Davis / Justin Blaylock

RDE Sean Ellis / Dave Ball

NT Terdell Sands / CJ Mosely / Sione Pouha

LDE Dwayne Robertson

LOLB Bryan Thomas

LILB Eric Barton

RILB Victor Hobson / Anthony Schlagel

ROLB Victor Abiamiri / Cody Spencer

LCB Andre Dyson / Hank Poteat / Drew Coleman

RCB Brandon Meriweather / Justin Miller

SS Kerry Rhodes / Rashad Washington

FS Ken Hamlin / Eric Coleman / Eric Smith

P Shane Graham

K Mike Nugent

Cuts

Justin McCarrens

Wade Smith

Adrian Jones

David Barrett

Bobby Hamilton

Kimo Von Olhofen

Derrick Blaylock

Kevan Barlow

What do you guys think?

Ok... I dont think it will ever happen. Great effort on your part.

But, using the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

the teams would break out like this...

Panthers:

14- 1100pts

46- 440pts

78- 200

08 1st rd- 425

A future year pick is worth 1 round less than this year, so the average of the 2nd round picks from 33-64 is 425pts since we have no clue where anyone will finish in 07.

So the Panthers total is 2165

Jets:

25- 720 pts

57- 330pts

89 145pts

08 2nd rd- 191

So the Jets total is 1386 for a difference of 779 pts.

779 pts is worth about the 22th pick

Giants:

20-850pts

84- 170pts

116- 62pts

Total of 1082pts.

Ok, now the Panthers are already OVER the salary cap for 2007 and Vilma's cap number is somewhere around 2.2 mil next year

http://www.wissearch.net/Jets/Default.aspx?Year=2007

they would have to rework a lot of contracts to get Vilma, but they do have a need at LB.

Plus I doubt the Jets would be able to get a 1st rounder for Vilma since he doesnt fit the system, which would lead people to devalue him.

Also, who is going to propose the trade? Jets? Panthers? Giants? It would be a steal for the Giants "points" wise. If the Jets propose it, Vilma will be downgraded and they will have to give up more. If the Panthers propose it, he may get 1st rd value and it may work.

Hasty -first a lot of time and effort when into this- congrats on that. If we ever trade Vilma I would not setlle for a low first round pick for him.

Getting a low first rounder for one of our stars an be a bitter pill to swallow. Just think back to last year before we knew how good Mangold was going to be and we still need a pass rusher.

The reason the trade looks so complicated is that I was trying to milk that low first rounder for all it is worth by getting a 2008 first rounder and positioning us to take full advantage of the talent in the draft. The Giants probably come out of this with too much but I don't see how the Jets or Panthers could really complain (much like Denver winning from the Abraham trade).

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok... I dont think it will ever happen. Great effort on your part.

But, using the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

the teams would break out like this...

Panthers:

14- 1100pts

46- 440pts

78- 200

08 1st rd- 425

A future year pick is worth 1 round less than this year, so the average of the 2nd round picks from 33-64 is 425pts since we have no clue where anyone will finish in 07.

So the Panthers total is 2165

Jets:

25- 720 pts

57- 330pts

89 145pts

08 2nd rd- 191

So the Jets total is 1386 for a difference of 779 pts.

779 pts is worth about the 22th pick

Giants:

20-850pts

84- 170pts

116- 62pts

Total of 1082pts.

Ok, now the Panthers are already OVER the salary cap for 2007 and Vilma's cap number is somewhere around 2.2 mil next year

http://www.wissearch.net/Jets/Default.aspx?Year=2007

they would have to rework a lot of contracts to get Vilma, but they do have a need at LB.

Plus I doubt the Jets would be able to get a 1st rounder for Vilma since he doesnt fit the system, which would lead people to devalue him.

Also, who is going to propose the trade? Jets? Panthers? Giants? It would be a steal for the Giants "points" wise. If the Jets propose it, Vilma will be downgraded and they will have to give up more. If the Panthers propose it, he may get 1st rd value and it may work.

I used a different chart but the points worked out pretty well. If not I think that I got it pretty close. Perhaps the Giants give the Panthers a player or 2008 pick to make it work. I really like the players that I found for my mock draft and trading an existing player for picks is risky but has a ton of upside.

I used a different chart but the points worked out pretty well. If not I think that I got it pretty close. Perhaps the Giants give the Panthers a player or 2008 pick to make it work. I really like the players that I found for my mock draft and trading an existing player for picks is risky but has a ton of upside.

On the Giants side, at first glance it looks like the Giants dont really improve until you view the "Chart".

I agree with you about trading players for picks... it is a huge risk, but one you must do if you want to stay competitive for a long time.

For the players you picked... I cant give any opinion since I dont follow college and dont really believe much of what the experts say until draft time... I will leave that up to others.

Hasty -first a lot of time and effort when into this- congrats on that. If we ever trade Vilma I would not setlle for a low first round pick for him.

Agreed.A low first rounder for Vilma is completely unacceptable.I believe Vilma is skilled enough to adapt to the 3-4 and I wouldn't trade him unless we get back a proven NFL player.

With Vilma's talent,I see no reason why he can't excel in the 3-4.

This is what a Canes' fan thinks when asked:

"Miami has traditionally ran a 4-3 (cover 2) defense for decades. However, if you need to know whether Vilma can play a 3-4 look at what Ed Reed and Ray Lewis are doing with the Ravens 3-4 D. Its the best defense in NFL. Miami produces NFL smart LB's. Vilma is not Ray Lewis but he is darn good. He's smart and studies hard. He could play whatever D scheme given. The LB position in 3-4 or 4-3 is all about positioning yourself to make a play. The LB position is the QB of the D. You cant just rely on your athletic skills you must foresee things and react. My answer is if you have Vilma on your team dont worry the other team will do that for you no matter scheme you play."

I agree wholeheartedly.

Vilma's cap number is somewhere around 2.2 mil next year

Vilma's cap number is higher with the Jets than with a team we'd trade him to. We gave Vilma a signing bonus. A team that trades for him does not (until they give him a new contract).

So if another team acquired Vilma, his cap # for a new team would be:

2007: $750K

2008: $1.1M

As such, Vilma's value is certainly higher than a low first-rounder. He's already been to a pro-bowl. The whole league is aware (or can rationalize) that the reason he didn't make it again is only b/c he's in the 3-4 where he's ill-suited.

A pro-bowl talent, locked up for under $2m CUMULATIVE over the next 2 seasons so there's no emergency in giving him an expensive extension? He's got PLENTY of value. If a team can't afford Vilma, then they certainly can't afford their own #14 pick.

Three of our biggest needs are RB, corner, and a pass rusher and there is nothing there that really helps either position.

Good job, great effort, but I'd be seriously pissed if our offseason turned out like that. Livid.

36 Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame pass rusher

46 Brandon Meriweather CB Miami (FL) corner

116 Gary Russell RB Minnesota running back

I filled all three needs with draft picks. Why would you be pissed?

36 Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame pass rusher

46 Brandon Meriweather CB Miami (FL) corner

116 Gary Russell RB Minnesota running back

I filled all three needs with draft picks. Why would you be pissed?

Can Abiamiri stand up and be a linebacker? 3-4 defensive ends are not pass rushers, the outside linebackers are.

Is Meriweather even a corner? I always thought he was a safety.

You would be pleased if the only RB we brought in was a fourth-round pick? I wouldn't. Our running game is far from good. We need to adress the problem much earlier than the second day of the draft.

We also have a ton of cap room, and use it to sign four "B" level free agents.

We drafted Justin Miller to be one of our corners -that has not worked out yet-I hesitate to take another guy there in the draft. Look to free agency to get a player there.

I think Justin Miller can still be our guy.He got a bad rap this year because of a couple BS penalties.He's had great position on a bunch of long passes.He's got the speed,one more year in the system he should be fine.

Archived