And the Jets starting RB next season should be....

Jetsfan80

Leon Washington.

Why do we ALWAYS seem to be looking outside the organization to find a running back? Every year it seems there's a big-name RB we want to trade up for. Trading up rarely works, certainly not for us, and I highly doubt Mangini and Tannenbaum are even considering doing so. I'd much rather get 3 quality players in the early rounds rather than try to go after an Adrian Peterson.

If we do take a RB, I feel that we should not have to trade up to do so, and it can wait until our last pick in the 2nd round or the 3rd round.

Otherwise, I like what Leon brings to the table. RB by committee seemed to work late last season, and as we improve the offensive line, it will improve even more.

For once, we don't NEED to have a 20+ carry RB on the roster to be successful. We can do just fine with what we have.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I haven't seen too many people writing that they wanted to trade up. A lot of Jets fans are torn between trading our first round for Turner which I am against by the way. I'm right on page with you though. Leon did a great job this year, but I would get another back around the 3rd or 4th round to compliant Leon. I would try and trade or release Blaylock and Barlow or Houston. I also would try out Askew at rb or trade/release him. The more I read about this Leonard kid, the more I like. I haven't seen him play so I'm just going on what I've read.

If you really think Leon Scatback Washington is a full-time starter who can take the beating and be a 20-30 carry a game back and still be as successful as he is than you are mistaken. I'm sure actually that he couldn't hold up healthy as I'm sure he'd get hurt. There is no way Leon Washington can be an every down starting running back in the NFL.

If you really think Leon Scatback Washington is a full-time starter who can take the beating and be a 20-30 carry a game back and still be as successful as he is than you are mistaken. I'm sure actually that he couldn't hold up healthy as I'm sure he'd get hurt. There is no way Leon Washington can be an every down starting running back in the NFL.

Agreed.

Actually I haven't seen too many people writing that they wanted to trade up. A lot of Jets fans are torn between trading our first round for Turner which I am against by the way. I'm right on page with you though. Leon did a great job this year, but I would get another back around the 3rd or 4th round to compliant Leon. I would try and trade or release Blaylock and Barlow or Houston. I also would try out Askew at rb or trade/release him. The more I read about this Leonard kid, the more I like. I haven't seen him play so I'm just going on what I've read.

You want to trade or release three out of five of our backs? How about we let Barlow come to camp and see if he sucks again first? See if Houston can stay healthy. Even if we get other backs, we need bodies in camp because some will get hurt and some guys you think are good just won't be good next year.

You want to trade or release three out of five of our backs? How about we let Barlow come to camp and see if he sucks again first? See if Houston can stay healthy. Even if we get other backs, we need bodies in camp because some will get hurt and some guys you think are good just won't be good next year.

I agree. RB is the most plug & play position. It's the last position we should be offering up multiple first/second round draft picks for, or trading LB's with high first-round value for an injury-prone RB who's about to get traded by his 2nd team in >4 years.

I'm more interested in getting top talent at RG/RT.

Leon Washington.

Why do we ALWAYS seem to be looking outside the organization to find a running back? Every year it seems there's a big-name RB we want to trade up for. Trading up rarely works, certainly not for us, and I highly doubt Mangini and Tannenbaum are even considering doing so. I'd much rather get 3 quality players in the early rounds rather than try to go after an Adrian Peterson.

If we do take a RB, I feel that we should not have to trade up to do so, and it can wait until our last pick in the 2nd round or the 3rd round.

Otherwise, I like what Leon brings to the table. RB by committee seemed to work late last season, and as we improve the offensive line, it will improve even more.

For once, we don't NEED to have a 20+ carry RB on the roster to be successful. We can do just fine with what we have.

How anybody could watch these playoff games featuring guys like LT and Shaun Alexander and think we are "fine" at RB is beyond me.

if you could read...

you would know that the earlier thread said they can SPLIT carries with washington and whoever else.

You're sure he'd get hurt? Please forward your message to:

Curtis Martin

Warrik Dunn

Marshal Faulk

Barry Sanders

Gale Sayers

Reggie Bush

Clearly they are all to small to play in the NFL.

if you could read...

you would know that the earlier thread said they can SPLIT carries with washington and whoever else.

Curtis Martin

Warrik Dunn

Marshal Faulk

Barry Sanders

Gale Sayers

Reggie Bush

No kidding. 124 has been all over Martin's jock any opportunity, as though he was the prototypical halfback. Yet for most of his career Martin was 205 lbs at 5'11. Leon was 203 lbs at 5'8 on draft day before a single NFL strength/conditioning program, yet that makes him too small to ever take a beating that a comparatively lankier RB (with a history of injury in college) had no problem doing.

How anybody could watch these playoff games featuring guys like LT and Shaun Alexander and think we are "fine" at RB is beyond me.

Cause the teams sill alive ALL feature a huge RB.

t. jones-c. benson

k faulk-c-dillon-d-williams

j-addai-d-rhodes

r-bush-d-mcallister

seems to me they all go by commitee. Weird.

Cause the teams sill alive ALL feature a huge RB.

t. jones-c. benson

k faulk-c-dillon-d-williams

j-addai-d-rhodes

r-bush-d-mcallister

seems to me they all go by commitee. Weird.

everyone on that list is better than anyone we have.I don't get your point.My point is we NEED to bring in a running back to split time with Leon.Thank you for supporting that.

If i did say that all the teams still alive have HUGE running backs I take it back.Only thing is,I didn't

if you could read...

Curtis Martin

Warrik Dunn

Marshal Faulk

Barry Sanders

Gale Sayers

Reggie Bush

If Leon Washington showed me enough to make me compare him to Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers, I would not be worried about the running back position whatsoever. He didn't do that, though.

Reggie Bush might be a better comparison, since I don't think either will ever be a 20-carry a game back.

everyone on that list is better than anyone we have.I don't get your point.My point is we NEED to bring in a running back to split time with Leon.Thank you for supporting that.

Everyone? Rhodes and Addai are products of the system, Washington is better than both. Benson? I won't pass judgement yet, he seems pretty good if I had to. Faulk is not better than washington, and dillon might be this year, but he's 33? 32?

My point is, i am more than happy with washington, and with houston on the goal line, there shouldn't be a problem.

I realize you would like to have LT, not going to happen. It is more important to get a RT, or a RG than it is to get another mediocre Back. After all, that is all that is/will be available.

If Leon Washington showed me enough to make me compare him to Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers, I would not be worried about the running back position whatsoever. He didn't do that, though.

Reggie Bush might be a better comparison, since I don't think either will ever be a 20-carry a game back.

Reggie would have been if Deuce didnt come back right from his injury...

Lets just hope Curtis lives up to what he said and hangs around to continue helping LEON get better, you know he had a big part in that this year...

Leon is the Terry Metcalf of his generation, maybe he can carry the ball 20+ time in a couple of games a season when he is just rippiing it up, but he is not an every down back. Even the best back ont he draft this year, Reggie Bush, willnot be counted on to carry the ball 20+ times.

Even the best back ont he draft this year, Reggie Bush, willnot be counted on to carry the ball 20+ times.

Show me the article where Sean Payton or the Saints GM says this, otherwise it is purely speculation. For all you know Payton might want to give him the ball 25+ times a game in a couple years when Deuce slows down...

Why was Curtis able to but Leon not. Leon is far beefier than Curtis was. And as rookies, he outweighed Leon by 2 lbs despite a 3" height advantage. If there was a history of him breaking down as the season wore on, then I'd agree. Leon seemed pretty sturdy. In his prime, behind this OL, Curtis would've had 3.5-3.8ypc at best, getting stuffed on short yardage, yet everyone longs for the good ol' days with him in there.

I just think all this talk of a 20-25 carry RB is overblown b/c it doesn't seem to be what Mangini or B.Schott wants to do anyway (absent some rare talent becoming available to us without sacrificing 3 other positions).

Why was Curtis able to but Leon not. Leon is far beefier than Curtis was. And as rookies, he outweighed Leon by 2 lbs despite a 3" height advantage. If there was a history of him breaking down as the season wore on, then I'd agree. Leon seemed pretty sturdy. In his prime, behind this OL, Curtis would've had 3.5-3.8ypc at best, getting stuffed on short yardage, yet everyone longs for the good ol' days with him in there.

I just think all this talk of a 20-25 carry RB is overblown b/c it doesn't seem to be what Mangini or B.Schott wants to do anyway (absent some rare talent becoming available to us without sacrificing 3 other positions).

clap.gif

Leon has the physical and athletic ability to be better than Curtis, sure that will get you killed on a JETS board.. but c'mon guys... Leon did more with the O-line he had this year than curtis could have done...

I think Leon could be very good in a year or two after learning the game and gaining more experience. We should use the early draft picks maybe on an offensive lineman. Leon is capable of starting. Maybe we should get another RB in the 3rd or 4th round and they can share carries

Reggie would have been if Deuce didnt come back right from his injury...

Lets just hope Curtis lives up to what he said and hangs around to continue helping LEON get better, you know he had a big part in that this year...

Reggie Bush will never be THAT guy that carries the ball 20 times a game. If he is, then he will break down.

clap.gif

Leon has the physical and athletic ability to be better than Curtis, sure that will get you killed on a JETS board.. but c'mon guys... Leon did more with the O-line he had this year than curtis could have done...

One would think that Jets fans actually watched him run. He averaged 4.0ypc behind mostly above-average OL's. Behind a line with a skinny has-been, 2 rookies, and 2 backups? Leon did more than fine.

I will agree that we could use a short-yardage back to complement Leon, but I don't think that we need to spend a 1st-rounder (or trade our 1st & then-some) to trade up with the hopes that some draftee will turn into Shaun Alexander. And who's to say that a healthy Barlow can't be that player?

Get used to the idea, because it's more likely than not.

If someone like Lynch is somehow there for us, fine - take him. But I'd rather build up the line. "Unsexy" as the pick may be, it makes the team much more injury-proof (not to mention protecting the QB better).

At #26 or wherever it is we pick exactly, I'd be plenty happy with Carriker, Levi, or Blalock.

Leon can't run the bread and butter plays that a running back needs to do.Pretty much all Too many of Leons yards came off of gimmicky plays;draws,misdirections and counters,and you can't build a run game with 20+ of those play calls.When it comes to slams and dives between the tackles Leon often got stopped for little gain,he is a great third down back and a playmaker,but you need someone who can pick up solid yardage on the bread and butter runs.

I agree that we should worry about other things before RB. I'm a big fan of value. All this we have to trade up or draft Bush or whoever is a sure-fire way to get fleeced. That being said, I'm not sold on Leon as an every down back. Seems like he gets caught for a loss a lot and the standard running plays are not so hot. I was actually more comfortble with Houston back there, but Leon will be in the league longer, because he does what he does better.

I agree that we should worry about other things before RB. I'm a big fan of value. All this we have to trade up or draft Bush or whoever is a sure-fire way to get fleeced. That being said, I'm not sold on Leon as an every down back. Seems like he gets caught for a loss a lot and the standard running plays are not so hot. I was actually more comfortble with Houston back there, but Leon will be in the league longer, because he does what he does better.

Fair enough. And I agree on the "if only we trade up for player 'x' then all our problems on offense are solved" stuff being a crock of garbage.

Put a decent RB behind a great line with a great blocking FB & he can be great himself. As an added bonus the QB has plenty of time on passing plays.

I think Leon is a bit small for an every-carry type of RB, but that's not what Tannenbaum or Mangini (allegedly) has in mind for the Jets. I do think he can be half of a potentially dangerous tandem. Who the other player will be, I don't know. But I hate losing draft picks. Especially when every team is getting tons of cap room & the types of FA's we crave may just get re-signed by their current teams. This leaves the draft to build a team with, and trading away high picks is a little too all-our-eggs-in-1-basket for my taste.

Leon rushed for 100 yards in two out of the three games and then failed to get 60 yards in a game for the rest of the regular season. If he is our future running back, then why did Cedric Houston turn into our primary ball carrier whenever he got back?

Leon will be a great change of pace/3rd down back. But he will never work as our primary ballcarrier. If he does, then he will have to get a lot better than he was this year.

Leon rushed for 100 yards in two out of the three games and then failed to get 60 yards in a game for the rest of the regular season. If he is our future running back, then why did Cedric Houston turn into our primary ball carrier whenever he got back?

Leon will be a great change of pace/3rd down back. But he will never work as our primary ballcarrier. If he does, then he will have to get a lot better than he was this year.

O God of Thunder, behind the 2006 OL and Chad's girlie-arm you can count the RB's who could consistently put up 100 rushing yards per game on maybe 3 fingers.

I'm not saying Leon is THE answer, but that would be like pointing to Tomlinson's rookie season & then saying he was a drafted-too-high, workout-warrior, hype-monster.

Absent a talent like LT or Alexander or LJ, our coaches like swapping RB's in & out based on the opponent, as some running styles may be better-suited to different opponents. It's a refreshing change.

I think Leon is a bit small for an every-carry type of RB, but that's not what Tannenbaum or Mangini (allegedly) has in mind for the Jets. I do think he can be half of a potentially dangerous tandem.

I'm not exactly sure of what they have in mind for the offense in general. I think that's a good thing. Still, I'm not sure if all the smoke and mirrors was because they like smoke and mirrors or to mask the defects. That's why a guy like Leonard could fit perfectly into their plans. He also might not fit at all. I'll leave it up to them.

Comparing the skills of those two, to leon is like comparing Ted Williams to Mike Gaellego. I was comparing size. and by size, they are comparable. A lot of small backs can make it in this league, its just not as important as people tend to build.

O God of Thunder, behind the 2006 OL and Chad's girlie-arm you can count the RB's who could consistently put up 100 rushing yards per game on maybe 3 fingers.

I'm not saying Leon is THE answer, but that would be like pointing to Tomlinson's rookie season & then saying he was a drafted-too-high, workout-warrior, hype-monster.

Absent a talent like LT or Alexander or LJ, our coaches like swapping RB's in & out based on the opponent, as some running styles may be better-suited to different opponents. It's a refreshing change.

LT was a beast in college. Nothing workout warrior-like there.

The bottom line is that we don't know what Leon can do. ****ty offensive line and lady-armed QB be damned. My point is that it's not very wise to assume Leon can be the man whenever he has never carried the ball 20 times in multiple games, is under-sized, and had injury problems in college. Read into it what you will, but when Houston came back, Leon's role was minimized. Is that because Mangini felt he would wear down if he kept getting a nearly full load? Is it because Leon failed to impress the coaching staff enough?

I think if Mangini thought Leon was the future at running back, then he wouldn't have been relegated to an afterthought midway through the season.

LT only had a 3.6 YPC his rookie season... that would be 544 yards with 151 carries (carries Leon had this year)

While if Leon had 339 carries (what LT had his rookie year) he would have had 1,458 yards this season at his 4.3 YPC pace...

Im not saying Leon is anything near LT right now, but to discredit his ability to be a starter based on his rookie year with limited carries and a medicore O line is not right.

Archived