Best LB on the Jets=Barton

vinnys025

For three reasons:

1-He doesn't consistently miss the holes like Hobson does.

2-He isn't undersized like Vilma and doesn't get pushed around nearly as much.

3-He really fits the Mangini type of LB. He hits hard and will always try to punish RB's or whoever else he's engaged with. He can rush the passer and is descent in coverage.

Call me crazy, but after watching all the LB's this season, this is my observation. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. Discuss.

Barton is under-rated. We never talk about him anymore.

However, I think Bryan Thomas was our best linebacker this year. And should be in years to come. I'm very excited to see what he'll do in his second year in the system, particularly if we stick a beast like Adalius Thomas on the other side of him.

You guys do make a good argument with Bryan Thomas, however I still did consider him a DE. If you bring him into the mix, then yes I agree that he is the best LB on the team. He just played DE for most of the snaps from what I could see.

Bryan Thomas was our best LB this year.

Not only did he lead the team in sacks, but he also lead them in pressures as well and was a beast against the run.

I'd rank Thomas and Hobson ahead of Barton.

Hobson was consistanty out of position, and he was a major reason why big runs were there for the picking. Our Dline had something to do with this as well, but if you go back and watch the games, keep an eye on 54 and you will see what i'm talking about.

I have been saying this most of the year that Barton had a very good year. He is well suited for this defense. I think next year will be a better barometer of who is doing what after a year of learning the D. Vilma is the one that most concerns me out of all of them.

Hobson was consistanty out of position, and he was a major reason why big runs were there for the picking. Our Dline had something to do with this as well, but if you go back and watch the games, keep an eye on 54 and you will see what i'm talking about.

Word. Hobson sucks. The only time he gets to the QB is when nobody picks him up on a blitz. He's horrible at shedding blockers. He might be better taking them on as an ILB in the 3-4, than trying to rush the passer as an OLB.

Barton was ok this year. But Thomas was way better.

From a non-Jets fan view I would say Thomas.

Vilma was man handled way too many times this year by olineman and Barton is more of a run stuffer.

My favourite Jets LB is Kassell :P

Mangini will either cut him or put him back on special teams for good.

Barton played well, but Sutton/ Mangini's decision to rotate him with Kassell -- who I dont think played as well as the coaches think he practices -- must mean something. His durability or his ability have to be questioned. Or, maybe he just isnt a Mangini guy.

I think Barton really came on and picked it up in the running game the last half of the season. He was very effective against the run from about game 9 in.

However, eventhough he isnt old, he is the oldest Jet LB (I'm not counting Chatham) and I'm pretty sure next year is the last on his contract. Because he will be looking to negotiate his third NFL contract I think he is going to expect more money than the Jets are willing to pay. Plus, he is one of the higher paid Jets right now.

If the Jets can get something for him I think they will trade him, if not they may let him go, and try Kassell or Schlegel in that spot.

If he has trade value its probably about as high as its going to get right now.

Personally, I thought Thomas had the best season of the LBs. Actually, Hobson did seem to be in teh wrong spot at times, and Vilma was always being hit by an interior lineman. Barton was OK, but he seemed to play less as the season wound down.

We could use a big, strong pass rusher on the opposite side of Thomas. Then, let's see the LBs play next year.

Hobson made some good progree this year. He was horrible early, but picked up the scheme as the year went along. Barton has good speed and is a pretty sure handed tackler, no way i would let him go. Kassell and Schlegel are horrible, I would cut both of them tomorrow. They are nothing more than special teamers and were on the field way too much this year.

You guys do make a good argument with Bryan Thomas, however I still did consider him a DE. If you bring him into the mix, then yes I agree that he is the best LB on the team. He just played DE for most of the snaps from what I could see.

:confused::confused:

Maybe your getting confused when the OLB lines up to the side of our DE??? We alomst always had DE/NT/DE & Bryan Thomas in the game playing OLB... A lot of the time in the 3-4 OLBs play up close to the line, doesnt mean they are a DE...

:confused::confused:

Maybe your getting confused when the OLB lines up to the side of our DE??? We alomst always had DE/NT/DE & Bryan Thomas in the game playing OLB... A lot of the time in the 3-4 OLBs play up close to the line, doesnt mean they are a DE...

I just have to get it through my head that Thomas is a LB and a DE now......

Archived