UT's Offseason Plan

Untouchable

Mock Draft

1st round: OLB LaMarr Woodley - Michigan

Woodley is the perfect fit for this defense. The Jets had problems this season providing a passrush (just look at the New England widcard game). LaMarr has excellent size at 6'2 270 and plays with a mean streak like no other. He's a very good passrusher and an even better run stuffer. He's a Mangini player through and through and would sure up our defense against the run and pass.

2nd round: *Traded to San Diego for RB Michael Turner*

Most of us know how talented Turner is. Mangini and Tannenbaum will refuse to give up our 1st round pick, but offer the Chargers the 36th overall pick to get the deal done. It's a great compromise IMO and should seal the deal to bring Michael Turner to the Green & White.

2nd round: OG Josh Beekman - Boston College

Is a tough, hardworker who is totally commited to the game of football. He's an excellent OG who doesn't do anything great but does everything well. The only knock on this kid is his height but his intangibles and will to improve everyday will help him overcome that.

3rd round: DE Ryan McBean - Oklahoma St.

Coming from the Parcells/Belichick tree of coaching, Mangini knows how important depth on the D-line can be. McBean projects well as a 3-4 DE. He has a good motor and is very active on the field. This is a very safe pick in round 3. McBean will be a player in this league. Worst case scenario is he adds quality depth to the D-line. Best case scenario is he develops into a starter for years to come.

5th round: WR Jordan Kent - Oregon

Kent has terrific size at 6'5 210 and commands respect in the redzone. He would give us a solid #4 receiver who can help stretch the field. He hasn't gotten many oppurtunities at Oregon, but when he has gotten the ball in his hands, it's usually gone for a big gain.

6th round: NT Stanley Doughty - South Carolina

I've had us selecting Doughty in the last few mock's I've posted. There aren't any elite 3-4 NT prospects in this draft but IMO Stanley is a late round project who could turn out to be a solid player in the future. He has the prototypical size at 6'1 335 and can clog the middle with authority.

Free Agent Signings:

DE Terdell Sands

A lot of Jets fans are intrigued by Sands and I happen to be one of them. He shined last season for the Raiders in limited action. He has absolute perfect size for a 3-4 DE at 6'7 330 and would instantly help improve our run defense. He's a young player with a lot of potential and is one of the bigger sleepers hitting the FA market.

CB Nick Harper

The marque free agent corners like Samuel and Clements are going to want top dollar so Mangini goes after a cheaper solution. Harper is a very solid CB who accels at man coverage and playing the run. Though the Colts defense as a whole was putrid throughout the regular season, Harper still played well.

TE Daniel Graham

Besides Chris Baker, the Jets have nothing at the TE position. Sean Ryan is nothing more than a blocking H-back so the Jets add some more depth and a player that can give Baker a run for his money at the starting position.

OT Floyd "Porkchop" Womack

Womack would be a cheap, solid signing to push Anthony Clement for the starting RT job. He has had a few injury problems the past two year but nothing really serious.

Re-Signings:

DE Dave Ball

OG Wade Smith

OT Anthony Clement

CB Hank Poteat

WR Jerricho Cotchery (extension)

Cuts:

LB Brad Kassel

RB Derrick Blaylock

RB Kevan Barlow

WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

FB B.J. Askew

LB Eric Barton

Projected 2007 Starting Lineup:

QB Chad Pennington

RB Michael Turner

FB Stacy Tutt

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker/Daniel Graham

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Pete Kendall

C Nick Mangold

RG Josh Beekman

RT Anthony Clement

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Dewayne Robertson

DE Terdell Sands

OLB Bryan Thomas

ILB Jonathan Vilma

ILB Victor Hobson

OLB LaMarr Woodley

CB Nick Harper

CB Andre Dyson

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Eric Smith

Great draft and I would be OK with a 2nd rounder for Turner. Solid FA pickups. I kinda don't see them getting a big name guy either.

Not a bad offseason, I wouldn't complain.

EDIT: My bad I missed the part about cutting Barton. That's the only problem I have with your offseason. I think he played solid this season and we could use him next year.

Mock Draft

1st round: OLB LaMarr Woodley - Michigan

Woodley is the perfect fit for this defense. The Jets had problems this season providing a passrush (just look at the New England widcard game). LaMarr has excellent size at 6'2 270 and plays with a mean streak like no other. He's a very good passrusher and an even better run stuffer. He's a Mangini player through and through and would sure up our defense against the run and pass.

Free Agent Signings:

DE Terdell Sands

A lot of Jets fans are intrigued by Sands and I happen to be one of them. He shined last season for the Raiders in limited action. He has absolute perfect size for a 3-4 DE at 6'7 330 and would instantly help improve our run defense. He's a young player with a lot of potential and is one of the bigger sleepers hitting the FA market.

OT Floyd "Porkchop" Womack

Womack would be a cheap, solid signing to push Anthony Clement for the starting RT job. He has had a few injury problems the past two year but nothing really serious.

I can live with that.

PS Who the hell names their kid Terdell? :lol:

Some pretty good ideas here....I would not cut Barton as I think he is one of the only lbers on this team that fits the defense. I would move Robertson to an end position and would try to get Vilma at an outside spot as well as he is useless in the middle. In addition not sold on Eric Smith at SS and would hope the Jets would pick up a free agent to give him plenty of competition. I do not think the Graham signing is all that necessary as I think Baker and Ryan were fine. I think the lack of a running game hindered the TE development.

Some pretty good ideas here....I would not cut Barton as I think he is one of the only lbers on this team that fits the defense. I would move Robertson to an end position and would try to get Vilma at an outside spot as well as he is useless in the middle. In addition not sold on Eric Smith at SS and would hope the Jets would pick up a free agent to give him plenty of competition. I do not think the Graham signing is all that necessary as I think Baker and Ryan were fine. I think the lack of a running game hindered the TE development.

Cutting Barton would save us almost $1 million in cap savings which is why I would make the move. He wasn't much of an impact player. Solid, but nothing great.

If you think Vilma got pushed around in the middle, you'd be begging for him to be benched after seeing him play on the outside. Prototypical 3-4 OLB's are usually converted 4-3 DE's and weigh in the 255-270 range, Vilma is 230 soaking wet.

I like Eric Smith at SS. Coleman has been below average ever since his surprising rookie season. He makes way too many mental mistakes and has lost his luster against the run. Smith showed flashes later in the season and I would like to see what he can do in a fulltime gig.

Baker is a very solid TE, but Sean Ryan is nothing more than a good blocking H-back. We could definately use more help at the TE position. Graham is one of the better blocking TE's in the league and is an underrated receiver. He'd be a solid pickup if you ask me.

Very well thought out UT. Good job. I won't comment on the draft because that is anyone's guess. Two thoughts though:

1. If they replace someone on the right side on the OLine it is not going to be Moore. IMO there is a reason that Clement is the only starter from last year that isn't already signed.

2. I don't think Barton gets cut. They can definitely upgrade there but I think they are going to make a splash with a free agent corner and live with the LBers they have for the most part.

3. Yeah, I said two but I have three -- anyhow at the year end press conference Tannenbaum's comments about DROB really got me thinking that they would be playing him at end. YES -- I know they have to get a better NT in order to move him. But they went out of his way to mention his versatility. I really think they find a way to get this done. Can't say who or how -- but they make more money than me -- so I will leave it up to them to figure it out!

I think Barton is much better suited than Vilma and made more plays than Vilma. In addition not sure what everyone has seen in Smith to give him the starting job, his speed and quickness concern me. Is he smart yes, but he needs to be able to cover.

good to see you back UT-I was asking Bill Parcells what your thoughts were gonna be on the draft since you and me were on board with the idea of D'Brick last year.

I would like to see us make a play for FA Pats LBer Tully Banta-Cain-AND.....I think we have enough $$$$ to get either Samuel or Clement at CB-that would give us two shutdown corners.It's real important to have guys that can CATCH a football at CB-both of those guys can.

Your LBer 1st round pick interests me-I say we definitely need to upgrade over the Barton/Chatham/Kassel platoon

I love it minus the release of Eric Barton as that comes to shock me but I do like moving Hobson inside as he probably could do even better as an ILB. Woodley was a stud at Michigan and if we were to keep Vilma inside and release Barton then yeah I could see that pick happening. Getting Turner for a 2nd rounder would be great, lets see if it happens. I don't know about Clement start again, I think Womack would beat him out.

Mock Draft

2nd round: *Traded to San Diego for RB Michael Turner*

Most of us know how talented Turner is. Mangini and Tannenbaum will refuse to give up our 1st round pick, but offer the Chargers the 36th overall pick to get the deal done. It's a great compromise IMO and should seal the deal to bring Michael Turner to the Green & White.

Good post but it's going to cost at least a first for Turner. And I don't think Woodley will be on the board when we pick.

UT good job. Lots of thought. And lots of thought as to what actually might happen in reality (as opposed to the "Let's trade all of our picks for Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson" and such idiocy that Mangini/Tannenbaum would never, ever do.)

Good call on Sands for end. I think he'd help DRob at NT more than sticking him at NT would help DRob at end.

Also I'd disagree on releasing Barton for the reasons outlined above. Yeah, we'd save a couple of bucks, but the reality is that with the plan you've outlined we'd still be like $25M under the cap. What's the point of releasing Barton in the final year of his contract to save a paltry $1M?

I'd also prefer a little better FA than Womack for the OL. I don't like pissing away cap room, but you also don't get brownie points for staying $20-30M under while you're supposedly re-tooling the team. Particularly when you're seeking long-term solutions on the OL.

But this is a really good plan & I'd be on board with it if it played out this way.

Archived