NCAA | Samardzija to pursue MLB career, skip NFL Draft

Smizzy

Really risky move. Football for him is a safer bet, he would have been a 1st day pick, and actually played on sundays. The odds are against him to make it in baseball.

Barton, he'll make it to the Cubs.....But will he make it to stay?

All the former baseball/football prodigy's got ther 15 minutes of Major League Fame -- Booty, Hutchinson, Henson, Dozier, ect....

You see, teams realize these players 2 sport stars may start to "waffle" and they go out of their way to placate them -- so they don't jump back to football....They become glorified batboys.

This could be the biggest bonehead move since Henson, who some thought would vie with Michael Vick as the possible first pick in the draft a while back ....now he's hoping to get look in the Arean League :Nuts:

Jeff's one very short step away from the NFL and he's willing to play baseball, where he's like FIVE HUGE steps away from the majors!

BTY, can you imagine if Dwayne Jarrett or Sidney Rice had a 4. - something or 5.00 ERA in a crap baseball Conference and decided to skip the N.F.L. for rookie league baseball?

Think the media and fans would be praising their choice so readily or would they be called out as fools?

P.S: Even if Jeff was no better than Joe Jurevicius in his N.F.L. career, he would probably exceed that guareenteed $7 mill (or whatever) from the Cubs.

NJ, Troll.

This year's already more interesting for me than all of last year was.

No S***!!!

Let's win some games and have some fun.

Go Cubs!!

It's gonna be fun to not lose 90 games.

Haven't been this excited for the season in a few years.

He played in 2006.....I'm not even sure he played "real A-ball" last season with the Cubs....He played some form of Rookie League ball**, where you send you're worst (politically correct term is less experienced) college players and just turned 18 year old high school draft picks for about 5 weeks over the summer.

** http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/ (go waaaay down on the page to find Boise!)

The Cubs have Boise listed as one of their 3 A league teams and and also list their rookie team in Mesa.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/minorleagues/team_index.jsp?c_id=chc

He then went to A ball in Peoria with the Chiefs and tossed 11 innings.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jeff%20Samardzija&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502188

But thats not the point or discussion. If he can get his control refined and hide his pitches better - his frame, athleticism, and 98 MPH give him a pretty decent shot at making the full $10MM with options out to $16.5MM for 7 years. If he makes the bigs and does even ok you can double or triple those numbers as is evidenced daily by double digit $MM contracts being handed out to career 4+ point ERA's.

If he's a starter in the NFL with decent numbers, but not a pro bowler - is he going to make that kind of money?

Bottom line it sounds like he really loves playing baseball and even offered to give back his $2.5MM signing bonus if he leave to play any other sport.

Should i remind everyone how a pitcher is always a risk- look at Cubs and their situation now with Prior- what if he blows out his arm-what will he do?

Don't have to remind me, faba. As always, you make a great point.

Faba, I remember back in the summer of 1990 the Oakland A's -- who were a World Series contenders then -- had 4 first round picks -- drafted 4 pitchers and paid big money for them. The huge name was Todd Von Poppel, but the other 3 were seen as sure fire MLB pitchers, too...None became legit MLB players, Not one!

Back in 1997 (or so) Scott Boras found so bogus loophole in the draft and got three of high high school pitchers/1st rounders declared free agents -- Matt White, Bobby Seay and ??? Patterson...

All where better than than Jeff and got monster deals, but none have made the Majors as real pitchers :Nuts:

Matt White broke the bank so big, he was on Good Morning American talking about his sudden riches.

Billy Beane of the A's is widely regarded as one the brightest minds in the sport....Oakland should be perenial losers (i.e. Pitts, Milw, T.Bay, ect.), but it's his genius that keep them competitive every season.

Beane would never touch Samarzijda at that money, nor draft a pitcher that high...too risky...:banned:

His idea is to draft a bunch of "live arms" from rounds 2 to 15 (or whatever) and hope a few make it -- Zito, Harden, ect have...

I'm at a serious loss why so many think this was a "no-brainer" for the Shark ....He was on the brink of being a potential first round pick in football, and he's going to play rookie ball?

Should i remind everyone how a pitcher is always a risk- look at Cubs and their situation now with Prior- what if he blows out his arm-what will he do?

Sure, and may I remind you that baseball contracts are guaranteed? He would never had signed a contract like that in the NFL, maybe a 2-4 mill SB and 500K a year if he's really lucky. If he plays like a superstar then he'll finally hit the bigger bucks, but it probably wasn't likely to happen. He made the right decision monetarily speaking, and i baseball is his favorite of the 2 games then he also made the right decision for his own personal reason as well.

If he so much as just makes it as a situational pitcher in the big leagues he'll make twice the money he ever would have made in football.

If he's a starter in the NFL with decent numbers, but not a pro bowler - is he going to make that kind of money?

Yea.....N.J., here's some evidence:

[Last Spring] wide receiver Joe Jurevicius and Cleveland agreed on a four-year deal worth about $10 million.

J.J., by the way, was 32 at the time and I'll guareentee you this: He didn't play for free in the N.F.L. for his first 9 seasons....J.J.'s contract may not be fully guareented, but if plays next season (and he's expected to start) he'll have put most of that money in the bank....

Here's the deal: Most of these 2-sport types fail because they panic.....and their pride gets hurt.

I can remember, as a young kid, just when I first started knowing what sports where about, B.Y.U. hoops mega-star Danny Ainge left b-ball to play baseball for the Blue Jays...

Depsite the fact that Ainge was a much better guard than third baseman, the the media clapped like seals when he left basketball and Ainge vowed he'd "never touch a basketball again"...After all, guards from B.Y.U. don't play and excel in the NBA, but they can play for the Blue Jays.

After one or 2 seasons of struggling at the Major League level, he changed his mind and bailed....He started for several Celtics championship teams and played in the NBA until he was at least 35.....then became a coach...then became a terrible G.M.

Lets see how the Shark feels, if he starts pitching like a Big East pitcher with a 4.33 ERA (which he was in 2006) in high A or AA ball, while his buddies are on National TV every weekend.

Cubs fans should HATE this deal.....I think Hendry would've been better off using that money to sign about 10 to 15 very strong armed mid round pitching prospects in the next few drafts.

Next time the Colts lose a good high school prospect over $100 in signing bonus money (or less) remember they handed one Big East pitcher "with potential" $10 million, because he could run fast and catch a football :bag:

• 4 months later...

I still stand by my words: This was a terrible choice by the Shark, who is currently 0-5, with a sky-high ERA in the minors. Worse yet, this "power pitcher" can't strike out the opposing ball boys.

http://www.daytonacubs.com/box/2007/06/01/breafa-dbcafa-1.html

Potential #1 picks don't leave their top sports to be scrubs in the minors in another sport. Jeff was never drafted out of high school (50 rounds!), so I never bought this B.S. that he was a "elite pitching prospect". He became a "hot-prospect" at the same time he shattered N.D.'s receiving records....Also, he was "okay" in the Big East Conference [4.34 era as a senior], which isn't great for several reasons (like it's still 25 degrees in April around here).

Shark is still still young and things CAN change, but if he continues to struggle, expect him to come to his senses and start doubting his choice. Once that happens, he's cooked in baseball!

R44 makes a valid point-when you are used to being in the spotlight and a face in the crowd how are you going to deal with bus rides to Peoria and Des Moines,etc.?

maybe but I gotta think he's given this some thought & feels he doesn't need the pressure of the limelight.

db's hit pretty hard in the pro's these days & while the nfl all but gives the q'backs a flag for the d to pull out instead of tackling, i'm surprised more wr's don't get carried off the field on stretchers.

I still stand by my words: This was a terrible choice by the Shark, who is currently 0-5, with a sky-high ERA in the minors. Worse yet, this "power pitcher" can't strike out the opposing ball boys.

Potential #1 picks don't leave their top sports to be scrubs in the minors in another sport. Jeff was never drafted out of high school (50 rounds!), so I never bought this B.S. that he was a "elite pitching prospect". He became a "hot-prospect" at the same time he shattered N.D.'s receiving records....Also, he was "okay" in the Big East Conference [4.34 era as a senior], which isn't great for several reasons (like it's still 25 degrees in April around here).

Shark is still still young and things CAN change, but if he continues to struggle, expect him to come to his senses and start doubting his choice. Once that happens, he's cooked in baseball!

Oh boohoo, he'll still be 10m richer. he made the right choice.

Oh boohoo, he'll still be 10m richer. he made the right choice.

Yea, I guess first round (or early 2nd round) picks in the N.F.L. get $1,000 signing bonuses and play or $15 a week. It's 1949, right? :yawn:

P.S: Joe Willy. DB's do hit hard, but even playing baseball is no guarantee of health -- Look at Kerry Wood & Mark Prior.

no, but whoever had the last pick should have. Is the last pick really worth anything? Sure, every pick counts, but more talent will be in UDFA because they had attitude problems, when someone in the 7th round will be taken because he was a character player or something like that. At least if you took a gamble on Samardzija, the potentail outcome is a hell of a lot higher.

Yea, I guess first round (or early 2nd round) picks in the N.F.L. get $1,000 signing bonuses and play or $15 a week. It's 1949, right? :yawn:

P.S: Joe Willy. DB's do hit hard, but even playing baseball is no guarantee of health -- Look at Kerry Wood & Mark Prior.

A late first early 2nd would take years to actually collect 10 million. If he's bombing that badly in baseball he can always come back to football.

Playing baseball is no guarantee of health, you are correct. However it is a guaranteed contract, so if he busts up jhis arm tomorrow he still gets his 10 mil. If he gets busted up in football he gets his signing bonus and a nice "awe that's a shame" from guys like you and me.

You're prediction is looking good Riggs - he's even been pulled from the rotation and stuck in the pen. I'd like to hope (being a sick Cubs fan) for the first time in his young life he's being taught to be a pitcher rather than a thrower and is struggling to make the necessary changes along with learning a ton of technique. From what I've read, he never got a lot of good instruction, only H.S. coaching until ND and then was the football stud first and ball player 2nd.

As far as his decision to play ball, I read an article that talks a little more about that -

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-samardzija1707apr17,0,6668782.story?page=1&coll=orl-sports-headlines

You're prediction is looking good Riggs - he's even been pulled from the rotation and stuck in the pen. I'd like to hope (being a sick Cubs fan) for the first time in his young life he's being taught to be a pitcher rather than a thrower and is struggling to make the necessary changes along with learning a ton of technique. From what I've read, he never got a lot of good instruction, only H.S. coaching until ND and then was the football stud first and ball player 2nd.

As far as his decision to play ball, I read an article that talks a little more about that -

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-samardzija1707apr17,0,6668782.story?page=1&coll=orl-sports-headlines

Thanks for the article NJ.

• 1 year later...

Not doing an I told you so yet Riggs - but there may be one coming down the pike...;)

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080725&content_id=3191775&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Archived