ESPN's Mort: Parcells to Jets as consultant ? ? ?

kelly

I wanted Bill to come back but you know what? Let him get paid somewhere else. I would rather have these guys learn on the job then have him "use" the Jets again.

If he had any pride he would have stepped back in after Belly left. But he was retired. Only to coach for how many more years?

Although it would be a nice shot in the Belly war. But I would just as soon pass.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This is the old Bill Walsh as a consultant gig. He spent the better part of half a decade undermining a succession of coaching staffs with the 49'ers. Parcells does not have the self restraint that would allow him not to meddle.

Sigh... Tangini need the freedom to grow and make mistakes without a "legend" having a direct line to ownership. Fu@k that sh1t.

I wanted Bill to come back but you know what? Let him get paid somewhere else. I would rather have these guys learn on the job then have him "use" the Jets again.

If he had any pride he would have stepped back in after Belly left. But he was retired. Only to coach for how many more years?

Although it would be a nice shot in the Belly war. But I would just as soon pass.

Good point about stepping back in after Beliprick left but I'd still like to have his input on draft day. He did have some great drafts while in charge of the Jets. I know he's just on pause mode till 08.

Stay the hell away, you gave us a salary cap mess, and there is much debate on Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis to this day. JAbe also barely played and now is gone. I'd rather have Tangini than TangiTUNAgini, and you better believe he'd marginalize the other two.

Good point about stepping back in after Beliprick left but I'd still like to have his input on draft day. He did have some great drafts while in charge of the Jets. I know he's just on pause mode till 08.

His first couple of drafts were mediocre. Trading down at #1 and getting James Farrior wasn't great. And there were a bunch of busts like Dorian Boose and the like. His only good draft was when he had 4 qst round picks plus Coles in the 3rd.

if he wanst to be a guy that mangini leans on I am ok w/ it but if he should never be allowed to talk to tannenbaum about the draft and FAs. BP's drafts from '97-'99 were an embarrassment and he put us in cap hell then fled and left the mess to TB. BP WAS a great coach, those days are long gone but he's never been a great GM.

We have all seen this song and dance before haven't we ?

Personally, I will always be thankful that he came when he did and pulled the Jets out of the abyss. This is Magnini's and Tannenbaum's team now.

I think the bottom is going to fall out from under the Giants next year. Caughlin will be fired and Parcells will come back and coach the Giants in 2008

if he wanst to be a guy that mangini leans on I am ok w/ it but if he should never be allowed to talk to tannenbaum about the draft and FAs. BP's drafts from '97-'99 were an embarrassment and he put us in cap hell then fled and left the mess to TB. BP WAS a great coach, those days are long gone but he's never been a great GM.

Agree 100000%.

I think regardless if he is a consultant or not that both Tannenbaum and Mangini will be in contact with him about ideas. They are all friends and another voice is never a bad thing

Well as long as the street runs that way I am okay with it. If they wan't to go to him for advice that is fine. I just fear that he would give his input when it wasn't asked for. And that would only serve to confuse things.

Parcells would "Advise" the same way the Dick Cheney "Advised" when he was tagged to head up the committee to search for possible VP candidates.

This is madness. The last thing our young tandem needs is Parcells in a consultant role. Jeez, it was the prospect of Parcells in a consultant role that led in part to Bill Belichick bolting for the New England job.

Eff off Bill.

the only thing that I hate about when Parcells is involved is that it's ALWAYS about him first then the players and the team-again I'd trust Tangini to do what they feel is right and be OK with whatever they decide-they are still operating on a honeymoon basis right now

Wow this post is wrong.

Jets: Parcells not out of question

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Bill Parcells might have retired as head coach of the Cowboys yesterday, but -- if history is any indication -- that doesn't mean he's done with the NFL.

And while the Giants yesterday ruled out a reunion with the franchise's lone Super Bowl-winning coach -- "No" was Giants president John Mara's to-the-point answer to whether the Giants had any interest in Parcells in any capacity -- the Jets front office would seem to be a logical landing place for Parcells to put the finishing touches on his Hall of Fame career.

Parcells, 65, is extremely close to Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, whom Parcells hired in 1997 while coach of the Jets. At the time, Tannenbaum was a 28-year-old salary cap whiz whom Parcells took under his wing. The two remain good friends.

"There isn't a major decision in my life, both personally and professionally, that I make without first talking to Bill," Tannenbaum said earlier this season when asked if he spoke with Parcells before the Jets decided to hire Eric Mangini as head coach.

A native son of New Jersey -- where the Jets plan to move in 2008 -- Parcells also has a strong relationship with Mangini, who was on his staff with the Jets. During a recent, much-publicized rift with former mentor Bill Belichick, Mangini said Parcells is one of the head coaches around the league whom he calls for advice.

Parcells, who coached the Cowboys the past four seasons, spent four seasons with the Jets (1997-2000). He took them from 1-15 in 1996 to the AFC Championship Game in 1998 against the Broncos. He stepped down as coach after the 1999 season and, after a year as the director of football operations, he retired, saying he was done with football.

Parcells left the Jets with the blessings of owner Woody Johnson, who to this day admires and respects Parcells and would likely welcome him back.

Tannenbaum is in Mobile, Ala., scouting the Senior Bowl and was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Staff writer Paul Needell contributed to this story. Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

Wow this post is wrong.

How so? you think he did a good job for us as a GM? he made a couple of good moves but he had amillion draft picks from '97-'99 and about half of them didn't even make the team out of TC. he did a horrendous job and also put is in cap hell.

If he had any honor he would have retired when Belly promoted like he promised. I never blamed Belly for leaving. He was promised Tuna would be out of picture wehn he got HC job. Belly knew wuth Tuna as Prez/GM he would be looming over his shoulder and if Belly flourished it would be the Great Tuna GM,, if Belly failed it would be Tuna to rescue. Belly wanted , after 15 years, to be his own man. Parcells had promised that, but couldnt back out when push came to shove.

If Parcells had honored his committment to Belly we would have Belly as HC and a few SuperBowls.

Round 1

Told Archie Manning we wouldn’t draft Peyton. #1 pick otherwise was Orlando Pace. Tuna traded that away for James Farrior, Dedric Ward, Terry Day, Leon Johnson, Chuck Clements, and Fergie.

Round 2

Rick Terry (#31 overall; almost like a first-rounder)

Dorian Boose

Randy Thomas

Round 3

David Loverne

Scott Frost

Kevin Williams

Dedric Ward

Round 4

Terry Day

Leon Johnson

Jason Fabini

Jason Wiltz

Round 5

Lamont Burns

Raymond Austin

Casey Dailey

Doug Karczewski

Blake Spence

Eric Bateman

Jermaine Jones

Round 6

Tim Scharf

Chuck Clements

Eric Ogbogu

Chris Brazzell

Dustin Johnson

Marc Megna

J.P. Machado

Round 7

Steve Rosga

Jason Ferguson

Lawrence Hart

Ryan Young

J.J. Syvrud

Now he did have an awesome draft in 2000 but it’s pretty hard to have a bad draft with 5 day-one picks (to say nothing of 4 of them coming in round 1): Ellis, Abraham, Chad, Becht, Coles

He did bring in Mawae, who was made the highest-paid center of all-time. And he brought in Curtis as well, though it wasn’t like it was “free” – it cost a first rounder and a third rounder and the (then) richest contract in NFL history. But again, that wasn’t solely because of some amazing eye for talent. At that time, there was a certain aura around BP that doesn’t exist anymore. Players WANTED to come play for him. They figured even with his a-hole personality the guy was a flat-out winner & had just turned around a 1-15 Jets team right after turning a 2-14 Pats team into a superbowl team.

He also gave ridiculously-sized contracts to Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman, Bryan Cox, and gave a bunch of money for Steve A****er who wasn’t exactly in his prime.

If Tangini want to bounce some ideas off him, that’s fine. As some Dallas players become FA’s he can give a unique insight on their abilities & intelligence that you don’t get just by watching game film alone. But the last thing they need around is an ego as big as the Tuna’s giving press conferences.

Archived