TRADE ? ? ? - Scout.com reports "sources familiar w/ the Chargers" believe the Jets

kelly

" Scout.com reports "sources familiar with the Chargers" believe the Jets are willing to trade their first-round pick for Michael Turner. Turner, a restricted free agent, isn't even under contract with San Diego, but this appears to be a possibility once he's tendered. The Jets would then explore signing him long term. San Diego is reportedly now looking at running back prospects, possibly Penn State's Tony Hunt.

Source: scout.com "

> http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2641

" Scout.com reports "sources familiar with the Chargers" believe the Jets are willing to trade their first-round pick for Michael Turner. Turner, a restricted free agent, isn't even under contract with San Diego, but this appears to be a possibility once he's tendered. The Jets would then explore signing him long term. San Diego is reportedly now looking at running back prospects, possibly Penn State's Tony Hunt.

> http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2641

I'd be very surprised if they let their 1st rounder get away...no, shocked

"The Jets were very busy with another team Tuesday morning as it seems the franchise will fill one of their two coaching vacancies with an assistant from Tampa Bay. Mike Tannenbaum and Terry Bradway were huddled before practice with Buccaneer coaches."

The NYJ are also reportedly interested in Hunt from psu.

Given the reluctancy of the tangini combo to dilute their draft class, I find this hard to believe. However, I like Turner, and assuming the draft pans out as expected, he is better then any RB we would be able to take, so I wouldnt mind it all that much

Turner is a huge question mark, but who knows, if he turns into the next LJ, obviously it'd be worth it for us. I think we could get Portis for less though, so I don't know what to think. A 1st seems so steep to me, but to be honest, this draft class so far doesn't really impress me like the last one did. It all depends on where the drop is in talent. Last year it was around the 40 mark, although I think McNeill made it even further than that. This year, I think it might even be at 10, or earlier. We'll have these discussions all offseason I guess, but if the CS thinks that's where the drop is, then trading a 1st this year for Turner might not be a bad idea.

While it would cojnflict with the phylosophy of the Jets the Schott connection makes me think this may happen. I wouldn't be torn up if it did.

How does this conflict with their philosophy? Didn't the Patriots trade a second rounder for a soon-to-be 30 year old Corey Dillon?

Turner does not have the baggage that Dillon did, mentally or physically. He will be as fresh as the rookie RBs.

Ask yourselves this question:

Do you honestly believe there are 25 better players in the draft then Michael Turner who you think will turn out to be a better pro? If your answer is no then you should be all for this deal, as I am.

Here is the reality people:

Adrian Peterson is not going past the Top 10 and Marshawn Lynch is not going past 16 and if he does it could be to 18 or 19 (wherever Tennessee is).. so they will NOT be avaiable for the Jets at 25.

I will take Michael Turner for a 1st round pick anyday as he is a young back (25) with a tremendous promise and a great starting NFL 300+ carry calibear back future ahead of him. We can address the OLine, DLine & Secondary (unless we pick up Samuel, Harper or Clements then we should probably look at Linebacker) with our 2 2nd rounders and our 3rd rounder.

Ask yourselves this question:

Do you honestly believe there are 25 better players in the draft then Michael Turner who you think will turn out to be a better pro? If your answer is no then you should be all for this deal, as I am.

Here is the reality people:

Adrian Peterson is not going past the Top 10 and Marshawn Lynch is not going past 16 and if he does it could be to 18 or 19 (wherever Tennessee is).. so they will NOT be avaiable for the Jets at 25.

I will take Michael Turner for a 1st round pick anyday as he is a young back (25) with a tremendous promise and a great starting NFL 300+ carry calibear back future ahead of him. We can address the OLine, DLine & Secondary (unless we pick up Samuel, Harper or Clements then we should probably look at Linebacker) with our 2 2nd rounders and our 3rd rounder.

Nick harper would be a down grade from any of our right corners. I wouldn't be 100% apposed to getting turner, first rounder seems a bit steep. drop it to second, that would be a good deal.

i hope to use that first on an O or D linemen still.

and pray for clement

Nick harper would be a down grade from any of our right corners. I wouldn't be 100% apposed to getting turner, first rounder seems a bit steep. drop it to second, that would be a good deal.

i hope to use that first on an O or D linemen still.

and pray for clement

Nick Harper is good against the run, young and a very underappreciated corner. David Barrett is not as good as Nick Harper (would be better served as a back-up or possible slot-man corner) and Hank Poteat, Drew Coleman and Justin Miller are not NFL starting corners.

Nick Harper is good against the run, young and a very underappreciated corner. David Barrett is not as good as Nick Harper (would be better served as a back-up or possible slot-man corner) and Hank Poteat, Drew Coleman and Justin Miller are not NFL starting corners.

I'll give you barrett, but Coleman was just a rookie, i bet he gets a lot better. he got benched because of the one bad play (granted it was for the game) against chicago. I'd like to see Coleman get a few chances next year (as a back up) he could be good.

maybe harper is better than i think. i saw him play a few times, steelers last year was one game. he was getting beat with relative ease (against an all-pro reciever...either way, still beat). Maybe he'll do well in two weeks, who knows, could be a good pick-up

How does this conflict with their philosophy? Didn't the Patriots trade a second rounder for a soon-to-be 30 year old Corey Dillon?

Turner does not have the baggage that Dillon did, mentally or physically. He will be as fresh as the rookie RBs.

Dillon had the single game rushing record at the time, and six 1000 yard seasons.

Turner doesn't have 1000 yards yet in his whole 3 year career. Fact is no one knows what Turner can be. All we know at this point is he is a former 5th round pick that has looked good in spots.

So yeah very similar.....good point.:rolleyes:

Two papers to watch are www.signonsandiego.com and www.northcountytimes.com for any news.

Dillon had the single game rushing record at the time, and six 1000 yard seasons.

Turner doesn't have 1000 yards yet in his whole 3 year career. Fact is no one knows what Turner can be. All we know at this point is he is a former 5th round pick that has looked good in spots.

I think the Jets as well as us fans would have to trust Schotty's decision on this one as none of us know anything more than the few glimpses we've seen of Turner. That is not enough for us to be certain he's worth a 1st rd pick.

I think the bigger question is what is the Jets most pressing need and can it be addressed with the pick they are giving away. I am not fond of giving up a 1st round pick and giving big money to this type of player. Rbs are a dime a dozen. Without a quality O Line it does not matter who is back there

I think the bigger question is what is the Jets most pressing need and can it be addressed with the pick they are giving away. I am not fond of giving up a 1st round pick and giving big money to this type of player. Rbs are a dime a dozen. Without a quality O Line it does not matter who is back there

I agree 100%, dime a dozen is exactly how to describe them...Unless you have one of the leagues top 5 or 6.

Its much harder to find an all-pro LT than it would be to take an avg running back and through him behind the Denver line and see him run for 1500 yards.

I dunno about a dime a dozen. A lot of these play-off teams have been able to successfully mix in the run when they get to the redzone. We on the other hand basically hold up a sign that we are passing.

I am not sure how much of that is due to the OL as opposed to mediocre backs. We'll see I guess.

I dunno about a dime a dozen. A lot of these play-off teams have been able to successfully mix in the run when they get to the redzone. We on the other hand basically hold up a sign that we are passing.

I am not sure how much of that is due to the OL as opposed to mediocre backs. We'll see I guess.

You are right about the remaining teams having good backs (usually...see NE almost every season...dillon is good, but not elite). Hate to say it, the Jets weren't in that round for a reason, they have so many holes to fill, that RB gets pushed to the back of the pile until the rest are taken care of.

I think you missed my point.

My point was that they WILL trade early draft picks for players that they feel can help the team. Dillon had 1-2 good years left at most and the Pats still gave up a 2nd rounder for him. If the Jets believe that Turner can be a great back, and even if they believe he would be the third best back in this draft class, they would not hesitate to trade a high draft pick for him.

Curtis Martin ring a bell?

Though there's still a chill in the air the weather cleared in Mobile for the morning's practice as the North took the field. A full compliment of general managers, coaches and scouts were on hand and there was plenty of news swirling in the air, including the San Diego Chargers and a trade brewing.

Sources familiar with the San Diego Chargers thinking feel Michael Turner will be traded to the New York Jets for the team's pick in round one.

The Chargers will tender Turner the maximum amount and will trade him for nothing less than a first rounder. Speaking to people familiar with the Chargers around Mobile you get the feeling the deal is done.

One sticking point could be the Jets, or any team who desires the acquisition of Turner, coming to terms on a long term contract with the running back.

Pretty interesting.

Archived