Russ Grimm to leave Steelers for Arizona also

faba

Steelers' Grimm follows Whisenhunt to Cardinals

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Russ Grimm was hired as the Arizona Cardinals' assistant head coach and offensive line coach Tuesday, two weeks after he interviewed for the head coaching position.

Grimm's hiring comes two days after erroneous reports that the Pittsburgh Steelers had chosen him to replace retired coach Bill Cowher. Grimm wanted the Steelers job but said he was happy to reunite with Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, a former Steelers staffmate.

"It's about 23 degrees and snowing, so I'm looking forward to the weather," Grimm told reporters on a conference call from Pittsburgh.

Grimm interviewed for the Cardinals' and Steelers' top jobs. After the Cardinals hired Whisenhunt, Grimm appeared to emerge as the leading candidate to succeed Cowher.

On Sunday, a published report in the Pittsburgh area said the club would promote Grimm. But the Steelers instead hired Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Grimm seemed disappointed but wasn't bitter over the way events played out.

"Obviously, it was tough," Grimm said. "I thought I had a shot at it. Whatever the details are and things like that, I respect the decision that was made.

"It's time to move on," he added. "I'm thrilled to be in Arizona."

The 47-year-old Grimm will be charged with improving the Cardinals' offensive line, which drew heavy criticism during the team's 5-11 season.

"Obviously, I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous," Whisenhunt said in a statement.

Grimm worked as an assistant with the Steelers the last six seasons. He spent the previous 19 years with the Washington Redskins -- as an all-pro guard for 11 seasons (1981-91) and then as an assistant coach for eight (1992-2000).

Grimm is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He said he's not anxious about the Feb. 3 vote in Miami.

"I tend to concentrate on the things I have control over," Grimm said. "Something like that is exciting, but it's something that's out of my hands."

Grimm is the fifth assistant to join Whisenhunt's staff. He joins defensive backs coach Teryl Austin, linebackers coach Billy Davis, strength and conditioning coach John Lott and special teams coach Kevin Spencer.

Grimm said it wouldn't be strange to work for Whisenhunt after competing with him for top jobs in Arizona and Pittsburgh.

"I don't mind riding shotgun,"

I honestly believe this may be the biggest coaching move of the off-season. Russ Grimm should be able to work wonders with a few draft selections and possibly a FA pick-up or two and retool that Arizona OLine into a very respectful / decent unit right away and probably in a few years, one of the best. Which in turn means nothing but good things for Edge, Leinart & the receiving core.

any time you allow someone to ram a candidate down your throat for any reason external to the candidate's credentials you can flush your organization down the crapper. the commissioner's job is the league's interest, not an individual team's. listen to the commissioner for team moves is assinine. rooney should have said "we interviewed minority candidates but we likes Grimm. the rooney rule is give minority candidates a fair shot, i can't help if the best man for this team happens to be white." in one fell swoop rooney goes from a classy guy to backstabbing a man after reaching an agreement in principle. political correctness causes some ugly shhit.

The Steelers are changing both sides of the ball. Wow. A team that could have won the Super Bowl next season without wholesale changes. Bad news.

Hey Max - I completely agree that the changes are a bit much given they just won the SB last year. I would have liked to keep Whisenhunt. However, I am not exactly hitting any panice buttons yet. I don't think they'll be major changes to the philosphy (D and ball control). I think they are even going to keep the base 3-4 in place (with LeBeau staying). And, I am certain they are going to continue to run the hell out of the ball. There are always questions about how the team will react to a new coach, but I expect the "look and feel" of the Steelers to be very familiar.

Sounds like any changes to the defense would be made over time. They might overlay something more conservative (cover 2 / tampa 2) right over the base 3-4. Or, move to running a 3-4 and 4-3 situationally. Any permanent move to 4-3 would likely be planned ahead to allow for personnel adjustments, etc. I'd prefer to keep something in place that allows Troy to roam around and cause problems.

Bottom line is that I'll take my chances with a new coach and this team (compared to an experienced coach with a team with tons of holes in it). Ben completely **** the bed this year and they still went 8-8.

We can revisit this issue when Tomlin retires in 2022 to see how it worked out.

Hey Max - I completely agree that the changes are a bit much given they just won the SB last year. I would have liked to keep Whisenhunt. However, I am not exactly hitting any panice buttons yet. I don't think they'll be major changes to the philosphy (D and ball control). I think they are even going to keep the base 3-4 in place (with LeBeau staying). And, I am certain they are going to continue to run the hell out of the ball. There are always questions about how the team will react to a new coach, but I expect the "look and feel" of the Steelers to be very familiar.

Sounds like any changes to the defense would be made over time. They might overlay something more conservative (cover 2 / tampa 2) right over the base 3-4. Or, move to running a 3-4 and 4-3 situationally. Any permanent move to 4-3 would likely be planned ahead to allow for personnel adjustments, etc. I'd prefer to keep something in place that allows Troy to roam around and cause problems.

Bottom line is that I'll take my chances with a new coach and this team (compared to an experienced coach with a team with tons of holes in it). Ben completely **** the bed this year and they still went 8-8.

We can revisit this issue when Tomlin retires in 2022 to see how it worked out.

Well keeping LeBeau and the 3-4 would be a good move. They can keep those 2 safetys deep if they want. Just don't screw with everything else. ;)

Oh and thanks for gracing us with your presence. I hope you have a calmer offseason this year Ben. Stay off the motorcycle and maybe everything will be fine in Pittsburgh!

I cannot wait to watch Roethlisberger squirm. Prick. Big Douche sucks ass and he proved it this season and he'll prove it for the remainder of his career unless Pittsburgh can keep a good OLine and find 2 running backs he can give the ball off to so he only has to throw 15 times a game. Oh and they need to improve that D as well. Poor Ben. NOT!

I cannot wait to watch Roethlisberger squirm. Prick. Big Douche sucks ass and he proved it this season and he'll prove it for the remainder of his career unless Pittsburgh can keep a good OLine and find 2 running backs he can give the ball off to so he only has to throw 15 times a game. Oh and they need to improve that D as well. Poor Ben. NOT!

Ben's horrible season (and it was bad) was a 75.4

Chad's was 82.6 this year and all the Jets fans were wet in the shorts about it.

I think maybe you are the douche fella. Suck my balls you ****.

Ben's horrible season (and it was bad) was a 75.4

Chad's was 82.6 this year and all the Jets fans were wet in the shorts about it.

I think maybe you are the douche fella. Suck my balls you ****.

LOL

All ball sucking aside..Ben is nothing more than a system QB. His success came directly from his running game. He was exposed this season.

Ben=Eli in terms of talent.

LOL

All ball sucking aside..Ben is nothing more than a system QB. His success came directly from his running game. He was exposed this season.

Ben=Eli in terms of talent.

Ben=Eli ??? Wow. I hope you are just busting with this comment....if you are good one.

Based on your comments above (Ben=Eli) I am sure you did not see the AFC playoffs last year. No Ben no Lombardi, simple as that.

This is the problem I have found with Jets fans (all kidding aside). Once you get outside of the Jets its falls apart pretty quickly. I know some diehard Jets fans that don't even watch the playoffs once the Jets are out of it. Jets fans are amongst the most loyal to their team, for sure. However, they are not amongst the most knowledgeable fans when it comes to other teams/players.

Anyway, I only post here 'cause I think Max is cute.

Ben=Eli ??? Wow. I hope you are just busting with this comment....if you are good one.

Based on your comments above (Ben=Eli) I am sure you did not see the AFC playoffs last year. No Ben no Lombardi, simple as that.

This is the problem I have found with Jets fans (all kidding aside). Once you get outside of the Jets its falls apart pretty quickly. I know some diehard Jets fans that don't even watch the playoffs once the Jets are out of it. Jets fans are amongst the most loyal to their team, for sure. However, they are not amongst the most knowledgeable fans when it comes to other teams/players.

Anyway, I only post here 'cause I think Max is cute.

Absolutely right! How wrong was I? I meant Eli>Ben. wrong equality symbol.

You know what I've noticed about Steeler fans?

Outside of their towel-waving circle jerk, they really can't call a spade a spade.

I bet you are one of the ones who claim last year was a disaster because of Ben's accident. If Charlie Batch was the QB they would have been in the playoffs.

ouch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/news/story?id=2746974

10. Ben Roethlisberger: Big Ben capped a remarkable second year by becoming the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl (23 years old). The Steelers' QB did so, however, by turning in the worst performance by a winning quarterback. Roethlisberger was 9-for-21 for 123 yards. Seattle's Kelly Herndon returned a horrid Roethlisberger pass 76 yards.

I think Ben had a terrible year, if he played better this is a 11 or 12 win team. And, I don't think the accident is an excuse. Bottom line is that if he throws a few less int's next year they are right back in it.

Scientists believe that Jets fans actually have an extra copy of the 21st chromosome which allows them to be extremely exited over mediocrity year after year and to look to the future with unusual optimism even though nothing good ever actually happens.

As always, suck my balls.

Absolutely right! How wrong was I? I meant Eli>Ben. wrong equality symbol.

You know what I've noticed about Steeler fans?

Outside of their towel-waving circle jerk, they really can't call a spade a spade.

I bet you are one of the ones who claim last year was a disaster because of Ben's accident. If Charlie Batch was the QB they would have been in the playoffs.