Vilma And The 3-4: MERGED

BoomBoomMancini

The guy is really an awful fit in the 3-4

230 lbs isn't going to get it done in that system..

his stregnth(sideline to sideline tackling) won't be utilized, and he is an awful pass rusher.

I think he still has a lot of value(pro bowler, good contract).

Probably get a first rounder for him.

Again... No brainer

I think the Jets will do it too as they seem set on re-signing Victor Hobson.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why can't Jetsrule128 just post under one username?

lol, he's trying to get back into JI again. he asked me to come up with a name for him, so i did, and im like, thats the best ****ing chance you have of not getting banned, that name. his response "but i'll forget it." so i said ****ING WRITE IT DOWN!!!!! that kid is something special......

lol, he's trying to get back into JI again. he asked me to come up with a name for him, so i did, and im like, thats the best ****ing chance you have of not getting banned, that name. his response "but i'll forget it." so i said ****ING WRITE IT DOWN!!!!! that kid is something special......

What

I love how weight, speed and tackles are the only thing discussed when talking about defenders. If that were the case Rodney Harrison would have been out of a job years ago, same goes for Ty Law. You really think they are the best athletes on the field? Or maybe there is a thing known as 'smarts' that plays a rather significant role with the most important defensive position on the field.

Watch Vilma in an interview and you will see his value is a little higher than his weight of 230 pounds. He carries himself very well, and you can tell the team respects him.

As for his blitzing...yeah its pretty sad, but i'm sure they are working with it.

Last thing, nobody has mentioned his goal line stop against Maroney, right before they threw for the score late in the second quarter. Not many backers stop him there...

I love how weight, speed and tackles are the only thing discussed when talking about defenders. If that were the case Rodney Harrison would have been out of a job years ago, same goes for Ty Law. You really think they are the best athletes on the field? Or maybe there is a thing known as 'smarts' that plays a rather significant role with the most important defensive position on the field.

Watch Vilma in an interview and you will see his value is a little higher than weight 230 pounds.

As for his blitzing...yeah its pretty sad, but i'm sure they are working with it.

Last thing, nobody has mentioned his goal line stop against Maroney, right before they threw for the score late in the second quarter. Not many backers stop him there...

yeah, and then not many backers miss a wide open sack, and no tmany backers give up a TD on a playfake with 10 seconds left when the otehr team has ZERO timeouts, and you know they must pass it. but at least Vilma held them before they gave up the 7, yeah, Vilma is a real all star.

yeah, and then not many backers miss a wide open sack, and no tmany backers give up a TD on a playfake with 10 seconds left when the otehr team has ZERO timeouts, and you know they must pass it. but at least Vilma held them before they gave up the 7, yeah, Vilma is a real all star.

So its clear you don't play sports. That play action was Vilma's fault? You were probably too busy making love to Rhodes' face to realize it was his man. Nice try.

So its clear you don't play sports. That play action was Vilma's fault? You were probably too busy making love to Rhodes' face to realize it was his man. Nice try.

hah? shouldnt it have been up to mr captain of the defense to alert everybody that, duhh, they arent going to run, they're going to pass, so that way they dont bite on the obvious play fake. thats just me, but i dunno. Vilma had a whale of a ball game, he stopped a goal line stand that gave up a touchdown on the next play anyway, and he missed a sack that only led to 3 points and turned the whole game around. yep, mr pro bowl all star, chalk up another bigtime ball game.

Wow. Just wow.

i think we should`ve stayed at the 4-3, the highest ranked 3-4 team defensevly is the pats at number 6.

aMEN,BROTHER!!!

The 3-4 is IDIOTIC!!!!!!!!!We don't have the personel.We are WASTING great talent.Like you said the highest rank d is #6 and there are only 5 other teams running it,and one,the steelers are switching!!

Why,why,why????If Herm was running this D we would be screaming,but because it's Mangini.Look,I LOVE Mangini,but what the heLL are we doing?????

There is not one poster(and PLEASE prove me wrong)that could tell me why the 3-4 is better suited for our team!

It's worth a new thread:

Running the 3-4 is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we had a monster NT and a Ray Lewis type ILB,I understand,but we don't.We have an awesome 4-3 middle linebacker and a #4 overall 4-3 DT who are being wasted!!

Why do only 5 other teams run the 3-4??The only successful one being the Pats who are only #6 overall and they have Wilfork to stuff the middle.

why why why???To me it is Mangini being stubborn!!Yes,he ran it in NE,but again they have WILFORK!!!!!!!!we don't!

Now we have to waste our #1 on a big NT,even though we just took a DT #4 overall.We are talking about trading our best defensive player because he's invisible in the system.I don't get it.I just don't get it.

I beg someone to explain it to me.

aMEN,BROTHER!!!

The 3-4 is IDIOTIC!!!!!!!!!We don't have the personel.We are WASTING great talent.Like you said the highest rank d is #6 and there are only 5 other teams running it,and one,the steelers are switching!!

Why,why,why????If Herm was running this D we would be screaming,but because it's Mangini.Look,I LOVE Mangini,but what the heLL are we doing?????

There is not one poster(and PLEASE prove me wrong)that could tell me why the 3-4 is better suited for our team!

Yeah Lance, the 3-4 sucks. The Pats used it to take them to the AFC Championship and the Steelers used it to win the Super Bowl last year. And, everyone knows how much the Chargers defense sucks. ;)

Here's your one reason. Our coach, is familiar with and prefers the 3-4. Thats one reason why we are better suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3.

It's worth a new thread:

If we had a monster NT and a Ray Lewis type ILB,I understand,but we don't.We have an awesome 4-3 middle linebacker and a #4 overall 4-3 DT who are being wasted!!

Why do only 5 other teams run the 3-4??The only successful one being the Pats who are only #6 overall and they have Wilfork to stuff the middle.

why why why???To me it is Mangini being stubborn!!Yes,he ran it in NE,but again they have WILFORK!!!!!!!!we don't!

Now we have to waste our #1 on a big NT,even though we just took a DT #4 overall.We are talking about trading our best defensive player because he's invisible in the system.I don't get it.I just don't get it.

Ray Lewis supposedly wasn't suited to the 3-4 at first either.

It's worth a new thread:

I think one of the reasons they are in love with it is because they can so easily mask the defense. Thomas doesn't have to rush the passer. They can blitz somebody else instead.

Remember the Pats playoff game? They lost but how could you not love that defense? It was a 3 - 8. Earlier this year they called the Jets offense, the muddle huddle because they lingered around the line of scrimmage. Well basically they did the same thing on defense. Nobody knew where the blitzers were coming from. (Granted you could do this with a 4-3 as well).

But playing Devil's Advocate and remembering that this is a copycat league -- wouldn't you look at the Pats and Steelers success and say that is a good enough reason to run the 3 - 4?

Watch Vilma in an interview and you will see his value is a little higher than his weight of 230 pounds. He carries himself very well, and you can tell the team respects him.

Most of this post is damn right. Vilma can adjust and play well in the 3-4. The Jets might decide he has more value to the team as a trade, but it wont be because they dont think he can succeed in the 3-4.

As for the goal line play referenced above, it was a great play, but I think a lot of LBs would have made it. It was an easy read, in a run situation, and he didnt have to fight off any blockers to get there. A good play and worthy of praise, but not necessarily something that Vilma can do that others couldnt.

Yeah Lance, the 3-4 sucks. The Pats used it to take them to the AFC Championship and the Steelers used it to win the Super Bowl last year. And, everyone knows how much the Chargers defense sucks. ;)

Here's your one reason. Our coach, is familiar with and prefers the 3-4. Thats one reason why we are better suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3.

I never said the 3-4 sucks,it sucks for us.Only a handful of teams are suited for it.The pats have Wilfork,the chargers have williams clogging the middle at 350lbs. and playing the role of LT is the best defensive player in the game.

Us plaing the 3-4 is like Michael Vick playing the wco. or Bledsoe running the option,sure the 49ers built a dynasty on the WCO and Nebraska has won national titles with the option,but.........

I think one of the reasons they are in love with it is because they can so easily mask the defense. Thomas doesn't have to rush the passer. They can blitz somebody else instead.

Remember the Pats playoff game? They lost but how could you not love that defense? It was a 3 - 8. Earlier this year they called the Jets offense, the muddle huddle because they lingered around the line of scrimmage. Well basically they did the same thing on defense. Nobody knew where the blitzers were coming from. (Granted you could do this with a 4-3 as well).

But playing Devil's Advocate and remembering that this is a copycat league -- wouldn't you look at the Pats and Steelers success and say that is a good enough reason to run the 3 - 4?

Don't forget the Chargers!

but,again,they have the players to do it.Like i said in the other post,the WCO,although responsible for a 49ers dynasty isn't suited for Michael Vick.

Don't forget the Chargers!

again,the chargers NT weighs 350lbs and they happen to have a guy,playing the role of Lawrence Taylor who is the best in the game.

All I'm saying is we have a #4 pick overall who we don't know what to do with and another first round stud we are considering trading after a brilliant rookie year in the 4-3.

Both super bowl teams run the 4-3 by the way.

So instead of using our draft picks on play makers,we must,once again go to the DL to band aid our run defense.

I never said the 3-4 sucks,it sucks for us.Only a handful of teams are suited for it.The pats have Wilfork,the chargers have williams clogging the middle at 350lbs. and playing the role of LT is the best defensive player in the game.

Us plaing the 3-4 is like Michael Vick playing the wco. or Bledsoe running the option,sure the 49ers built a dynasty on the WCO and Nebraska has won national titles with the option,but.........

Hey you started a thread on this and then kept discussing it here. ;)

The players that were on the roster last year were not good enough to win the Super Bwol. I think we would all agree to that (the team that won 4 games). Anyhow I would rather they put in a scheme that they feel can win the Super Bowl. Instead of working around players that won't be here in a few years.

(I am not saying Vilma).

It's worth a new thread:

I addressed this in the other thread as well, but I'll expand my explanation here.

1. The Coach believes in and is comfortable with the 3-4. He was hired to put in place the elements that he believed would lead to success and clearly the 3-4 is a big part of it. And, I'll point out that the Jets went 10-6 using the system and beat the Pats once for the first time in a long time.

2. The 3-4 worked. After the players were comfortable the coaches started to insert new blitz packages and looks that confused our opponents (see Tom Brady) and helped the Jets improve their record from 4 and 4 at the break to 10-6 at the end of the season.

3. The 3-4 allows the D to do more with less. The 3-4 may make players superstars, but it doesnt really require superstar personell to be successful. Because it relies so much on scheme for its success the individual players dont have to be superstars to excel in the system and be productive (see Hobson, Thomas and Rhodes who all really stepped out of the shadows)

4. As max said the 3-4 allows the coaches to create a number of different looks that are designed to confuse opposing QBs and O coordinators.

5. Last year was the first year in the 3-4 and the Jets D showed consistent improvement and helped the Jets go 6-2 over the last 6 games. Imagine how effective it might be next season when the players know their assignments all year and more of the personnel issues that are bothering you have been addressed in the off season.

I really dont understand why you insist on railing against the 3-4. The scheme works, it worked for the Jets, and Tangini will continue to bring in players that better suit the scheme so it works even better in the future. If your argument against the 3-4 is that Vilma wasnt productive enough then I think you need to rethink your football priorities.

Hey you started a thread on this and then kept discussing it here. ;)

The players that were on the roster last year were not good enough to win the Super Bwol. I think we would all agree to that (the team that won 4 games). Anyhow I would rather they put in a scheme that they feel can win the Super Bowl. Instead of working around players that won't be here in a few years.

(I am not saying Vilma).

lol sorry,Max,I should've known this board was active enough to just keep the thread right here!!We'll take it over there kill it here.

lol sorry,Max,I should've known this board was active enough to just keep the thread right here!!We'll take it over there kill it here.

No worries. I just merged the two together! Thanks.

Oh and the 3-4 is better. :Nuts:

Archived