Jets eye Nebraska DE- Jay Moore

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/jaymoore.html

Strengths:

Has pretty good size and a solid frame with long arms...His timed speed is more than adequate...Strong and tough...Was relatively productive...Has a tremendous motor...Is very smart...Makes a lot of plays behind the line...Hard worker with top intangibles...Excellent bull rusher...Is versatile and can play a couple of positions.

Weaknesses:

Not very stout at the point of attack and gets pushed back...Is not overly athletic and lacks a burst to close...Struggles to shed blockers...A bit of an overachiever who gets the most out of his ability...Has some past injury concerns...He needs to expand his pass rush repertoire...Does not have a lot of range...Upside is limited.

Notes:

Could potentially project to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme...Tore his ACL as a high school senior...Was overshadowed by teammate Adam Carriker throughout his career but was just as productive and a good pro prospect in his own right...A self-made player who is not nearly as athletic as his workout numbers would lead you to believe and might have maxed out his potential but a interesting prospect.

If this report is on the money... maybe if we get him late but it seems like he would be an OLB and considering it says he is not very athletic...

He is listed at 280, if he is ACTUALLY 280 then maybe but if he is really in the 270's, minus the weight he will lose through the season... we cant have a 260lb DE... maybe OLB though...

You know what I hate with most player scouting profiles? Often times they contridict themselves. Like with this Moore kid. Postives: Excellent Bull Rusher Neg: Not strong at point of attack, Pos: Makes plays behind line Neg: Lacks burst. What the hell?

You know what I hate with most player scouting profiles? Often times they contridict themselves. Like with this Moore kid. Postives: Excellent Bull Rusher Neg: Not strong at point of attack, Pos: Makes plays behind line Neg: Lacks burst. What the hell?

That means more often than not he gets pushed around, but he has shown he CAN get it done in the right situation....

I agree he fits Mangini's profile if Mangini wants to continue adding Anthony Schlegels to the LB corps.

That about sums it up...

That means more often than not he gets pushed around, but he has shown he CAN get it done in the right situation....

That about sums it up...

Pass

Take their other DE with pick #37.

The problem with Carriker is that I think after the Senior Bowl and the Combine he will be a mid round first.

Moore had a very good season but I have to wonder if that had more to do with offenses focusing more on Carriker.

Carriker also could have looked better due to a decent DE on the other side, O's couldnt single him out...

If this report is on the money... maybe if we get him late but it seems like he would be an OLB and considering it says he is not very athletic...

He is listed at 280, if he is ACTUALLY 280 then maybe but if he is really in the 270's, minus the weight he will lose through the season... we cant have a 260lb DE... maybe OLB though...

Not athletic = slow with no wiggle. Some of those negatives (struggles to shed blockers, lack of range, needs to improve pass rush) shouldn't be a problem for a two gapper. Still, I don't want us to be checking SAT scores picking out a DE. Let's go get some big ****ers that can run, please.

Carriker also could have looked better due to a decent DE on the other side, O's couldnt single him out...

That's one of the things people tried to say about Schlegel.

hey fellas

after seeing 3 north practices and interviewing him, here is my Jay Moore report:

very smart intense and hard working - quicker than you'd think upfield but needs to improve on his outside contain against the run

however there are alot of other interesting DE prospects this year and most will see him as a tweener - 4-5th rounder pending workout times, using a second i believe would be overpaying

"Gets pushed back at the point of attack" is what scares me. We already have enough of line man who get blown off the line so other teams run the ball down our throats. I'll take a pass thank you.

hey fellas

after seeing 3 north practices and interviewing him, here is my Jay Moore report:

very smart intense and hard working - quicker than you'd think upfield but needs to improve on his outside contain against the run

however there are alot of other interesting DE prospects this year and most will see him as a tweener - 4-5th rounder pending workout times, using a second i believe would be overpaying

This has been the same story with alot of nebraska DEs and a few have worked out very well. Grant Wistrom, Mike Rucker and Kyle VandenBosch. Maybe I'm wrong about this guy and he'll wind up in the mold of the guys I mentioned.

This has been the same story with alot of nebraska DEs and a few have worked out very well. Grant Wistrom, Mike Rucker and Kyle VandenBosch. Maybe I'm wrong about this guy and he'll wind up in the mold of the guys I mentioned.

JMO he's lighter in the ass than these names you listed - most teams run a 4-3 and in that system people will see him as a tweener

JMO he's lighter in the ass than these names you listed - most teams run a 4-3 and in that system people will see him as a tweener

He's not much smaller than any of the guys I mentioned. VandenBosch came into the combine somewhere around 260 and now he's pushing 280. I just compared him to those guys because none of them were considered the best athletes but all had nonstop motors. That has served all three well in the NFL.

Archived