Jets | Team showing interest in M. Turner?

Smizzy

Jets | Team showing interest in M. Turner?

Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:32:08 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have reportedly showed interest in San Diego Chargers RB Michael Turner, according to Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. Turner will be a restricted free agent in this upcoming offseason.

This is the first confirmation I have read the Jets are indeed interested in Turner.

I think we can get Turner for a #2. After all, he isn't the starter in San Diego. I know he could start for most teams, but he isn't starting for the team he is on, and that's the argument.

That 2nd round pick we got from Washington is what...a mid 30's right-that's almost like a 1st rounder-I say offer that one and maybe a 4 from next year nothing more

That 2nd round pick we got from Washington is what...a mid 30's right-that's almost like a 1st rounder-I say offer that one and maybe a 4 from next year nothing more

our 2nd 2 and blaylock and barlow

of course the 2 of them together don't average the ypc turner does! lol

but he is only a 5th round pick himself.

I must say i was leary of this Turner guy,but those who have seen him obviously unamimously concede he's the man and,my goodness,the guy averaged 6 ypc each of hi 3 years!!It's not like it was a fluke one year.

Is there any detractor on this board that can explain his RIDICULOUS numbers?If not,give up the damn 2nd and our "starting" RB Barlow(ex-1,000 yard guy,wink,wink)

our 2nd 2 and blaylock and barlow

of course the 2 of them together don't average the ypc turner does! lol

but he is only a 5th round pick himself.

I must say i was leary of this Turner guy,but those who have seen him obviously unamimously concede he's the man and,my goodness,the guy averaged 6 ypc each of hi 3 years!!It's not like it was a fluke one year.

Is there any detractor on this board that can explain his RIDICULOUS numbers?If not,give up the damn 2nd and our "starting" RB Barlow(ex-1,000 yard guy,wink,wink)

They will calim its ebcuase he was picking up scrap yards when the D was tired... fact is even our backs cant do that so its an upgrade even if thats true...

Also he doesnt JUST play in the 4th, they use him all game effectively to spell LT...

I think we can get Turner for a #2. After all, he isn't the starter in San Diego. I know he could start for most teams, but he isn't starting for the team he is on, and that's the argument.

Exactly.

We have either pick 25, or pick 38 to trade for Michael Turner.

Now which teams between picks 25 and 38 would trade for Turner? Lets take a look.

#26 - Eagles. Not a chance.

#27 - Saints. Not a chance.

#28 - Patriots. Not a chance.

#29 - Ravens. maybe, but until I see their names in the group interested, I'd say no.

#30 - Chargers. Duh.

#31 - Colts. Not a chance.

#32 - Bears. Not a chance.

2nd rd

#33 - Oakland Raiders. Doubtful.

#34 - Lions. Nope.

#35 - Buccaneers. Not a chance.

#36 - Browns. This is the 1 team who needs a RB, this would be the team to keep an eye on.

#37 - Arizona Cardinals. Nope.

#38 - Jets.

As you can see in bold, there are really only 2 teams between picks #25 and #38 who would be players for Turner, and if they are, WE WOULD KNOW ABOUT IT!

They would have to offer a contract for Turner, would they not? That would obviously hit the news, and the Jets would trump them with the #25 pick. Otherwise, we can get Turner for our #38 pick, am I wrong?

Now if the Giants with pick #20, decide to use that on Turner, its all a moot point. There's nothing we could do about it to stop it because the highest pick we have is #25.

Aside from the Giants, who is gonna be able to pull the whool over our eyes and take Turner from us in the middle of the night? It just doesnt make any sense, if I am correct here, to offer up as a starting bid the #25 pick.

#38 should get it done, and the Chargers are probably not gonna say "NO" and then have him leave in free agency for nothing.

Now this could all change, and half the league hypothetically could get in on the Turner sweepstakes, but aside from that happening, I think its pretty safe to say #38 will get it done.

lets also keep in mind the line he is running behind and when his carries actually come. He has proven next to nothing in this league to warrant a big time contract not to mention give up high draft picks

He is an upgrade over our RB's, Barlow/Houston/Blaylock cannot get 6YPC with the Chargers Oline... and they did also have a rookie ( a good one though) at LT

Also this myth about his carries always being late in the game is wrong, he gets carries at all times during the games... LT is superhuman but he also needs to breathe...

Turner has proven more than any other RB in the draft that would be taken that early AND he is NFL ready....

lets see 9 games this year he had 8 carries or less and 3 games he did not play in..and that proves what?

He had the best player in football playing ahead of him, just to get the carries he did is impressive... what did you think he was going to do? Steal Carries from LT????

to me a proven back is a guy that has labored 25 carries a game for a couple of games. Hell the same argument was probably made for Lamont Jordan before he left

Turner is not a "proven"starter in the NFL... but he has proven more than any other RB that would be available for the pick we would trade for him...

What draft pick would you use on him? And how could you justify him as being of less value than all of the players picked before him this year?

Throw Turner into the mix with this years draft, wouldnt you say he is in the top 40 players talent wise??

I know he isnt in this years draft, but since we are using picks to get him... imagine where you would draft him if he was in this group...

to me a proven back is a guy that has labored 25 carries a game for a couple of games. Hell the same argument was probably made for Lamont Jordan before he left

is it the best indicator though 4H? What would you think of a back that had a game like this?

On 11/14/05 in a 20-27 loss to New Orleans this guy's stats were;

33 Att. 186 Yrds 5.6 YPC 24 Long 1 TD..........his name?

Derrick Blaylock

exactly my point Sofla we are willing to give up a draft pick or 2 and sign the guy to a nice contract based on what? Schotty's opinion? the problem I have with giving up a 1 or 2 is that based on trades in the past marquee players or "gamebreakers" have gone in this range..the Owens, J Abes, Moss etc is this guy a true gamebreaker? right now he is a back up. I am not saying I am against the player but just trying to be a tad skeptical

exactly my point Sofla we are willing to give up a draft pick or 2 and sign the guy to a nice contract based on what? Schotty's opinion? the problem I have with giving up a 1 or 2 is that based on trades in the past marquee players or "gamebreakers" have gone in this range..the Owens, J Abes, Moss etc is this guy a true gamebreaker? right now he is a back up. I am not saying I am against the player but just trying to be a tad skeptical

I'll tell ya this much 4H-I trust this regime over the last one in assessing talent-they were SO wrong on Blaylock.If Tangini thinks it's a good move to trade for Turner I'm all for it-if no move IS made I'll not criticize them either...they've built up some leeway capitol with the job they did last season for us.

I loved what Parcells did when he brought Curtis Martin here-maybe we can hit again on Turner

I agree Sofla in terms of draft they did fairly well but free agent moves were basically ugly...I have faith as well but not opposed to bringing up the other side on players

I think Turner could Bomb here, but anyone could... I would rather not risk a late first rounder on a rookie and hope we get lucky (Mangold) I would rather spend it on a guy who has NFL game experience (including playoffs) and who Shotty knows...

We will see though, I trust Tangini for the most part...

so why not go for a proven guy like Thomas Jones for a lesser pick and get best available in the first round?

He is 28-29 years old and has some miles on him... I wouldnt be opposed to him but I still think Turner is the better option long term.

I agree Sofla in terms of draft they did fairly well but free agent moves were basically ugly...I have faith as well but not opposed to bringing up the other side on players

yea Kimo was a bust and Schlegel hasn't panned out....yet-I'm holding out hope-Barlow won't be back (I hope-give me Houston as #3) but I'd give them a B on the job done in '06

Who is this guy Tuner in the picture, I thought this was a Michael Turner thread.? And why would a picture of him getting tackled make us want him?

HE is plowing that guy over, not being tackled...

What do you mean Tuner?;)

I understand where you're coming from the Jordan situation is a little different. Schott was a SD coach. It's not nothing. Also, I defy you to name 5 people on planet earth that currently would NOT be in a backup role if on the Chargers with LT. If he couldn't beat out Deshaun Foster then I'd agree 100% with you.

I'm not saying throw caution to the wind. I hate the idea of giving up a late first-round draft pick (and the relative-bargain, 5-year contract that accompanies him). If we pull the trigger, I'll just have to have faith that Schott knows the goods when he sees it. And having LT on their team is exactly what I'd call a good measuring stick to go by.

I think Turner could Bomb here, but anyone could... I would rather not risk a late first rounder on a rookie and hope we get lucky (Mangold) I would rather spend it on a guy who has NFL game experience (including playoffs) and who Shotty knows...

We will see though, I trust Tangini for the most part...

i'd also like to see a RB that hasn't ALWAYS been behind the best O-line in the league. every time the bastard gets the ball, they are thoroughly worked over by LT.

He's as unproven as a patriot fan in the sack.

technically Turner did better than LT last year when he did get the chance to run the ball (6 yards per carry) ;)

I'd give up our 2nd second round pick (#57 overall?).

Maybe that pick and another late rounder.

This guy has never proven he can carry the load. He could be another Lamont Jordan. A great back up but only an average starter. I like Turner but only at the right price. We need those first 2 picks to grab some defense.

I'd give up our 2nd second round pick (#57 overall?).

Maybe that pick and another late rounder.

This guy has never proven he can carry the load. He could be another Lamont Jordan. A great back up but only an average starter. I like Turner but only at the right price. We need those first 2 picks to grab some defense.

He has proven more than any other RB in the draft, he has NFL game experience including the playoffs, and his legs are fresh. He is fast enough to return kicks and powerfull enough to run someone over...

The whole "proven" thing is stupid, should we waste our 1st round pick on anyone?? They arent proven, they have never played a snap in the NFL... Dbrick and Mangold COULD HAVE been busts...

Turner is less risky than taking a guy who has never stepped foot in an NFL locker room.

Archived