A-Rod ends relationship with memorabilia company

Smizzy

No sale

A-Rod ends relationship with memorabilia company

Posted: Friday April 29, 2005 8:41PM; Updated: Friday April 29, 2005 8:45PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- An angry Alex Rodriguez ended his relationship with a memorabilia company called Arod Authenticated on Friday, saying it was selling autographed baseballs without his permission.

The company was hocking balls commemorating Rodriguez's big game Tuesday night, when he had three home runs and 10 RBIs against the Los Angeles Angels. For $399 each, the balls featured A-Rod's signature and his stat line from the game -- and only 113 were available, the Daily News reported Friday.

The New York Yankees' All-Star third baseman was criticized on talk radio all afternoon for trying to cash in on his big game as quickly as possible.

"That to me is one of the most special nights of my career," Rodriguez said. "I'm not here to capitalize on any game or season, I'm here to play baseball."

Rodriguez said he never told the company it could put the balls up for sale, and he got upset when he was told about it before Friday night's game against Toronto.

"When someone does something without my consent and my permission, to me it's the wrong thing to do," he said. "Because of that, I've taken immediate action."

A phone message left by The Associated Press with Arod Authenticated in Clearwater, Fla., was not immediately returned.

Rodriguez said he did not plan to pursue legal action against the company. He thinks cutting off ties will send a strong enough message.

"From this point forward," Rodriguez said, "there is no Arod Authenticated."

Rodriguez, who will earn a $25.7 million salary this season, said he wasn't sure how much money he would sacrifice by terminating his agreement with Arod Authenticated.

Only freaks and whores buy this sh*t anyway, so I don't blame ARod for sqeezing every nickel he can out of the memorabilia freaks. That said, I remember the Mets not signing him because he wanted his own memorabilia tent outside of the urinal that is Shea Stadium. Ahhhh how I miss Steve Phillips.

Once again, Tommy nailed this one out of the park! Anyone who buys balls this crap that may or may not be legit is a fool and deserves to get ripped off. I wouldnt give you 5 cents for Curt Schilling's bloody sock!

A fool and his money are soon parted!

That said, at some point in his life, A-rod is going to have to demonstrate some class if he ever wants mainstream observers to have his back.

I wonder how much he sold the ball that Mike Timlin struck him out with in game 5.

And I might lay out a few hundred for the Arroyo slap ball. Or the Hamburger Helper mitt he used to slap at Arroyo

Archived