nugents leg strength...

jetgreen13

...i know, another nugent thread. please hear me out boys, i'll get right to the point.

how is it possible that so many have a major difference of opinion on nugents leg strength. we all know about him being money on 50+ yard FG's. but it seems (depending on what you read or who you talk to) it's a coin flip on how he is on kickoffs.

having not watched very much of the kid myself, i was happy to get my hands on a extensive highlight reel of nugent. maybe the kid was kicking with a 15 mile per hour tail winds or something. but he's killing the ball on kickoffs in these highlights. 5, 8 & 12 yards past the goal. one time, he blasted what would have been a FG. cept' he was kickin off of course.

even with the shorter collegiate distance for kickoffs, i came away from this video thinking the guy has booming leg on him...i'm i missing something???

He got about 60-70% of his kickoffs at Ohio State in or out of the endzone for touchbacks, I can't see why he couldn't do that in the pro's, especially after doing it in that crap-hole of a stadium.

Granted in college you are given 5 more yards but what's the worse scenario then? 5 yard line or in the endzone? Still better then Doug to the 15 or 20 Brien.

He got about 60-70% of his kickoffs at Ohio State in or out of the endzone for touchbacks, I can't see why he couldn't do that in the pro's, especially after doing it in that crap-hole of a stadium.

Granted in college you are given 5 more yards but what's the worse scenario then? 5 yard line or in the endzone? Still better then Doug to the 15 or 20 Brien.

so 124, why do you think so many b*tch & moan about his kickoffs??

so 124, why do you think so many b*tch & moan about his kickoffs??

I really have no clue man. I've watched a lot of Nugent being a Michigan and just an overall big time Big 10 fan and I havn't seen why he can't be a successful kickoff kicker in the NFL as well as a great FG kicker, I may be wrong, but to me, I think he could at least get 30-40 perecent as touchbacks up in the NFL, and that's downgrading his college stats by 20-30 percent just becaues of 5 years. We shall see in the end but maybe I'm just being biased because I'm a huge Nugent fan / supporter, but I think he can be both a clutch / great FG kicker and a pretty damn good KO man.

Rookie kickers struggle coming into the NFL because the ball has a different circumference and thus a different 'sweet spot'. It's like going from hitting a baseball off a tee to hitting a golf ball off a tee. Plus, with the new rules banning the use of a 'kicking ball' in the NFL which used to be over-inflated by about 10 PSI, it's just a different world for these kids. In college, Nugent was kicking a beach ball. In the NFL, he's kicking a salami.

I don't know what the difference is between college and NFL but I'm not exaggerating much when I say nearly every single collegiate game has a kicker that absolutely booms the ball out of the back of the endzone. I have watched Kris Brown and Josh Brown both launch countless balls through the uprights on kickoffs at Nebraska but neither are known for their big kickoff legs in the pros.

I don't know what the difference is between college and NFL but I'm not exaggerating much when I say nearly every single collegiate game has a kicker that absolutely booms the ball out of the back of the endzone. I have watched Kris Brown and Josh Brown both launch countless balls through the uprights on kickoffs at Nebraska but neither are known for their big kickoff legs in the pros.

I remember watching the highlights on George Michael's Sports Machine maybe ten years ago, and he was showing these two high school kids rocking 65 yard field goals in the same game against each other. Kicking that ball versus the pro ball is a world of difference, especially when you let some air out of it.

And as far as a Nebraska kicker, they just probably warned the kid that they'd strip his booster money for the week if he didn't put it through the end zone.

Archived