Barbaro Euthanised

Verde

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This horse lost his life not by his own choice, but so people with extra income could waste it betting on horse racing... its really sad...

Race cars, not horses... Horse racing is out-dated and cruel to the animals

Very large numbers must be produced annually to generate a few fast ones to be selected to compete. Of the many thousands bred to race, very few make the grade. The rest must be disposed of.

During training or racing, injuries are common. Injured horses are also euthanized or sold from one owner to another into increasingly worse conditions.

When race horses have finished their career - usually at a very early age, before they are fully mature - they, too, must be disposed of. Their numbers exceed by far the number of humane retirement facilities.

campaign_racing1.jpgcampaign_racing4.jpg

I feel terrible for Barbaro, but I wish it would have helped show people how bad horse racing is and feel bad for the hundreds of other horses that die every year becuase of it...

This horse lost his life not by his own choice, but so people with extra income could waste it betting on horse racing... its really sad...

I feel terrible for Barbaro, but I wish it would have helped show people how bad horse racing is and feel bad for the hundreds of other horses that die every year becuase of it...

I agree 100%. I hope they realize what is happening to these poor animals in order to make a profit. I hope he wasn't in pain when they let him go this morning.

RIP

I get your point but wanna clear up 1 misconception. lotsa folks without extra income bet on horses too.

Ugh. At least they went to bat for him. I have mixed emotions about the sport, though, that's for sure.

yeah, i've been a horseracing fan for many years but this is the 1st time I've ever given thought to " how do the horses feel about this sport?

I'm thinkin lots of em might be ok with it considering the potential post racing benefits of boinking, boinking & more boinking

They should have put him down a long time ago. Needless pain and suffering, and for what? It's shameful enough that people cause each other pain - but animals have no choice in the matter. It's selfish.

Great Point.

Why did he deserve this? And the sick thing is I heard some people actually feeling abd for the owner and the amount of money spent on this horse... F*ck the owner I hope he lost a LOT of money...

race cars kill animals too...just like any type of "power plant"

and most race cars use hyped up fuel that is VERY bad for the environment and all the animals that have to breathe it in...

yeah, i've been a horseracing fan for many years but this is the 1st time I've ever given thought to " how do the horses feel about this sport?

I'm thinkin lots of em might be ok with it considering the potential post racing benefits of boinking, boinking & more boinking

I'm not personifying a horse's thought process. Give me a break.

How sad. RIP Big Fella

They should have put him down a long time ago. Needless pain and suffering, and for what? It's shameful enough that people cause each other pain - but animals have no choice in the matter. It's selfish.

It is always a tough call to put an animal down. In essence, you are their guardian/spokesman. It's not always easy to let go, and if you think you sense a will to live in the animal's eyes, you dont make that decision hastily.

How sad. RIP Big Fella

It is always a tough call to put an animal down. In essence, you are their guardian/spokesman. It's not always easy to let go, and if you think you sense a will to live in the animal's eyes, you dont make that decision hastily.

definitely! in fact you could make a case that a human shouldn't be making the life/death decision for the animal anyways...

How sad. RIP Big Fella

animal rights activists & haters may not agree with this but I really think the owners did everything possible in the best interest of barbaro. It really is a sad story from the moment he broke out of the gates until now.

animal rights activists & haters may not agree with this but I really think the owners did everything possible in the best interest of barbaro. It really is a sad story from the moment he broke out of the gates until now.

It was the owners fault he broke his leg to begin with, the right decision would be not to force the horse to race.

The owner is a scumbag.

It was the owners fault he broke his leg to begin with, the right decision would be not to force the horse to race.

The owner is a scumbag.

this is true...and i agree with you for the most part...

but on the other hand, many of these animals LOVE to race. and they would be running around racing each other in the wild anyways. something wild horses are known to do.

The owner is a scumbag.

we could go back & forth forever & get nowhere but i'm of the opinion that the owners do not think horseracing is a cruel sport. I know little about what goes on in the whole process but I hear of few injuries of this magnitude in the sport.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

That sounds like it was a reasonable plan. He had a bad setback over the weekend, which set this in motion. They didnt wait very long after this recent setback to do it. Most animal owners would do the same thing. Giving the guy eight months of top medical treatment and rehab to try to save his life was certainly not cruel. It is so hard to know when it is the right thing to do.

What a terrible breakdown on the track this great horse had. It was very sad to see. RIP Barbaro.

That sounds like it was a reasonable plan. He had a bad setback over the weekend, which set this in motion. They didnt wait very long after this recent setback to do it. Most animal owners would do the same thing. Giving the guy eight months of top medical treatment and rehab to try to save his life was certainly not cruel. It is so hard to know when it is the right thing to do.

What a terrible breakdown on the track this great horse had. It was very sad to see. RIP Barbaro.

well put cane, my sentiments exactly.

we could go back & forth forever & get nowhere but i'm of the opinion that the owners do not think horseracing is a cruel sport. I know little about what goes on in the whole process but I hear of few injuries of this magnitude in the sport.

Good for them...

They work horses to the point where the stress level is HUGE

They whip the horses to make them run faster against their will

Many horses die do to the sport, not all in races but a lot becuase there isnt enough farms to take on horses that werent good enough or retired...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing

I think this is Jockeys and Horses...

Fatality rates per 100,000 participants

1. Horse racing: 128
  2. Sky diving: 123
  3. Hang gliding: 56
  4. Mountaineering: 51
  5. Scuba Diving: 11
  6. Motorcycle racing: 7
  7. College Football: 3
  8. Boxing: 1.3

Fact is, Horse racing is an old time sport and it is way out of date. Its not right to treat animals that way, it just isnt. DO you think greyhound racing is ok too??

How about the fact that hundreds of horses are bred to make a few good racing horses... can you guess what happens to the others?? Most are killed becuase they arent good enough... some go to farms...

The fact that you feel at all bad for the owners or think they are at all in the right is really just sick...

Instead of getting all caught up in the history of it and the cool effect it ahs when on TV... check out a site like this or others...

http://www.horseracingkills.org

Good for them...

They work horses to the point where the stress level is HUGE

They whip the horses to make them run faster against their will

Many horses die do to the sport, not all in races but a lot becuase there isnt enough farms to take on horses that werent good enough or retired...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing

I think this is Jockeys and Horses...

Fact is, Horse racing is an old time sport and it is way out of date. Its not right to treat animals that way, it just isnt. DO you think greyhound racing is ok too??

How about the fact that hundreds of horses are bred to make a few good racing horses... can you guess what happens to the others?? Most are killed becuase they arent good enough... some go to farms...

The fact that you feel at all bad for the owners or think they are at all in the right is really just sick...

Instead of getting all caught up in the history of it and the cool effect it ahs when on TV... check out a site like this or others...

http://www.horseracingkills.org

I stand corrected, we will not go back & forth again on this topic. I get your point. don't get all worked up about it on my account.

re greyhounds: my stance is consistant with horses, dogs & buses ;)

I have zero regard for the electronic rabbit though.

I stand corrected, we will not go back & forth again on this topic. I get your point. don't get all worked up about it on my account.

re greyhounds: my stance is consistant with horses, dogs & buses ;)

I have zero regard for the electronic rabbit though.

Its fine, I have a family friend who has a horse farm... I get a little defensive...

They do not sell their horses for racing... they just enjoy having them on the farm

Archived