Bears | Briggs not a fan of the 3-4 defense

Smizzy

Bears | Briggs not a fan of the 3-4 defense

Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:48:24 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs was asked if he could envision himself playing in a 3-4 defense. "The 3-4 is a whole different scheme," Briggs said. When asked if he liked the scheme, Briggs said: "Not really." He did play in the middle of a 3-4 at the University of Arizona, but believes he is a better fir in the 4-3 defense. "It allows me to play ball, the weakside position in this defensive scheme, you're kind of called on to make play after play after play," Briggs added. Briggs is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Ehhh.

I don't think he will have problems raising his price tag by not liking the 3-4, the majority of the league plays the 4-3 anyway. If you've got the right players, the 4-3 is generally a more idiot proof system, hence why Hermy had good defenses. The 3-4 allows you to gameplan better, but if your gameplan is wrong you get ripped, it's extremely coach dependant, and you still need the right (smart and usually big) players to run it. It's too bad Vilma is small, or he could really have helped make our defense truly elite with his intelligence. I don't really know how much impact the MLB can have in the 3-4 though even if he was big enough, usually the OLB generate pressure and make the plays, but, meh.