Super Bowl III DVD??

GLH222

I have been scowering the internet for two days now, ebay, CL, you name it...trying to find someone selling a converted DVD of Super Bowl III. No luck. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age there is no way to find a copy of this game out there somewhere. Does anyone anyone know of where/how I could go about finding a copy??

I have been scowering the internet for two days now, ebay, CL, you name it...trying to find someone selling a converted DVD of Super Bowl III. No luck. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age there is no way to find a copy of this game out there somewhere. Does anyone anyone know of where/how I could go about finding a copy??

While we're at this I would like a copy of the Jets v. Phins game in 1986 when my man Wesley caught the game tying and winning touchdowns and Kenny O and Marino threw for like a 1000 yards.

Maybe there should be a special 'room' on Jetnation for hard to find items like this. You could call it the "The Green Door" or something creative and never used before like that.;)

NFL network is rebroadcasting the game Sat Feb 3rd at 8:00pm.

I thought that there were no copies of Super Bowl III in its entirety in existence?

I have a full length copy of the MNF game in 1986 when Namath's number was retired.

There is a version out there in some "circles".

That version has the entire game minus the Colts TD drive for whatever reason.

OK because I remember seeing sometime back a show about how this games only full copy was lost. And the others were burned in a fire or something to that effect.

OK because I remember seeing sometime back a show about how this games only full copy was lost. And the others were burned in a fire or something to that effect.

The only Super Bowls that I know of that were destroyed or taped over were the first two super bowls. Even the Museum of TV and Broadcasting doesn't have those.

Everything else except most of Super Bowl V is out there.

Ebay used to have alot of games but the NFL cracked down on them in I would say the last six months so that resource has vanished.

NFL network is rebroadcasting the game Sat Feb 3rd at 8:00pm.

Get those dvd recorders ready!

Remember, copyright law allows individuals to make copies of what is shown on tv for personal use. In other words, as long as you just watch it and enjoy it you can copy the broadcast on Feb. 3, just don't go burning copies and try to sell them as that would be illegal.

Remember, copyright law allows individuals to make copies of what is shown on tv for personal use. In other words, as long as you just watch it and enjoy it you can copy the broadcast on Feb. 3, just don't go burning copies and try to sell them as that would be illegal.

Not that we would ever do anything illegal here. :P

not according to the article i posted above.

"A few hours go by; it's finally the Jets calling me back. Their suggestion: call Patrick Pantano at NFL Films! I feel like Bill Murray in the movie, Groundhog Day. But as it turned out, NFL Films did have some interesting information when they called again.

No, Mr. Pantano said, Super Bowl III is not available, but there is a copy of the broadcast in our vault. He wasn't sure exactly why it had never been released, but speculated that it was a copyright issue. I should talk to NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky at the NFL in Manhattan. And this is where my search came to an abrupt halt. My legal search, that is.

As Mr. Polanky explained, Mr. Pantano's speculation was accurate. Because Super Bowl III took place seven years before the current copyright law was enacted (in 1976), nobody owns the broadcast of the game. And there, sports fans, is the answer. It's the lawyers. Don’t get me started."

Not that we would ever do anything illegal here. :P

Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttt. (said with the voice of the principal from "Wildcats" - Wesley Snipes' best movie to date!).

Seriously though, I am going out and buying a dvd recorder and getting a copy done.

I just got a copy of the game on yahoo auctions this weekend. It was delivered last night, what a nostalgia trip it was seeing that game again. There are copies out there, don't give up looking.

Why doesn't NFL Films just sell these games. The NBA and other sports sell full copies of TV broadcasts of certain major games. The NFL can do the same with all SB games, what would they lose??

In all honesty no one ever really thought that this kind of product would sell.

If you take a look the past two years though things have changed.

MLB: Has DVD series with complete games now featuring The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Cardinals, Pirates and White Sox

NBA: You have boxed sets with complete games of the Bulls, Lakers, Pistons, Knicks

NHL: Rangers, Red Wings

The NFL Is the only group that hasn't been able to come up with this. I think part of it is because alot of was taped over by the networks. (Super Bowl 1 and 2 don't exist because the networks just used tapes over and over.

There is a ton of old stuff out there though. Ebay was good place but the NFL I think came down on them so that avenue is closed.

As far as NFL films is concerned, I don't believe that they have the network broadcasts (i.e CBS, NBC or ABC) of these games. They do have the film that they would shoot during the games but like alot of "NFL Greatest Games" series that they put out a few years ago they dub it with the radio broadcast of the game and then add their own commentary.

I have a complete copy of SB III that I got years ago, commercials included. However, it's on old VHS and the quality is not optimal.

I'm sure the NFL Network rebroadcast will be much better quality.

Looking forward to that.

Incidentally, NFL Network has been replaying full SB games all week. There a re a few on Saturday besides the Jets game.

check out the TV Schedule at NFL Network website ... link below

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/schedule

MLB: Has DVD series with complete games now featuring The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Cardinals, Pirates and White Sox

NBA: You have boxed sets with complete games of the Bulls, Lakers, Pistons, Knicks

The NFL Is the only group that hasn't been able to come up with this. I think part of it is because alot of was taped over by the networks. (Super Bowl 1 and 2 don't exist because the networks just used tapes over and over.

There is a ton of old stuff out there though. Ebay was good place but the NFL I think came down on them so that avenue is closed.

As far as NFL films is concerned, I don't believe that they have the network broadcasts (i.e CBS, NBC or ABC) of these games. They do have the film that they would shoot during the games but like alot of "NFL Greatest Games" series that they put out a few years ago they dub it with the radio broadcast of the game and then add their own commentary.

Thanks for the explanation, Shawn, i was wondering about all that. I actually have the entire set of Super Bowl highlights (which includes some regular season highlights) from NFL films, from the first SB all the way down to XL.

I have a complete copy of SB III that I got years ago, commercials included. However, it's on old VHS and the quality is not optimal.

I'm sure the NFL Network rebroadcast will be much better quality.

Looking forward to that.

Incidentally, NFL Network has been replaying full SB games all week. There a re a few on Saturday besides the Jets game.

check out the TV Schedule at NFL Network website ... link below

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/schedule

I hope that Super Bowl III is complete. I watched Super Bowl XIII last week and they cut out like the last 3 minutes of the first half where the Steelers scored on a pass to Rocky Bleier.

I Tivo'ed Super Bowl XXV and that one seems to be complete.

I really hope that the viewer response to this is good. Maybe during the off season NFL Network could do something like MNF Classics or even when the playoffs start show some of the great playoff games.

I would love to see great playoff games like the 1974 Miami-Oakland game, 1977 Raiders at Colts, or 1981 San Diego-Miami classic.

"No, Mr. Pantano said, Super Bowl III is not available, but there is a copy of the broadcast in our vault. He wasn't sure exactly why it had never been released, but speculated that it was a copyright issue. I should talk to NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky at the NFL in Manhattan. And this is where my search came to an abrupt halt. My legal search, that is."

"No, Mr. Pantano said, Super Bowl III is not available, but there is a copy of the broadcast in our vault. He wasn't sure exactly why it had never been released, but speculated that it was a copyright issue. I should talk to NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky at the NFL in Manhattan. And this is where my search came to an abrupt halt. My legal search, that is."

If that was the case then why wouldn't they have all the Super Bowls including Super Bowl I and II ?

I think the guy who wrote the story was basically lied to.

The NFL Films library is HUGE. They have been doing games since the early 60's. Stuff that they have never even used was used recently in their "Lost Treasures" Series.

Once again the question needs to be asked. If they "Had the Super Bowl III original broadcast where are I and II ?

If that was the case then why wouldn't they have all the Super Bowls including Super Bowl I and II ?

I think the guy who wrote the story was basically lied to.

The NFL Films library is HUGE. They have been doing games since the early 60's. Stuff that they have never even used was used recently in their "Lost Treasures" Series.

Once again the question needs to be asked. If they "Had the Super Bowl III original broadcast where are I and II ?

this article is only about SBIII. SBIII tape exists and will be shown in Feb.

this article is only about SBIII. SBIII tape exists and will be shown in Feb.

I know that. I have my Tivo already set up for it.

My hope is that they show some more of this stuff in the future. :)

I just think the guy who wrote the article was basically getting the run around from everybody.

• 11 months later...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E01EFD71639F93AA3575AC0A961958260

Super Bowl III Revisited, on ESPN

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

Published: September 9, 1997

In 1969 Steve Sabol produced a 22-minute review of Super Bowl III for NFL Films. In his pro-National Football League stance, Sabol focused more on the sore-armed Johnny Unitas's valiant effort to rally Baltimore than on how the Jets made good on Joe Namath's victory guarantee and beat the Colts, 16-7.

Sabol, the president of NFL Films, confessed: ''It was a cinematic triumph, but as a sports documentary, it was a disaster. I was so biased toward the Colts that I didn't use the good Jets stuff.''

After the game, Namath turned his back on the NFL Films cameraman in the winners' locker room.

''We were the N.F.L.,'' Sabol said. ''We got a lot of good shots of Joe's father. It took Joe five or six years before he would talk to us.'' (Now, Namath is one of the best yarn spinners for NFL Films' productions, proving that storytelling is different from television analysis, never Namath's strong suit.)

Now, Sabol feels redeemed. He has dipped into his trove of unused celluloid to create a film that resurrects virtually every play in Super Bowl III, and serves as the worthy debut of a new ESPN series called ''N.F.L.'s Greatest Games.'' The Jets-Colts game -- with Curt Gowdy recreating his play-by-play role -- will be shown tonight at 8. The next resurrection in the series, the Green Bay-Dallas Ice Bowl of Dec. 31, 1967, will be shown on Sept. 23.

At a reception of former Jets and Colts last week to promote the film, each side talked about the confidence level it felt going into Super Bowl III.

''Our biggest mistake is, we believed what we heard, that the N.F.L. couldn't lose to an A.F.L. team,'' John Mackey, the Colts' tight end, said.

Weeb Ewbank, the Jets' coach, recalled that Pete Lammons, the tight end, told him to stop showing game tapes of the Colts, saying, '' 'Weeb, you've got us convinced.' ''

Too bad this took 28 years, just as it took decades for the ''lost'' episodes of ''The Honeymooners'' to reappear from Jackie Gleason's vault. It's a long overdue chance to see more than those overused clips of Matt Snell running over left tackle into the end zone and Namath wagging his right forefinger in triumph. No network tape of the game seems to exist, but, showing foresight, the Jets hired someone to film the game off a television set and recently gave taped copies to the members of the first Super Bowl championship team from the A.F.L.

This is grand, belated fun. Now, you sense the flow of the game, how Namath easily read the Colts' blitzes to ravage their secondary, how Jets cornerback Johnny Sample stepped on Tom Matte's crotch after Matte's 58-yard run, and how the Colts' starting quarterback, Earl Morrall, missed Jimmy Orr, wide open in the end zone, waving for the ball. Matte speculates that the Colts' band, lining up behind the end zone, masked Orr from Morrall's view.

The film is also a reminder that the Colts recovered an onside kick after scoring a touchdown on a Jerry Hill run to move within 16-7. ''Boy, that got me angry,'' Namath says in the film, ''and it got us very concerned.''

Besides the plays, there are the sidelights: Ewbank, who let cameras come right up to him, chatting with Namath and Snell; Namath's audible frustration at Jim Turner's missed field-goal attempt; a clip of the halftime show, in which people dressed as giant footballs marched behind a giant cake, and a quick cameo by the youthful Buddy Ryan, a Jets assistant coach. Said Sample, ''Buddy Ryan was the one woofing all week that these guys can't beat you.''

I believe the original tapes were lost or stolen. But it looks like there is something that exists. I would love to see it myself.

The "America's Game" show on NFLN of the Super Bowl III Jets is really good. Footage of The Game, footage from each game of the season and the AFL Championship against the Raiders. Wacky thing-if there was video replay, whop knows if the Jets go? Namath completed a long pass to Sauer down the sideline that was really questionable on their winning drive, but they simply spotted the ball and ran a play.I don't know when it's next on, but it's on my DVR permanently.

The "America's Game" show on NFLN of the Super Bowl III Jets is really good. Footage of The Game, footage from each game of the season and the AFL Championship against the Raiders. Wacky thing-if there was video replay, whop knows if the Jets go? Namath completed a long pass to Sauer down the sideline that was really questionable on their winning drive, but they simply spotted the ball and ran a play.I don't know when it's next on, but it's on my DVR permanently.

happens all the time

wanna know what was REALLY questionable? a certain "tuck" against the Raiders

Well it looks like the NFL finally got the message.

51s%2Bb2GgI3L._SS260_.jpg

The original broadcast of the 1980 NFC Championship

51ICLalhOiL._AA240_.jpg

Cleveland Browns

It looks like they also have the 1992 Oilers-Bills playoff game out there and a set commemerating the 1985 Bears.

Now if they could just find those missing minutes of Super Bowl III

• 9 months later...
  • 10 years later...

I don't know if you ever got a satisfactory reply to your query, but there is a dvd available that includes the complete telecast of Super Bowl III.  It's called "New York Jets: The Complete History. "  It's a two-dvd set and one dvd is a video history of the Jets.  The second disc has the complete telecast without commercials.  Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Jets-Complete-History/dp/B000PY52DQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548265998&sr=8-3&keywords=the+history+of+the+new+york+jets

37 minutes ago, Robert Dini said:

I don't know if you ever got a satisfactory reply to your query, but there is a dvd available that includes the complete telecast of Super Bowl III.  It's called "New York Jets: The Complete History. "  It's a two-dvd set and one dvd is a video history of the Jets.  The second disc has the complete telecast without commercials.  Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Jets-Complete-History/dp/B000PY52DQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548265998&sr=8-3&keywords=the+history+of+the+new+york+jets

Believe it or not that DVD was very new then. I remember getting it for Christmas back in 2008 and it was brand new. Watched it a lot back then now I can't find it unfortunately. 

Archived