So is Bryan Thomas a bust?

RichardSeymour

Actually that's why I ask.

It's certainly at least possible that even a player with that low sack total wouldn't be a bust...

4-3 DEs, particularly 1st rounders are expected to put up sacks.... but hey, maybe Thomas has been unlucky, gets a lot of pressures, plays the run like a demon, and may be a mild disappointment but not a bust.

I'm asking, not announcing. If Bitonti, Ham, Warfish, and YJF all drop into this thread firmly insisting Thomas isn't a bust, I won't be arguing....

He's not a bust because he's a pretty good player. The stats are deceiving to a degree, but also telling in terms of what he needs to do. He needs to start finishing. That may happen.

He's been stout against the run and uses his hands well. He has had a fair amount of pressures and is around the ball. He played a big part in our playoff games and stretch run.

It's hard to totally gauge his play because of who he's playing behind. I think he's becoming a bigger part of the rotation.

I suppose that he's failed to live up to his first round status, but he's not a bust. IMO, guys like RJ Soward and Derek Brown are busts.

I agree with BIT! We have two part time DEs. JA and BT. Bt plays the run well and puts heat on the QB often. JA gets stuffed when teams run at him but he is great when pursuing RBs running away from him. He gets sacks against weaker OTs and then gets silent for a few games and then DOES NOT PLAY in the RAIN! And some think BT is a bust! LOL I wonder if BT was a full time player and developed chemistry with his linemates if he would get more sacks but hey we nearly won two playoff games last year with BT playing while JA was afraid of playing in the rain. He did not want to jeapordize his future financial considerations. Yes, teams sure can win with a selfish player like tha but some want to label a TEAM player a bust because he gets pressures and not sacks! [-X

when you factor in the fact that we could have drafted Ed Reed DPOY instead of our 3rd 1st round DE in two years you have to admit that that was flat out a busted pick. So whenever i think of BT i think about Ed Reed and then im just depressed. so as far as im concerned BT is a bust of Ryan Leaf caliber. Dumbest Jets pick in franchise history IMO... well maybe not in franchise history but a terrible pick anyways

when you factor in the fact that we could have drafted Ed Reed DPOY instead of our 3rd 1st round DE in two years you have to admit that that was flat out a busted pick. So whenever i think of BT i think about Ed Reed and then im just depressed. so as far as im concerned BT is a bust of Ryan Leaf caliber. Dumbest Jets pick in franchise history IMO... well maybe not in franchise history but a terrible pick anyways

I evaluate things differently. Was it a bad pick...YES. Is he a bust....NO.

He is a marginal player that MAY eventually be declared a bust if he doesn't step up and produce (more sacks). But I am not ready to call him a bust yet.

Archived