NFL Draft Countdown- top 10 college prospects for 2006

faba

Early Top 10 for 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

It is never too early to look ahead and while it is still very preliminary here is a look at the top ten senior prospects for the 2006 NFL Draft. Look for the '06 crop to be far superior to this years class, headlined by one of the best group of offensive tackles we have seen in a long, long time.

* Listed in Alphabetical Order*

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

A potential franchise left tackle with tremendous feet and athleticism who had he entered the '05 NFL Draft probably would have gone either #2 overall to Miami or #3 overall to Cleveland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa

One of the top defensive playmakers in college football, this guy reminds some of a young Brian Urlacher and may have been the first linebacker selected in 2005 had he come out after his junior season.

A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St.

A guy who doesn't get as much press as he probably should but he is extremely productive, a leader and wowed scouts when ran in the 4.4 range at the Buckeyes Pro Day workout recently.

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

An amazing physical specimen at 6-7 and 261 lbs. as well as a tremendous athlete, he only needs to continue developing and show a little more consistency to be an elite pass rusher at the next level.

Matt Leinart, QB, USC

The Heisman Trophy winner who went back to school despite talk that he would have been a lock for the #1 overall pick in '05. Will he be able to overcome the loss of Norm Chow though?

Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

Massive run blocker who also more than holds his own in pass protection, he will be in the mix to be one of the top offensive tackles selected come next April. Keep an eye on him next season.

Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas

The next in a long line of top Longhorn offensive tackles, this guy has the type of feet and athleticism to be a very high draft pick at left tackle with a strong senior campaign in Austin.

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

Would probably have been the fourth running back selected had he come out after his junior season, this guy doesn't get nearly the attention he deserves and is the top senior runner by a wide margin.

Eric Winston, OT, Miami (FL)

Is coming off a knee injury and if it weren't for that he may have been a top pick in the '05 NFL Draft. A former tight end in the mold of Robert Gallery and he may even have a higher upside.

Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas

This guy has all the tools you look for in a stud interior lineman but didn't play up to them as a junior, although injuries may have had something to do with that. Could rise with a big senior season.

Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

Massive run blocker who also more than holds his own in pass protection, he will be in the mix to be one of the top offensive tackles selected come next April. Keep an eye on him next season.

This is THE guy, that if a sh*tty team like the Bears calls and wants to deal their 06 number one and two for John Abe, you take it. He's 6'9" 350 and RIPPED. His arms are incredibly long and he plays every snap like he's trying to kill someone.

I will be following the play of Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College since my nephew goes to college there- he needs to bulk up some for the NFL I think

next year is the year to be in the market for elite prospects at tackle

I will be following the play of Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College since my nephew goes to college there- he needs to bulk up some for the NFL I think

next year is the year to be in the market for elite prospects at tackle

Word, especially if Adrian Jones isn't the truth at RT and the plan to make him a left tackle fails. I watched Kiwanuka a few times last season and was unimpressed. He's clearly athletic and big, but he seems to have no real idea what he's doing on a football field. He just kind of engages blockers and tries to beat them, without regard for what the play actually is.

Ham can tell ya this

I have been wanting Marcus McNeil to be a NY Jet for a long time

He was the most important part in the success of Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown

HE DOMINATES THE RUNNING GAME LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE

And he has quick enough feet and long enough windspan to be a DOMINANT PASS BLOCKER

This is the type of player you give up 2 1st rd picks and 4th to move up for........

A FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE

Can you say Jonathan Ogden?

Word, especially if Adrian Jones isn't the truth at RT and the plan to make him a left tackle fails.

Even if the Adrian Jones experiment is a success the Jets should seriously think about taking a tackle next year. Jason Fabini played poorly last year and he isn't getting any younger.

I really hope we get 1 of these 4 stud tackles in next years draft (D'brickashaw, McNeil, Scott or Winston)

I don't know anything about Scott, but the other 3 I have all seen play. Winston really moves well and is an excellent pass blocker, too bad he got injured, he's like a frickin pirate.

McNeil is just a complete beast. 6'9 340 and can move fairly well, dominating run blocker

Ferguson: Dominant pass blocker, he'd protect Pennington well 8)

OH and AJ Hawk running a 4.4 is complete bull****, I bet he runs a 4.7 or worse. I watched him play and I think he's rather slow. Who knows, maybe I caught him on a bad day, but NO WAY IN HELL DOES HE RUN A 4.4, that is the biggest load of bull**** since logan manbitch being drafted in the 1st rd.

Ohio State has a notoriously "fast track." Alot of guys run 4.3's there that end up being 4.5 guys elsewhere.

The sick thing about McNeill is that he's still skinny for his size--he still needs to add muscle to his lower body so he could be 360 by the time it's all said and done. Good golly Miss MOlly.

Ohio State has a notoriously "fast track." Alot of guys run 4.3's there that end up being 4.5 guys elsewhere.

The sick thing about McNeill is that he's still skinny for his size--he still needs to add muscle to his lower body so he could be 360 by the time it's all said and done. Good golly Miss MOlly.

The guy is HUGE

Bu the thing I notice is that his ankles belong on a 5-10, 180 lb Joe Blow

The guy is HUGE

Bu the thing I notice is that his ankles belong on a 5-10, 180 lb Joe Blow

You are one sick and deranged bastard. You know that? :lol:

McNeill, when you watch him on TV, looks like hwen you make one of those players on Madden that are 7'2" 400 lbs. with mad quickness. Just freaky. He's still so freaking raw from what I've seen, but he is a real athlete.

You are one sick and deranged bastard. You know that? :lol:

McNeill, when you watch him on TV, looks like hwen you make one of those players on Madden that are 7'2" 400 lbs. with mad quickness. Just freaky. He's still so freaking raw from what I've seen, but he is a real athlete.

Barry Richardson

Tellinya

That's true, he does have rather small ankles for a man his size, but hey, that probalby just makes him quicker when sliding off defensive ends in pass protection

I'm gonna watch as many auburn games as I can next year to get a full indepth scouting report on this guy.

This is a player you trade up using 2 1sts and a 4th.

The true best player in the 2006 NFL Draft:

0101aggies.jpg

Reggie McNeal - QB - Texas A&M

Not too sure about that 124. I've seen EVERY game Reggie has played, most of them in person. Sick athelete, no doubt about that, but he tends to panic. Plus he has nagging shoulder injuries. He has not taken a snap in a while, and I pray he will be ready for Clemson. However, super fast, quick feet, big play ability, big arm, and Vick like are all terms you hear when people speak of this guy. He should have a big year, as A&M brought in some nice recruits and have a few guys coming out of red-shirts. Coach Fran brought in a blue chip TE, something A&M has not had in a while. Hopefully he pans out and us Jets fans can get a steller TE in a few years. Nevertheless, Reggie should have a big year, and will go in round one of the draft.

This is his new weapon:

Martellus Bennett

Tight end

Alief (TX)

Taylor

Height: 6-foot-7

Weight: 237 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.8 seconds

He also is a stud on the court, and was a double recruit for Coach Gilespie

MARTELLUSBENNETT12_8D200.JPGMARTELLUSBENNETT10_26B200.JPG

I really hope we get 1 of these 4 stud tackles in next years draft (D'brickashaw, McNeil, Scott or Winston)

I don't know anything about Scott, but the other 3 I have all seen play. Winston really moves well and is an excellent pass blocker, too bad he got injured, he's like a frickin pirate.

McNeil is just a complete beast. 6'9 340 and can move fairly well, dominating run blocker

Ferguson: Dominant pass blocker, he'd protect Pennington well 8)

OH and AJ Hawk running a 4.4 is complete bull****, I bet he runs a 4.7 or worse. I watched him play and I think he's rather slow. Who knows, maybe I caught him on a bad day, but NO WAY IN HELL DOES HE RUN A 4.4, that is the biggest load of bull**** since logan manbitch being drafted in the 1st rd.

Not for nothing, but I don't want them. Why? Cause, I hope we're picking a bit lower in the first round, is all. If the Jets are picking high enough to have a crack at the elite prospects in this draft, then half of the members of this board will be dead, due to heart attacks they had during the season.

Not for nothing, but I don't want them. Why? Cause, I hope we're picking a bit lower in the first round, is all. If the Jets are picking high enough to have a crack at the elite prospects in this draft, then half of the members of this board will be dead, due to heart attacks they had during the season.

Like I said. You trade up.

^^^^

We need a effin franchise LT to protect our "franchise" quarterback

we have virtually no other glaring holes in our entire team

YOU TRADE UP FOR A FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE

end of story, franchise LTs are worth a premium.

You wouldn't trade 2 1st rd picks for a tony boselli or jonathan ogdens in their prime??

I sure as hell would, also, Winston and D. Ferguson are those kind of talents.

Answer me this honestly... when have you ever seen this team trade up for an offensive lineman? Just because you say we need a 'franchise' left tackle, doesn't make it so. Besides, you're forgetting about the salary cap! The Jets can't afford it! They already have two franchise defensive ends, a franchise quarterback, a running back they're paying an arm and a leg to, a defensive tackle who's being paid like a franchise... what more do you want? Do you want the Jets to end up like the Redskins? Who have two franchise tackles (Samuels and Jansen), among other money pits, and they haven't won squat. Besides that, I thought Adrian Jones was the future?

^^^^

We need a effin franchise LT to protect our "franchise" quarterback

we have virtually no other glaring holes in our entire team

YOU TRADE UP FOR A FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE

end of story, franchise LTs are worth a premium.

You wouldn't trade 2 1st rd picks for a tony boselli or jonathan ogdens in their prime??

I sure as hell would, also, Winston and D. Ferguson are those kind of talents.

What sucks is that their aren't alot of premium skill position players coming out either that would push these top tackles down the board. Chris Leak, Leinart, who else? DeAngelo Williams?

What sucks is that there aren't alot of premium skill position players coming out either that would push these top tackles down the board. Chris Leak, Leinart, who else? DeAngelo Williams?

Gabe Watson! :lol::lol: Michigan DT... man mountain. 6'2"-ish, 330... he dominates three men blocking him, still rushes the passer, and just clogs up the middle, when Michigan plays the 3-4 or the 4-3. Lloyd will/has screw(ed) him up, somehow.

Well the Jets haven't been so close to a superbowl in the past as they are now, so they wouldn't dare consider trading up

The difference between then and now, is exactly that.

IMO, this team is a franchise, shutdown, left tackle away from the Jets getting the lombardi trophy

Adrian Jones? Uh no

I for one, am sick and tired of seeing Pennington getting injured on the field because our tackles can't protect him for more than 4 seconds!

We don't spend any money in free agency, we're not the redskins so relax. And we actually have a QB unlike the skins.

Ya trade up for a franchise left tackle damnit! Pennington is fragile, he needs protection.

Ya cut Fabini next year if ya get 1 of these stud LTs, and thats the bottom line.

I think you are underestimating the importance of having a franchise left tackle :wink:

No, I'm not underestimating. You're overestimating their worth. You don't need someone who has a franchise tag. You need someone who can protect. You can, and this has been proven, find them in the later rounds. There are smart ways to build a football team, and there are dumb ways. You don't trade away multiple picks, in less than a five year span, to move up in drafts. The Jets have already done this in a five year span.

Besides, Chad doesn't need someone who makes many millions a year. He just needs a bodyguard. Who's to say Adrian Jones isn't that guy? Herm and the rest obviously think so.

Archived