The Mets Starting Rotation

Maxman

What is it? Serious question. Also, what is Pedro's status? Not looking to talk smack, actually looking for an update on their staff.

I was wondering the same thing about the Yankees staff.

Wang

Mussina

The Japanese dude

Pavano?

????

I was wondering the same thing about the Yankees staff.

Wang

Mussina

The Japanese dude

Pavano?

????

Wang

Petite

Mussina

Kid from Japan

Pavano -- open competition

I am in offseason mode. Did I leave a Yankee out?

That is a pretty solid 1 - 3. Wang had a good year last year in case you missed it.

And Hughes is not that far behind.

Wang had a very good year last year. Can he continue?

Mussina has been more inconsistent that ever, and who knows what Petitte will be able to give you. An aging, injured pitcher from the NL, we know that usually turns out.

The Yanks will mash the ball again this year, though.

Glavine

Hernandez

Maine

Perez

Humber/Pelfrey and throw in your assorted favorite.

Now, I will ask this question-What was their rotation last year?

Minaya relies on getting 5-6 innings out of his starters, and then he turns it over to teh bullpen.

I am not saying that this is the RIGHT way, but it is the MET way. It worked last year. We shall see this year.

Peterson needs to earn his $$

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Petitte.

Scary staff. Hope to win alot of 8-7 games.

scary? we've got a great 1-2 punch.

wang lead the AL in wins, moose is always a lock for a 14-7 type record and a 3.50-ish ERA, pettite is a huge question mark, the japanese dude is an unproven commodity, pavano probably wont play in 07 because of a freak accidentt right before the season starts like a massive hangnail or torn vaginal area.

but anybody we bring in can be better than Jaret Wright

Glavine

Hernandez

Maine

Perez

Humber/Pelfrey and throw in your assorted favorite.

Now, I will ask this question-What was their rotation last year?

Minaya relies on getting 5-6 innings out of his starters, and then he turns it over to teh bullpen.

I am not saying that this is the RIGHT way, but it is the MET way. It worked last year. We shall see this year.

Peterson needs to earn his $$

Well bringing Glavine back for another year was the right move. Even if he takes a step back he was very good last season. Losing Pedro HURTS.

If the Mets bullpen has the same kind of season they don't have much to worry about. IMP Pens are fickle and from year to year the results can vary. That being said if this pen gets it done the Mets are in good shape because Minaya is golden.

Mussina has been more inconsistent that ever, and who knows what Petitte will be able to give you. An aging, injured pitcher from the NL, we know that usually turns out.

Wang is a hell of a lot more of a proven starter in the AL east then Beckett Pepelbon OR Matsuzaka so i really wouldn't talk about him not being proven.

As far as Mussina he had a better ERA+ ERA and WHIP then any pitcher on boston's staff last year. And "Aging injuried" pitchers don't usually pitch 208+ innings 3 out of the last 4 years.

Looks like the boston spin cycle is starting early lol.

Back on topic... The mets rotation does have holes but so do the braves and phillies and the mets can hit much better then either of them. I really wouldn't worry that much even if both Pelfrey and Humber both end up in the starting 5 out of ST.

I still would have loved for us to have picked up another starter but I'm glad Minaya didn't overpay. We are gonna miss all those innings that Oliver gave us out of the pen last year and Chad Bradford. He didn't sign for a lot with Baltimore so I wish we could have kept him. Dave Williams just had neck surgery so he's "iffy" too.

Moose pitched to the tune of a 3.51 ERA in 2006. Not all that inconsistent, especially in teh AL East.

Petitte pitched over 200 innings the past 2 seasons. I would say the injury issues are not a major concern right now.

Any questions asked about Wang can be asked about any young pitcher.

I would say the # 1- #3 are solid for the Yankees.

The yankees aren't a third place team and don't need to spin. Nice try disproving the facts that i made you look stupid with though.

Did you ever say why you wanted to keep randy johnson but don't want to sign roger clemens?

Because they will be similar pitchers next year and A there is no guarantee he's coming here and B we got nothing in return for a player with value in Johnson.

Nice dodge. If they are similar players, why would you want to keep johnson but not want to sign clemens?

It is a fair statement. No one could legit. choose otherwise.;)

Here is the the thing, with at least 5 of those pitchers, you may be very happy if they give you 5 to 6 good innings.

How do you compare the roles that are shaping for the 6th, 7th and 8th innings? I don't knwo specifically, right now. My gut would tell me the Mets have a slight advanyage there.

That is more and more how pitching STAFFS are defined these days.

Here is the the thing, with at least 5 of those pitchers, you may be very happy if they give you 5 to 6 good innings.

How do you compare the roles that are shaping for the 6th, 7th and 8th innings? I don't knwo specifically, right now. My gut would tell me the Mets have a slight advanyage there.

That is more and more how pitching STAFFS are defined these days.

Wang has shown that he can get you past 7 innings. And Moose is for the most part, a 6 inning guy these days. Pettite has the capability to gut out 7+ innings, even though they won't be pretty.

Glavine is for teh most part like Moose, El Duque is hit and miss. One game 7 innings, next game 3. Maine really has a very limited track record, and Perez still needs to show mw something. Maybe the post season was just a 2 week hot streak. He has had 2 rotten seasons.

Your comment about the way pitching staffs are built these days is a major problem throughout Baseball. The complete game has gone away. It is rare these days for anyone to get 10 complete games in a season. I recall a while ago when 30 guys would have 10+ CGs.

Yankees added Britton and Vizcaino, from the Orioles and D'Backs. Both had good seasons in 2006. Add that to Proctor, who hopefully will not be overused, and Farnsworth, who hopefully will only pitch 1 inning at a time, and not back-to-back, and their pen is potentially solid. Mo is the best closer in Baseball History, so we are OK there.

Mets do not have Hernandez or Mota (for 50 games) in 2007. Sure, they signed other guys. And Wagner is still a top level closer. The difference though, is not as great as some may think.

Your comment about the way pitching staffs are built these days is a major problem throughout Baseball. The complete game has gone away. It is rare these days for anyone to get 10 complete games in a season. I recall a while ago when 30 guys would have 10+ CGs.

That is not going to change though. In 2007 Little League baseball will introduce pitch counts starting with 10 year olds.

That is not going to change though. In 2007 Little League baseball will introduce pitch counts starting with 10 year olds.

We are on the way to having teams use a 3 man follow-on for each game. There will be 3 men pitching 3 innings each every 4th day. Watch and see if it happens.:confused:

Perez still needs to show mw something. Maybe the post season was just a 2 week hot streak. He has had 2 rotten seasons.

Oliver Perez doesn't go on hot streaks. He has one dominating game and then 2 or 3 bad games, and then another dominating game, and 2 or 3 bad ones, etc.

I wouldn't call either teams' staff great.

Here's the common points:

- They each have 1 dependable starter (Wang/Glavine). While I would initially give Mussina the edge over El Duque, they're both old and prone to injury. After their #1s, both of them have gigantic question marks in the rotation. None of know how Pettitte's elbow is going to hold up or how Maine and Perez will perform over an entire year. And while both teams have excellent prospects, they may not be ready this season.

- They both have excellent closers, even if both of them are getting up there in age.

I think the Mets have better long relief, but who really knows after rebuilding it over the winter.

Here's the other common point: Both teams are going to win games by scoring heaps of runs. Then they'll both lose in the postseason before the World Series when they run up against a team with superior pitching.

Any long term injuries to key players (Jeter, Wright , Reyes) kills this entire theory.

I wouldn't call either teams' staff great.

Here's the common points:

- They each have 1 dependable starter (Wang/Glavine). While I would initially give Mussina the edge over El Duque, they're both old and prone to injury. After their #1s, both of them have gigantic question marks in the rotation. None of know how Pettitte's elbow is going to hold up or how Maine and Perez will perform over an entire year. And while both teams have excellent prospects, they may not be ready this season.

- They both have excellent closers, even if both of them are getting up there in age.

I think the Mets have better long relief, but who really knows after rebuilding it over the winter.

Here's the other common point: Both teams are going to win games by scoring heaps of runs. Then they'll both lose in the postseason before the World Series when they run up against a team with superior pitching.

Any long term injuries to key players (Jeter, Wright , Reyes) kills this entire theory.

Bottom line both teams have question marks on their staffs. Injury prone and older pitcher question marks, Japanese and young pitchers inexperienced question marks.

It's not a dodge. It just made zero sense in my mind to give johnson away and then hope that clemens signs here.

It was 100% a dodge. Before Johnson was traded, you didn't want him traded. After he was traded, you said you didn't want to sign Clemens. Even though you say yourself that they are similar players. Whether it made sense or not has nothing to do with the question. You wanted to keep one, but don't want to sign the other, who is arguably better, now that the first is gone. I asked why that was, and you answer with these:

"Because they will be similar pitchers next year." Wtf is that? Sure, thats answering the question, just not the one I asked. :confused:

"there is no guarantee he's coming here"

No ****. Still, has nothing to do with the question of why you don't want to sign him.

"we got nothing in return for a player with value in Johnson."

Still, nothing to do with the question I asked.

Like I said, 100% dodging the question.

It was 100% a dodge. Before Johnson was traded, you didn't want him traded. After he was traded, you said you didn't want to sign Clemens. Even though you say yourself that they are similar players. Whether it made sense or not has nothing to do with the question. You wanted to keep one, but don't want to sign the other, who is arguably better, now that the first is gone. I asked why that was, and you answer with these:

"Because they will be similar pitchers next year." Wtf is that? Sure, thats answering the question, just not the one I asked. :confused:

"there is no guarantee he's coming here"

No ****. Still, has nothing to do with the question of why you don't want to sign him.

"we got nothing in return for a player with value in Johnson."

Still, nothing to do with the question I asked.

Like I said, 100% dodging the question.

How the hell am i dodging it when i'm saying i don't want him signed? Giving up johnson for nothing was a mistake but it would've also been a mistake to sign johnson as a FA for 18 million or whatever nutty number clemens is gonna get. My opinion of this hasn't changed at all in the past months. I would've rather traded johnson for some value but now that they traded him for nothing, giving clemens a crazy contract helps nothing.

How the hell am i dodging it when i'm saying i don't want him signed? Giving up johnson for nothing was a mistake but it would've also been a mistake to sign johnson as a FA for 18 million or whatever nutty number clemens is gonna get. My opinion of this hasn't changed at all in the past months. I would've rather traded johnson for some value but now that they traded him for nothing, giving clemens a crazy contract helps nothing.

Oh, so you didn't want to keep Randy Johnson? Thats all you had to say. Now it makes sense.

Archived