Should Andre Tippett be in the HOF?

BP

Tippett in focus

MIAMI -- Former Patriots linebacker Andre Tippett can count on at least one Hall of Fame vote, and it's an influental one.

"I think good players on bad teams are disciminated against in Pro Bowls, in all sorts of recognition, All-Pro teams, and I just think this is a case of a guy who was a great player on mostly bad teams and had very little help on defense," said Sports Illustrated's Peter King, a Hall of Famer voter and well respected voice among pro football writers.

"The reason why I like him so much as a candidate is that here is a guy who played strongside linebacker for the majority of his career, and the big sack guys, the big playmakers on defense, always have played weakside. Lawrence Taylor played weakside. Derrick Thomas played weakside. This guy not only didn't have help on the other side of the field to balance it out, but he also played over the tight end consistently in his career. He fought through that.

"When you average 10 sacks a year in any defense, it's an excellent career. When you average 10 sacks a year playing strongside linebacker on a bad defense with very little help, I think it's a Hall of Fame career. I just hope that some of the voters can get past the fact that the Patriots stunk during that era and see fit to put him in."

Hall of Fame voters are scheduled to meet Saturday to pick this year's inductees.

The guy was a great player who made his living giving Ken O'Brien WWF pile drivers into the Giants Stadium turf..I think he should get in..

I wanted him in the 82 draft..but we had to pick Bob Crable with our 1st rounder:blush: ..the Patriots got him in the 2nd round :Cuss:

I think he should be. He was a great player but he was a complete jerk. I remember asking him for his autograpg when I was about 12 years old or so and he just brushed me off to go stand in a corner. he's a complete jerk but was a great player who would have been considered much greater if not for another #56 who was the best defensive player of all-time that dominated his era.

Anyone who changes the pronunciation of their last name halfway through their career should automatically be excluded.

I think you are thinking of CB Ronnie Lippett who, early in his career pronounced it the way Tippet did his last name but later changed the pronounciation to Lip ett.

The guy was a great player who made his living giving Ken O'Brien WWF pile drivers into the Giants Stadium turf..I think he should get in..

I wanted him in the 82 draft..but we had to pick Bob Crable with our 1st rounder:blush: ..the Patriots got him in the 2nd round :Cuss:

Absolutely not. He was a very good player for a short period of time but has no rings and was no better then Joe Klecko and Klecko is not getting in.

Yes.

For your first 7 reasons, I culd plug in the name mark gastineau and DE and it wouod be accurate...and gastineau is not only not in the HOF, he was a more dominant force during his prime then Tippett was.

Your second 7 reasons are irrelevant. Where Tippett stacks up in team history or the fact that he played X years wiht the same team has no vbearing at all on the HOF.

He was a very very good player for a short period...even a great player for a year or two. But he has no rings (usually a prerequisite for "fringe" guys) and did not by any strech have a HOF craeer.

You want to put him in the Pats HOF...be my guest. He is not an NFL HOFer.

I think Ray Guy should get in.

He was the best at his position.

I agree, I heard Mark Clayton talking yesterday about that. You should be able to select a player to the HOF based on his position, not by comparing him to the rest of the candidates regardless of what position they playefd. It makes no sense to compare apples to oranges.

Tippett is going to be one of those guys whose career is overshadowed by an all time great; Lawrence Taylor.

I think Defensive guys really get overlooked sometimes.

Randy Gradishar was a great ILB with the Denver Broncos. Defensive Player of the year in 1978, 2,000 tackles in 10 years, numerous trips to pro bowl and the backbone of Denver's Orange Crush defense.

Ken Riley: Cornerback Bengals 1969-83: 65 career interceptions which is fifth all time. Career is overshadowed by Mel Blount

you could also throw in guys like Klecko, Robert Brazile of the Oilers who was LT before there was an LT.

Absolutely not. He was a very good player for a short period of time but has no rings and was no better then Joe Klecko and Klecko is not getting in.

Klecko also belongs and while Tippett does not have a SB ring he helped lead his team to a Super Bowl.

For your first 7 reasons, I culd plug in the name mark gastineau and DE and it wouod be accurate...and gastineau is not only not in the HOF, he was a more dominant force during his prime then Tippett was.

gastineau is not in b/c he was a known steroid user, his teammates hated him and he was a 1 dimensional player.

hall of great

not hall of fame

The problem is they have let a ton of undeserving players in, if it was truly the best of the bst like it should be then I'd say no and I'd say no on Klecko too but they let too many really good players in instead of truly all-time greats.

Klecko also belongs and while Tippett does not have a SB ring he helped lead his team to a Super Bowl.

gastineau is not in b/c he was a known steroid user, his teammates hated him and he was a 1 dimensional player.

No offense but I have watching anf following this team religiously since 1966 so I really don't need you to explain to me anything about Mark Gastineau or this teams history.

My POINT was that all the accompishments that were listed for Tippett were not much different then thse for Gastineau. Gastineau was a 6 time pro bowler and, one dimensional or not, was the most feared pass rusher in football for more then half a decade. The steroids? Uh, if you banned all the 1970s and 1980s steroid users from the HOF, you'd be removing a LOT of players. Lawrence taylor played his games on coke and uppers...he's in. Gastineau isnt in because he quit early, was a scab in 1987, and was not very popular amongst poeple outside of NY because of his on field antics. Had he played 3 or 4 more years and achieved the sack numbers he did in his first 7 years, he's probably in the HOF...steroids or not.

As to Tippett...he was an excellent to great player for about 4 years. While his team did go to the SB once, he didnt win (they got killed) and to say he lead them there is a stretch. He was a valuable member of a team that played in the SB...thats all. No rings, short span of dominance...to me that is not HOF material.

Excellent player. Great Patriot. Not a HOFer.

The problem is they have let a ton of undeserving players in, if it was truly the best of the bst like it should be then I'd say no and I'd say no on Klecko too but they let too many really good players in instead of truly all-time greats.

From a jets standpoint, Winston Hill should be in...its a no brainer. 8 time pro bowler, 4 time all NFL, superior pass blocker, blocker for on eof the most immobile QBs ever and kept him clean, and a SB winner.

Klecko I have always been torn on. Despite my loyalty to him, he is fringe at best. Look at his career. 1977-1980 he was very good but never made a pro bowl. 1981 he broke out and was AFC defensive player of the year. 1982 he missed most of the year with a knee injury. 1983 he came back and was moved to DT and had a good year. 1984 as a DT he made the pro bowl after anohter very good but not diminant year. 1985 he moves to NT and had a dominant pro bowl year, 1986 he is very good but misses half the year with a knee, 1987 he comes back mid year and plays OK, goes to INdy ion 1988 and then retires. I love Joe. he was a great Jet. But between injury and lack of truly domianant seasons, Im not sure that adds up to HOF.

yeah i do think he should go in...

at one point he had 35 sacks in 2 years, the most ever in a 2 year span by a linebacker. he also ranks 3rd all time in sacks by linebackers and played on terrible teams.

i don't really care who else is in or not, based on just what he did, he deserves to be in.

From a jets standpoint, Winston Hill should be in...its a no brainer. 8 time pro bowler, 4 time all NFL, superior pass blocker, blocker for on eof the most immobile QBs ever and kept him clean, and a SB winner.

Klecko I have always been torn on. Despite my loyalty to him, he is fringe at best. Look at his career. 1977-1980 he was very good but never made a pro bowl. 1981 he broke out and was AFC defensive player of the year. 1982 he missed most of the year with a knee injury. 1983 he came back and was moved to DT and had a good year. 1984 as a DT he made the pro bowl after anohter very good but not diminant year. 1985 he moves to NT and had a dominant pro bowl year, 1986 he is very good but misses half the year with a knee, 1987 he comes back mid year and plays OK, goes to INdy ion 1988 and then retires. I love Joe. he was a great Jet. But between injury and lack of truly domianant seasons, Im not sure that adds up to HOF.

I don't put too much stock in Pro Bowls b/c alot of time undeserving players make it but Joe did make it at 3 different positions.

I would think so , this was about the time when I was just getting into football (I'm sorry) and it was all about Lippett and Tippett. Tippett was a beast who if I remember rightly was very adept at martial arts as well. I have no doubt if he came into the league as a young man he would be an impact player even now.

Yes he should be in the HOF.

yeah i do think he should go in...

at one point he had 35 sacks in 2 years, the most ever in a 2 year span by a linebacker. he also ranks 3rd all time in sacks by linebackers and played on terrible teams.

i don't really care who else is in or not, based on just what he did, he deserves to be in.

Gastineau had 42 sacks over two years (1983 and 1984), he also had 26 over 25 games in seasons (16 games in 1981 and 9 in strike shortened 1982). 2 season spans do not make a HOFer nor do sack totals.

As to Tippett, your facts are incorrect. He is not 3rd all time amongst LBs...LT, Rickey Jackson (wh was just as good as Tippett BTW), Pat Swilling and Derrick Thomas are all in the top 20 all time (Tippett is not). And the fact that Tippett had 1 career int tells me he was as one dimensional as a LB as gastineau was as a DE.

I don't put too much stock in Pro Bowls b/c alot of time undeserving players make it but Joe did make it at 3 different positions.

Yes but was his career dominant? How many truly dominating yars did he have? I count 2. 1981 and 1985. His other two pro bowl years at DT (83 and 84) were mostly on rep as neihter he nor the jets D was particularly good those years.

As to Hill...SB winner, 4 time all-PRO (not pro bowler, all pro), 8 time pro bowler, 15 year career. THAT is a HOFer.

And until the mid 90s, the fans did not vote for the pro bowl...the players and coaches did.

Gastineau had 42 sacks over two years (1983 and 1984), he also had 26 over 25 games in seasons (16 games in 1981 and 9 in strike shortened 1982). 2 season spans do not make a HOFer nor do sack totals.

As to Tippett, your facts are incorrect. He is not 3rd all time amongst LBs...LT, Rickey Jackson (wh was just as good as Tippett BTW), Pat Swilling and Derrick Thomas are all in the top 20 all time (Tippett is not). And the fact that Tippett had 1 career int tells me he was as one dimensional as a LB as gastineau was as a DE.

I SAID TIPPETT HAD THE HIGHEST SACK TOTAL 2 YEARS IN A ROW FOR A LINEBACKER, GASTINEAU WAS NOT A LINEBACKER!

Yyes, you are right about the other part. i got my stats mixed up, he was 6th all time for linebackers, but to be fair, he was the only one that played on the strong side, which tells me he would have been covering tight ends quite a bit. he also had the 4th highest sack per game average of any linebacker ever.

i still say he is deserving, and again, im not comparing him to any other players who are in or who aren't in, but just whether i believe that he should be in on his own accord.

Yes but was his career dominant? How many truly dominating yars did he have? I count 2. 1981 and 1985. His other two pro bowl years at DT (83 and 84) were mostly on rep as neihter he nor the jets D was particularly good those years.

As to Hill...SB winner, 4 time all-PRO (not pro bowler, all pro), 8 time pro bowler, 15 year career. THAT is a HOFer.

And until the mid 90s, the fans did not vote for the pro bowl...the players and coaches did.

so he wasn't dominant in 1984 when he had 18.5 sacks?

I SAID TIPPETT HAD THE HIGHEST SACK TOTAL 2 YEARS IN A ROW FOR A LINEBACKER, GASTINEAU WAS NOT A LINEBACKER!

Yyes, you are right about the other part. i got my stats mixed up, he was 6th all time for linebackers, but to be fair, he was the only one that played on the strong side, which tells me he would have been covering tight ends quite a bit. he also had the 4th highest sack per game average of any linebacker ever.

i still say he is deserving, and again, im not comparing him to any other players who are in or who aren't in, but just whether i believe that he should be in on his own accord.

I am aware of what yo were talking about. I wa smaking a comparison base doin sack totals. And a 3-4 LB like Tippett was essentially the same as a 4-3 DE like Gastineau. Tippett was NOT a complete LB. He was not a great guy in coverage (as evidenced by his 1 career pick) as was essntially a stand-up rush lineman. Thus the comparison to a DE is warranted. And to me, sack totals are not indicative of HOF worth...or else Gastineau would get more consideration.

And I am not aksing this next question to be condecending...just for info. How much did you see Tippett play? because I saw him play a LOT and he was not a big coverage guy. In the Pats 3-4, that was left to guys like Blackmon, Nelson and rembert...not Tippett. Tippett was a pin the ears back type player.

Excellent player...not a HOF. Simlar to a Ricky Jackson who is also not a HOFer.

Randy Gradishar was a great ILB with the Denver Broncos. Defensive Player of the year in 1978, 2,000 tackles in 10 years, numerous trips to pro bowl and the backbone of Denver's Orange Crush defense.QUOTE]

Randy Gradishar was the first player that came to my mind as well. I am not sure if any ILB in a 3-4 has made the HOF yet and Gradishar was one of the best. The OLBs get most of the sacks and recognition but he was a key member of some very good Broncos teams.

Klecko should be in already and Gastineau deserves a look as well.